2005 D1 rebuild

RDspaguy

In The Industry
Mar 21, 2020
Cabool, Mo
Ok, as promised, here it is...
This one is a 2005 Dimension One Nautilus. I actually paid something for this tub, which is not the norm for my rebuilds, but it was too nice to pass up.
This one is no great adventure like the last two. No frozen pipes or rotted frame here, just a little detective work and a list of expensive parts.
20210403_120146.jpg20210403_120123.jpg
I got this tub from another tech I know who picked it up but hadn't had time to get into it very far. He knew it needed a topside and maybe circuit board. Otherwise, it was a minor freeze risk and pumps supposedly worked before a winter in a garage. It has serious scale on the shell, the cover is junk, the recycled plastic side panels are sun bleached on one side, and it has no pillows. (Sigh...)
So, first I blocked it up and fixed the leak at the light that I found while using it to hold the water while I fixed the other D1 I was working on. This has a light that is accessed from inside the spa, so you must drain it to replace the light bulb. PITA! And the removable face sticks and, if you aren't careful, you twist the whole flange fitting instead of the faceplate. So I pulled the flange, replaced gasket and o-ring, and cut out behind the cooling fan to access the light from the equipment area. A few choice words were said, some blood was shed, but it got done.20210403_120111.jpg 20210403_120058.jpg20210403_120313.jpg20210403_120329.jpg
So it has been full but not running for 2 weeks, no leaks with COLD water. I replaced pump 1 with a used pump I had as it had a locked rotor. I have it running automated functions but no heat and no display or buttons on topside. Auxiliary button will turn on pump 1, and both pumps act as they should for filter cycles. Circ pump (looks new) is running great.
I can tell that the flow switch is not original, that the high limit sensor has been changed, and that the temp sensor is not routed as original so was likely changed (no other reason to remove it in the first place). I suspect the heater is also newer from the condition of the terminals compared to the other metal parts around them, and I can see the scratches in the box from when it was scratched by channel locks removing the chase nipple, which you only do to replace the heater.
So I suspect the previous owner put a bunch of money into a circ pump, heater, and sensors just to have the topside and possibly circuit board Crud out shortly after. He bought a used tub from the guy I got this one from, who hauled this one off.
I happen to own 2 of the ($500) circuit boards from a former D1 dealer getting rid of old stock that I bought in bulk for cheap.
The topside runs as low as $310 on some sites, but is currently out of stock almost everywhere. It seems the gecko factory in Canada has been closed due to covid and is out of a bunch of items. After several days of searching everywhere and contacting those that listed it in stock just to be told they did not, in fact, have it. (Many online suppliers are just an order point and do not stock their own parts. You order from them and they order from their supplier, who gives them a discount (and profit margin) for high volume purchasing.) I finally found it with someone who said they had it. I ordered it Friday, $480, so we'll see if it shows up.
I also ordered a new cover, pillows, diverter gate,, and auxiliary button.
I am on the fence about an ozonator. (I know, shocking right!) I love ozone, but this is a 2005, which is right on the cusp of being a cover eating injection system. I would have to install a mixing chamber and I have ZERO room in the equipment bay and no play on the plumbing. I would have to cut out part of the equipment bay wall and dig out foam to access the plumbing behind it to get a mixing chamber in there. Since it won't really add any resale value, I doubt I will bother.
I dropped the ph into the yellow to clear off this scale. I filled it higher than the worst of the waterline scale, not realizing just how bad it was.
20210403_120031.jpg
So now I have it filled to the brim working on the rest. It's amazing what acid does to limestone (aka "scale").
I sanded a small spot on the bleached out side and it cleaned up nice without too much trouble, so I think that's the route I'll take to "refinish".
I will be bringing both pumps in for bearings and putting in seals myself.
My investment will be about $2k plus a $500 circuit board and (a bunch of) my labor. I will be asking $5k.
I will keep you posted as I go.

if you aren't careful, you twist the whole flange fitting instead of the faceplate.
speaking from experience I am sure! Bet the first one you did just that and learned from that.

HOW did you learn to do this kind of thing? Is there a "school" or was it the school of hard knocks and by the seat of your pants?
A few choice words were said, some blood was shed, but it got done.
WHY?? WHY am I doing this????????????? as the air goes blue from the adule words!

Does your little one "help" with any of the work?
So I suspect the previous owner put a bunch of money into a circ pump, heater, and sensors just to have the topside and possibly circuit board Crud out shortly after. He bought a used tub from the guy I got this one from, who hauled this one off.
Well this will work out for you! Kind of feel sorry of the owner to have done so much and it now work.
I happen to own 2 of the ($500) circuit boards from a former D1 dealer getting rid of old stock that I bought in bulk for cheap.
SCORE!!!

Man that scale IS bad! So you use low pH aka acid (muriatic acid??) to get the scale off? How is this different than say CLR?

HOW did you learn to do this kind of thing?
I was an electrician. It was winter and I was laid off and looking for work. I saw an ad wanting electrical and plumbing experience. With the (mistaken) belief that anyone with opposable thumbs can swear copper, I applied. That was Morgan spas. Turns out I didn't do much with copper.
I got an sta (standard troubleshooting approach) manual and had the electrical know-how from IBEW local #1 to read and understand it.
Unfortunately, at the time they were non-digital, wire it however you want controls. The guy before me knew his stuff and I rarely saw a spa that matched the wiring diagram. In frustration, I demanded that the company send someone to train me or I would quit. They sent someone...
We go to first job, I knock, customer answers. I look at him, he looks at me, customer is looking at us both like we are crazy standing there looking at each other saying nothing. So I say "Hi, we're here to look at the spa"...
We are at the spa. I look at him, he looks at me. I think "he wants to see what I know already..." so I start pulling sides and opening the equipment pack. I look at him, he looks at me... So I grab my trust tester and start doing my thing. Locate the problem, send him to the truck to get the part. Finished, tested, and bill presented, we get in the truck.
I look at him (irritated) and he looks at me... He says "I have no idea why they sent me here to train you, I can't do what you just did. I work in the factory and have never even seen the inside of one of those control boxes before." For 2 weeks I had a gopher being paid to ride around with me and put up in a hotel on the company dime.
That was my "training". Oh sure, I have been to numerous seminars, which are more about product knowledge than repairs, but that was "school" for me. What I know I learned by doing. It just takes the confidence to know you can put it back together after you tear it apart. I have had a few co-workers over the years who taught me this or that trick, but mostly trial and (many) error school of learning.

Does your little one "help" with any of the work?
Sometimes. He has comprehension issues, not really autism but similar, so his "help" is usually anything but help. But he is of course encouraged and praised for his efforts, however unhelpful they may be.

of feel sorry of the owner to have done so much
Yeah, it's not uncommon. I call it "the domino effect". One thing after another and many people get a new one rather than keep dealing with it. It can take weeks or even months to get a good spa tech to your house.
So you use low pH aka acid (muriatic acid??) to get the scale off? How is this different than say CLR?
I drop the ph in the tub with muriatic and raise the water level and let it do it's thing. That line in the scale was the water line. If it can't be reached by water level (on the shoulder) I will use 50/50 muriatic / water and a stack of rags to lay on it. Time is key, and will save you a ton of elbow grease.
Never used clr myself...

I was an electrician.
So spa repair was really in your tool box with that training. The water/plumbing part not so much but like you said not used as much.
I demanded that the company send someone to train me or I would quit. They sent someone...

I can't do what you just did. I work in the factory and have never even seen the inside of one of those control boxes before." For 2 weeks I had a gopher being paid to ride around with me and put up in a hotel on the company dime.
sigh................well at least he was good for running to get part ????
What I know I learned by doing. It just takes the confidence to know you can put it back together after you tear it apart. I have had a few co-workers over the years who taught me this or that trick, but mostly trial and (many) error school of learning.
by the seat of your pants training then! Best way for many things.
Sometimes. He has comprehension issues, not really autism but similar, so his "help" is usually anything but help. But he is of course encouraged and praised for his efforts, however unhelpful they may be.
Good parenting! Hard to do but will pay off in the end!
I call it "the domino effect". One thing after another
Seen that many times. Not fun to deal with for anyone.

5??? Oh my yeah NO freedom for sure! Dad is a full time job all on it's own!
Oh, you don't even know...
I was 19 when my first was born, so she is 31 this year, and my youngest girl just turned one at Christmas. In between are a 28 year old son, a 26 year old daughter, and my 8 year old chief tester. I had just got the first round moving out when my second wife (who helped raise my kids for most of their lives) decided she wanted some of her own. Who was I to say no? She did a fine job with the three that weren't even hers. So here we are... There are few dull moments.;)
20210404_120502.jpg

Happy Easter everyone!

So I haven't received the topside that Hot Tub Outpost said by email that they had in stock. I had my doubts when I ordered it, so am not really surprised. What does surprise me is that they refused to respond to any of my many email inquiries, as if they were avoiding me. It took all of 15 minutes for someone to respond that they had the part they did not have, but 5 days and still no reply to my inquiries. I finally managed to reach a live person and got a refund today.
Too little too late, in my opinion. I would be done with the tub if I hadn't wasted time with their bs. I can get a balboa retrofit board, topside, and transformer for just a few $ more than they were charging for this gecko topside. I have an old D1 balboa box with all the mounts and extras I need. I should have just gone that route to begin with, I suspected they were lying about having the part.
So watch out for hot tub outpost, they will lie to get your order then ignore you completely.
Now I have an auxiliary button that I can't use or return. It was only $36 so we won't have to eat Ramen all week or anything because of it, but it still adds a whole other level of irritation with Hot Tub Outpost.
Maybe I should start a thread about them. I'm sure I am not the only person to have problems with them. I am not usually vindictive, but they really crossed the line for me by first lying then refusing to respond. That is just unacceptable.
Anyway, (as I climb off my soapbox) I will be ordering the balboa retrofit kit from Pool Spa Supplies and will keep you posted on my progress.

Reactions: dan1333

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to leave everyone hanging in suspense, I know how you all look forward to hearing my adventures. 🤪
So... the Balboa retrofit kit from PSS is also on backorder. Covid strikes again! :rolleyes: I am putting this one on the back burner for now and moving on to the next one in line. I will update this thread when I get back to it.

Reactions: kimkats and dan1333
Ok. Finally getting back to it. Got the parts, cleaned it up, and it's running. New circuit board, topside, auxilliary topside, pillows, diverter gate, and pump seals. Circ pump and heater are both not original and look pristine.
Tried out some of @Ahhsomeguy 's new stuff to purge. Talk about nasty. This tub has been sitting all summer with a leaking cover, wasps nesting under it and mud daubers building in the spa, with leaves and muck in the bottom. Dead frog floating and mosquito babies stuck to the bottom. It was pretty bad, so of course I tested out the aquaclarity on it. 😁 That foam didn't have gunk on it, it was made of gunk. I hit it twice with the recommended 3oz of mix, and might just do it again when I drain it to load it up.
Some pics...
20211031_163037.jpg20211030_151111.jpg20211030_142254.jpg20211031_163054.jpg20211031_163017.jpg20211027_140812.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Hi RD: Glad you tried our new purge/weekly maintenance Aqua Clarity. You mention that you hit It with the 3 ounces of mix twice. Just to make sure for next time our dosage requirement is to add 3 ounces of the Aqua Clarity, after it has been mixed with tap water, for each 100 gallons of water in the hot tub. So, a 400 gallon tub needs 12 ounces of the mixed Aqua Clarity and not 3 ounces. If you did use the 3 ounces only I would definitely hit it again to make sure the purge was successful. The Aqua Clarity is a very unique product. We sell the concentrate and the hot tub owner mixes it into their own gallon jug. This gallon container is enough material to purge a 400 gallon hot tub twice and still let you add one ounce for each 200 gallons as a weekly maintenance program. This will help mitigate the reoccurrence of biofilms on an ongoing basis. Plus, the water quality and clarity will be phenomenal. No need for any other chemicals other than a sanitizer and pH plus or minus on occasion. No need for anything else after the water is balanced according to the TFP recommendations.
Stop and think of what you will save. Using the bleach/dichlor method with the Aqua Clarity program, your yearly out of pocket for all chemicals are around $100.00 for an entire year. I have been using our new product for almost 2 years now In my 420 gallon stand alone in-ground hot tub. After balancing the initial fill, the pH and TA stay in range with almost no adjustments And crystal clear water every single day. If you have a Salt Water Generator, you will now get much more life from your electrolytic cell Because of what the Aqua Clarity is doing 24/7, you can also decrease or turn down the amount of chlorine you generate. RD, use the product as we outline in the instructions and you will see a product that delivers what we promise. I must say RD, doing what you do to resurrect these spas back into service requires a great deal of expertise and patience. Whoever purchases that tub from you RD will be getting one that has been well serviced and upgraded. Best wishes on selling this tub.

@Ahhsomeguy , I was surprised how much crud came out with what I used. And this is a big open tub, easily 400 gallons or more, I'd say. So I was only using 1/4 of the dose, and it still brought out a bunch.
I think I'll save the aqua clarity for my tub (if I ever get it fixed) and use up the rest of the gel on this next purge. I'm curious to try your weekly treatment.

The weekly treatment is the best part of the Aqua Clarity program. Two ounces a week for your tub and the product lasts you over 1 year and rewards you with the best water you’ve ever sunk your body into. RD, this program is a game changer. Please use this as you say on your personal tub.. You’ll see!

Reactions: RDspaguy
Up and running for a few days. The newest member of my testing department likes it THIS much...
received_391229626019009.jpeg
Unfortunately, her daddy has a different opinion.
I have found that the circ pump loses flow when pump 1 is on high. The circ pump still runs, but the flow switch opens. This means the main pump is starving the circ pump. Since D1 has a check valve (that can fail) between the filter and footwell suctions, this would make sense if the circ pump and main pump pulled off of the same line. But they don't. The circ pump has a dedicated filter from what I and everyone else can recall. So, that part where I said this wouldn't be an adventure...:rolleyes:
I have also found leaks. Dug out one corner and it appears to be jet gaskets.
20211108_150353.jpg
So I get to drain it again to fix that. :party:
Ahh, the joys of spa repair...;)

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.