1st time pool guy

thanks mdragger. gonna need to drain some I think. rained pretty hard last night and water level is about 1/2 inch from top opening of skimmer. I finally got FC w/i range... was struggling to get it up and keep it there. Hopefully I will get a better idea of chlorine consumption which will make it easier to maintain. Have a great weekend

Reactions: Mdragger88
5/11/20
pH 7.2
FC 2.5
CC 0
CYA 30
TA 100
CH 80

Is there a lag in realizing results of muriatic acid? I added 3 days ago and pH went from 8 to 7.6 but this morning it was 7.2. Also, weird that TA went back up from 90 2 days ago and CYA went from 40 to 30. Any reason for those changes? I added more FC to get back to 6 but dont want to add borax again and get pH above 8

You can test for pH change when you add muriatic acid in about 30 minutes with pump running.
Your TA of 100 will push your pH up quickly. No need for chemical intervention.

CYA does not change that rapidly unless you drain water. Only test CYA every month or when you make large water exchanges.

TA can only go up due to fill water or chemical additions.

You may be seeing some normal testing variations, etc. Do not concern yourself as long as your parameters, primarily FC and pH, are in range on a daily basis.

it rained a little 2 days ago. just weird that pH went down a good bit and TA went up, and I added the acid on the 8th
I think the pH of rain is around 6. Maybe that caused the pH decrease? Although that may be a stretch.

Last edited:
Newbies at testing frequently get variations that don't quite add up. It's not a knock against newbies, it's a fact of life.

It is akin to learning to drive a car......there's a lot of oversteering and overcorrection and it just takes some time and practice for your results to smooth out and become consistent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am at a loss for trying to figure out how to post a new thread. Can someone help. I know I started this one, but my brain doesn't seem to be working normally lol.

Go to the forum page you want to start a thread in. Upper right it says Post Thread. Click on that -- and your off!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.