2 speed motor & SWG flow switch

Jul 20, 2017
Lake Winnebago, MO
Need some advice here, current set-up is a 3/4 HP single speed motor (AO Smith SK1072) running on 110V attached to a Hayward EZ-FLO pump, Hayward S-200 sand filter, plumbing is very simple all 1 1/2" lines, 2 return lines, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, I do have a Rainbow 320 plumbed in that I use when on vacation or when I need to raise my CYA levels, the equipment pad is about 30' from pool so the lines are lengthy nothing else in the plumbing. I do have it on a timer currently. I'm looking to make some improvements over winter they go as follows.

1) Switch power supply over to 220
2) Change out the energy hog single stage motor to a 2 stage model sts1072rv1
3) Add a SWG to the system and plump the cell in where I currently have the Rainbow 320 so I can use the Rainbow in early spring/fall when I need to.

My questions are, will the 2 speed pump running at low speed provide enough flow to allow the SWG to turn on, I've read that some of the systems require around 25 gpm or some folks have had issues with getting enough flow, are there better systems that will still turn on with less flow? I understand to oversize at least 2X's pool size, mines 21000 IG pool, Ive been looking at a few systems, Hayward, circupool, and pureline, all but the Hayward offer systems up to 60,000 and would go with the larger.

Thoughts, is there anything I should consider? I have thought about a VS motor but really do not see the need as long as the 2 speed motor will allow enough flow to turn on SWG. I don't think I would recup the initial cost of a VS motor. Thanks in advance for replies.

From what I've read running a 2 speed motor on low will close the flow switch for SWG. Many people report running at 1200 RPM to close the switch with VS pumps and I think the low speed is typically around 1700 RPM. Hopefully others will chime in.

Check with your utility company, many offer rebates for VS pumps.

Companies have different published minimum gpm requirements as well. I believe Hayward's is 15 gpm minimum flow rate while circupool's is 25 gpm. It has been a bit since I looked this up, but I hedged and went with a Hayward for when I switch to 2 speed pump some day. Maybe a bit unfounded by me, but good piece of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.