2 year pool owner looking for a new way!

audi_driver_

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 27, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy from Houston! Im a two year in ground pool owner and have been mostly guessing on what chems to use, randomly adding chlorine tablets, and relying on the pool store. As expected that left me with a pool that was constantly fluctuating from sparkling to not-sparkling. I love the DIY low-cost and no nonsense/just test approach and look forward to obsessing over the pool the next few months.

Currently trying to figure out the pool volume which is proving to be a little more tricky than LxWxH with my Grecian pool that is deepest in the center and tapers to ~3ft on either end.

Pool.jpg

Reactions: jsygrls
HEY!!! Welcome to TFP! Great place to hang out, you have a beautiful pool. I'm jealous.

Do you have an *estimate* of your pool volume? Use that estimate, maybe even 1000-2000 low and put it in pool math. when it comes time to do an addition, like chlorine or muriatic, add what pool math tells you to add, then test 30 minutes later. If the addition was spot on (your results matched expectations) you have the right pool volume. If the resulting change was smaller than you expected (FC should have gone to 5, but went to 4), then your pool is bigger, add 500 gallons to your pool volume in pool math. If the change was bigger, then reduce your volume in pool math by 500 gallons. Add or subtract 500 multiple times until you results match expectations and you will have a good approximation of your pool volume!

HEY!!! Welcome to TFP! Great place to hang out, you have a beautiful pool. I'm jealous.

Do you have an *estimate* of your pool volume? Use that estimate, maybe even 1000-2000 low and put it in pool math. when it comes time to do an addition, like chlorine or muriatic, add what pool math tells you to add, then test 30 minutes later. If the addition was spot on (your results matched expectations) you have the right pool volume. If the resulting change was smaller than you expected (FC should have gone to 5, but went to 4), then your pool is bigger, add 500 gallons to your pool volume in pool math. If the change was bigger, then reduce your volume in pool math by 500 gallons. Add or subtract 500 multiple times until you results match expectations and you will have a good approximation of your pool volume!

Excellent idea! Ive downloaded the app and and already feeling info overload setting in.

Excellent idea! Ive downloaded the app and and already feeling info overload setting in.
Yeah, I kinda felt that way after getting pool stored. That feeling wains fast. Now it is like riding a bike and chewing gum at the same time...I don't think about it anymore. Super simple. May take a bit of time to read and understand. May take some number of questions here (there are no bad questions). Also, the search function on the site is worth its weight in gold. I can find answers to almost any question I have.

Do you have a test kit? If not, here is a good comparison --> Test Kits Compared (click the blue link).

Reactions: audi_driver_
I have a k2006C which I’ve under utilized. I guess it’s as simple as getting my initial baseline readings, throwing them in the Pool Math app and adding chemicals as necessary.

Reactions: PoolStored