2 speed pump for 24' ABG pool? Edit - Also connecting 2" pipe to new pump see post 22

amoses

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2009
Keene, Texas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I have a 24' abg pool that is old and I am replacing with an Aurora Resin Wall saltwater pool and Circupool Edge-40 swcg (I think, maybe the rj-45). I have a single speed 1.5 HP pump right now, sand filter, but think I should go to a 2 speed pump. However, I am not sure exactly the best way to use one. Do you just run them all the time on low speed? if so, then what is the high speed for? Do you put it on some kind of timer so that it runs part of the time on low and part of the time on high? if so, how do you wire it up to to to that? Or do they have some kind of built in timer function?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I tried searching threads, but it was confusing me worse, lol.

Most just run on low all the time (or whenever you run it) for regular filtering/skimming. High is mostly just used for vacuuming & backwashing. You can just use a regular mechanical timer with it switched to low for however long u wish to run it daily & then over ride it (turn it off) if u need to switch to high to vac or backwash etc.

Reactions: derekm
I would go to a VS pump, many more options for speed and saving money... and these probably cost less than the 2 speed your looking at :)

I run a Hayward 2 speed 1.5hp matrix pump 24/7. But keep in mind these pumps aren't 1.5hp they're 1hp at best.

I'm mentioning that because a real 1.5hp pump costs a small fortune and is far from necessary for your 24' AGP pool.

I do not know anything about the pumps cowboy posted so they may be great but the VS ones I've looked at were a lot more money than a simple 2 speed pump. A 2 speed pump also has less to go wrong.

For now I'm voting 2 speed pump 24/7 but reserve the right to change my vote. 😉

That is a great write up & takes the mystery out of it mostly. At the beginning of this season my 1.5hp single speed Carvin above ground pump was to be replaced under warranty - i asked if they would be giving me a 2 speed due to the new regulations (the only info I could find at the time just eluded to the discontinuation of single speed above 1hp) & they had no clue what I was talking about. The only thing they carry is single speed 1.5 hp. & they had a room full of them.

For a new pool with a SWCG, the VS pump is such an easy choice. Mine runs at 196 watts, 24/7, generating chlorine happily. Been the best choice I’ve made in regards to the pool, ever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run my 2 speed pump on low 4-8 hours per day in my 24' AGP - just long enough to be sure there's good circulation. Since my solar cover is on most of the time, skimming isn't much needed. If it is, I might run a little longer.

I haven't run it more than 2 hours this season on high speed since I got a robot cleaner.

No need to pay VSP prices.

My 2 speed pump does 896 watts in high. 171 watts in low.
I run my 2 speed pump on low 4-8 hours per day in my 24' AGP - just long enough to be sure there's good circulation. Since my solar cover is on most of the time, skimming isn't much needed. If it is, I might run a little longer.

I haven't run it more than 2 hours this season on high speed since I got a robot cleaner.

No need to pay VSP prices.

if a pump does not say that it is "salt" friendly, will it still be okay? I was looking at this Hayward Matrix 2 speed pump. What do you think? I know both of you guys have a hayward matrix pump. Was it listed as a salt water pump?

I'm pretty sure it would be salt friendly since there's a good chance a consumer will be using it for salt water. The only part that I can think of to differentiate or make it more salty compatible would be the shaft seal.

if a pump does not say that it is "salt" friendly, will it still be okay? I was looking at this Hayward Matrix 2 speed pump. What do you think? I know both of you guys have a hayward matrix pump. Was it listed as a salt water pump?
All pools are salt pools to various degrees, don’t worry.

I run a Hayward 2 speed 1.5hp matrix pump 24/7. But keep in mind these pumps aren't 1.5hp they're 1hp at best.

I'm mentioning that because a real 1.5hp pump costs a small fortune and is far from necessary for your 24' AGP pool.

I do not know anything about the pumps cowboy posted so they may be great but the VS ones I've looked at were a lot more money than a simple 2 speed pump. A 2 speed pump also has less to go wrong.

For now I'm voting 2 speed pump 24/7 but reserve the right to change my vote. 😉
I bought the same pump as you for my pool. It was on EBAY for $379 - $30 cheaper than the sellers online store price. I hope I made the right choice and that it lasts quite a while. It was much cheaper than the VS pumps I looked at. I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. Now I just have to order the pool and SWCG, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.