2016 bleach prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to not have any luck with finding any Wal Mart Chlorinating liquid anymore - and as mentioned they raised the price too. What I am now finding is all old stuff (16-070) and I've elected to go back to Equate brand 8.25% Bummer...
Equate? Do you mean Great Value? I just put my last 2 gallons of 10% with date codes of 166 in my stenner storage tank. I'm planning on buying the great value bleach at I think $3 a gallon, give or take a few cents. Either that or a 3 pack of clorox at Sam's for $9. I'll be interested to see if they even have any of the pool chlorine left though. With any luck, sales dried up when they upped the price, and they got the hint.

I'm buying at Target at 5% Redcard and 5% Cartwheel discount ($3.02 minutes 10%), cheapest stuff in Austin these days. 100+ degrees every day the chlorine seems to be getting eaten up faster! And the pool used a lot more! I only keep 3 gallons in my stenner tank, since it degrades pretty fast outdoors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've been buying liquid "shock" from Ocean State Job Lot. It's 12.5%, a case of four gallons for $11.99. Hasn't seemed "old" as it brings my FC levels up just fine per Pool Math.
Vito, OSJL have very high turnover of their chlorine product so it usually fresh, I bought 12 gallons yesterday (Friday day 225 of 2016) at the Enfield CT store and it was date code as day 224, which means that it was one day old when I bought it..

I am frustrated with the price of bleach in DFW. Best I can get is .30 an ounce for reliable date, good storage practices and strength. FYI, I am using the chlorine price per ounce calculator to get the price per ounce. I am in Keller and have searched all local stores and the "deal" was the Wal-Mart $2.50 gallon for 10% but now that the price has increased its not the deal it was. There is a local pool store selling 12.5% in refillable jugs but i noticed they only keep a few 4 gallon totes inside. The remainder stored outside...in the blistering heat. Anyone in DFW...is there a better deal than .30 an ounce?

I am frustrated with the price of bleach in DFW. Best I can get is .30 an ounce for reliable date, good storage practices and strength. FYI, I am using the chlorine price per ounce calculator to get the price per ounce. I am in Keller and have searched all local stores and the "deal" was the Wal-Mart $2.50 gallon for 10% but now that the price has increased its not the deal it was. There is a local pool store selling 12.5% in refillable jugs but i noticed they only keep a few 4 gallon totes inside. The remainder stored outside...in the blistering heat. Anyone in DFW...is there a better deal than .30 an ounce?
Target with Cartwheel and Redcard = 27 cents

My Wal Mart hasn't had liquid chlorine 2 out of the last 3 times I went. Do they normally stop stocking in August? Should I be prepared to look somewhere else? I bought Walmart brand 8.25% because I'm in the middle of a SLAM so I didn't have the luxury of time to research places and prices.

My walmart seems to have stopped stocking also. They are the only local place that I have found selling it. Three pool stores in town do not carry liquid and push tablets on you if you ask. I will probably buy in bulk next year from a local chemical supply.... once I get my stenner going.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt the walmart thing is seasonal. Sales probably just fell off and it wasn't worth it to them to continue stocking it at 2.50 a gallon.

I am not all that worried. I'm just using 8.25% household bleach (great value, or clorox, both of which I can get at $3/bottle) and it degrades slower than the 10% out in the heat where my stenner storage tank is located.

Curious if there's a way to test exact % you really get. I've been looking at Msds sheets on Clorox and other off brands of 8.25%. They all say contains "5-10%" or "6-9%". I guess that's too cover their ***** on shelf life deterioration. But makes me wonder...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The easiest way to test is in your pool! Enter 8.25% in poolmath with your current and desired FC level. Say you add enough bleach to theoretically go from 2 to 5 ppm FC. After the addition has been allowed to mix, retest the FC and see how close it got. If it's at 5 ppm, the bleach is right on. If it's at 4.5 ppm, the actual percent is around (4.5-2)/(5-2)*(8.25) = around 7 ppm.

Here in central NC I think the Walmart 10% price of $2.50 is going away. I was able to pick up 15 gallons a few weeks ago but I caused chaos at checkout. Luckily for me, the price tag on the shelf showed $2.50 but the registers were ringing up at $3.68. They honored the $2.50 price.

I did pick up some 8.25% bleach at Aldi for $1.39 (64 Ounces). Comes out to .21/ounce which is the lowest I've seen it.

Here in central NC I think the Walmart 10% price of $2.50 is going away. I was able to pick up 15 gallons a few weeks ago but I caused chaos at checkout. Luckily for me, the price tag on the shelf showed $2.50 but the registers were ringing up at $3.68. They honored the $2.50 price.

I did pick up some 8.25% bleach at Aldi for $1.39 (64 Ounces). Comes out to .21/ounce which is the lowest I've seen it.
I get .263 for that 8.25% per calculator here:
Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

I see a $2.45 ad at Dollar General for their DG Home brand. Anyone know if it's 8.25%?

Just picked up 6 at Target for $2.72, date 202.

Was at my local Walmart yesterday - they've been at $3.64 for the 10%/1 gal for at least the last 2 months, and yesterday it looked they had completely de-stocked the 10% chlorinating liquid. End cap where it normally sits was empty and there was none to be found elsewhere. They must figure it's the end of summer already....anyway back to regular 8.25% for me.

Was at my local Walmart yesterday - they've been at $3.64 for the 10%/1 gal for at least the last 2 months, and yesterday it looked they had completely de-stocked the 10% chlorinating liquid. End cap where it normally sits was empty and there was none to be found elsewhere. They must figure it's the end of summer already....anyway back to regular 8.25% for me.

Same here. As old as the liquid chlorine (newest I've been able to find is day 182 julian date , is at Walmart and being able to find 8.5% GV concentrated bleach that is only 7-10 days old by Julian date . I feel I'm splitting hairs on which one is actually more concentrated with chlorine. So I am getting the GV bleach at $2.94 minus 10% - so actually about $2.65 before taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. As old as the liquid chlorine (newest I've been able to find is day 182 julian date , is at Walmart and being able to find 8.5% GV concentrated bleach that is only 7-10 days old by Julian date . I feel I'm splitting hairs on which one is actually more concentrated with chlorine. So I am getting the GV bleach at $2.94 minus 10% - so actually about $2.65 before taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you getting an extra 10% off at Walmart?

Same at our Wal-marts. All pool supplies have been replaced with college student supplies. The Great Value 8.25% was $2.96/121oz. There is a $1/64oz "Top Choice" but it doesn't have a concentration and I couldn't find anything about it online. I bought a couple jugs. I'm going to try them in the pool and see what effect they have. If it is close to 8.25%, it will be great. That'll be my daily add, almost exactly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.