2 Single Speed Pumps to 1 Variable Speed Pump?

FLPool3

Jun 14, 2023
Florida
Hi,

Pool Size = 15,000 gallons, salt water, Spa with spillover to pool
Current setup = Jandy Truclear Pro Series Salt System, Jandy Cartridge Filter, 2 Jandy Single Speed Pumps (1.25HP for Pool, 2.25HP for Spa), Aqualink System

I'm replacing my old gas heater for an Electric Heat Pump. While I'm updating my heater, I thought it would be a good idea to update the equipment. I've had a few pool companies out and they are all recommending different setups.

Questions:

1. Should I re-plumb my entire setup (PVC, Valves, etc.) and go from two pumps to one 2.7HP Jandy VS Speed Pump? Or keep the plumbing as is and upgrade the two pumps to two VS speed pumps (2.7 THP Jandy FloPro pump for the spa and another 1.65 THP Flopro for the pool)? Is there a benefit to have a 2 pump system?

2. Filter - I keep reading that bigger is better but all the pool companies are recommending a CS200 or Hayward 1750. I've read that it would be better to go with a 300+ sq/ft filter cartridge system to improve the flow of the pool and it would also allow me to go longer in-between cleanings

I dont' have any other water features beside the spill over and one small jet on the sundeck.

Please help!IMG_4683.jpegIMG_4682.jpegIMG_4681.jpegIMG_4680.jpegIMG_4679.jpegIMG_4678.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I'm replacing my old gas heater for an Electric Heater. While I'm updating my heater, I thought it would be a good idea to update the equipment. I've had a few pool companies out and they are all recommending different setups.
Hopefully, you meant a heat pump on not a resistive heater.

1. Should I re-plumb my entire setup (PVC, Valves, etc.) and go from two pumps to one 2.7HP Jandy VS Speed Pump? Or keep the plumbing as is and upgrade the two pumps to two VS speed pumps (2.7 THP Jandy FloPro pump for the spa and another 1.65 THP Flopro for the pool)? Is there a benefit to have a 2 pump system?
Yes, there is definitely benefits to having a two pump system. I would keep two pumps over one. You get better jet performance with an isolated jet pump that does not need to go through extra equipment. Plus you can still run the pool features while using the spa jets.

2. Filter - I keep reading that bigger is better but all the pool companies are recommending a CS200 or Hayward 1750. I've read that it would be better to go with a 300+ sq/ft filter cartridge system to improve the flow of the pool and it would also allow me to go longer in-between cleanings
I would definitely go with a larger filter especially a cartridge. For some reason, pool builders in FL like to recommend filters that are too small. Ignore them. Filter size is directly related to cleaning frequency. I have 420 sq-ft filter and only clean it once per year.

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, you meant a heat pump on not a resistive heater.

Yes, there is definitely benefits to having a two pump system. I would keep two pumps over one. You get better jet performance with an isolated jet pump that does not need to go through extra equipment. Plus you can still run the pool features while using the spa jets.

I would definitely go with a larger filter especially a cartridge. For some reason, pool builders in FL like to recommend filters that are too small. Ignore them. Filter size is directly related to cleaning frequency. I have 420 sq-ft filter and only clean it once per year.
Thank you for the advice!

Yes, I'm looking at the Gulstream HE 150-RA Heat Pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.