1st revision. I am ready to approve? Any last minute thoughts?

ddoggphx

Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We are ready to approve our concept, and have them start the the construction and engineering plans. Before I give them approval, I'd like to make sure that I got some feedback from this group. I'm very happy with the design so far and they've worked within our HOA dumb limits around the wall areas.

We have a relatively small space so we are trying to make the most of it while still maximizing entertainment value.

Ate we missing anything??

Attachments

• Case_Donald 1.0_016.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_016.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Case_Donald 1.0_015.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_015.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Case_Donald 1.0_022.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_022.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Case_Donald 1.0_018.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_018.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Case_Donald 1.0_013.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_013.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Case_Donald 1.0_017.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_017.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Case_Donald 1.0_011.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_011.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Case_Donald 1.0_012.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_012.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Case_Donald 1.0_023.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_023.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 53
  • Case_Donald 1.0_019.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_019.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 56
More

Attachments

• Case_Donald 1.0_021.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_021.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Case_Donald 1.0_021.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_021.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Case_Donald 1.0_020.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_020.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Case_Donald 1.0_006.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_006.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2Db.png
    2Db.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2Da.png
    2Da.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Case_Donald 1.0_001.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_001.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Case_Donald 1.0_007.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_007.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Case_Donald 1.0_002.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_002.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Case_Donald 1.0_014.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_014.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 29
Last 6

Attachments

• Case_Donald 1.0_009.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_009.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Case_Donald 1.0_010.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_010.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Case_Donald 1.0_004.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_004.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Case_Donald 1.0_003.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_003.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Case_Donald 1.0_005.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_005.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Case_Donald 1.0_008.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_008.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 16
Nice pool and back yard! Looks like you've done a great job to maximize use of space. What equipment models are you using and how are you chlorinating? My only other question is how comfortable are you with the contract? Specifically:
  • Is payment based on easily measured milestones for progress and quality? Or just the builder notifies you he's ready for the next draw?
  • Is there a release of liens provision before final payment?
  • Is there a defined performance test prior to each payment and prior to the last payment?
  • Is the scope of work very clear? For example: what does final cleanup consist of? Who disposes of debris? Who does permits? What substitutions are allowable?
  • Is there a schedule with milestones? Has builder verified availability of materials and labor?
  • Is warranty very clear?
  • What are your obligations other than making payment?
  • Have you gotten a certificate of "named insured" from your builder's liability coverage provider.
The reason I ask this is that most pool builders have their contract written by their own attorney who's job is to protect the builder. Almost all are written "one-way" but can easily be modified to be fair to both parties. Many (or even most) pool owners don't check their contract so they sign contracts that are patently not fair. This doesn't matter if everything goes fine. But there are many, many threads on here that describe what happens with a poor contract and construction problems. I am not trying to imply pool builders are not good constructors. It's just that when it comes to contracts nobody that works for the builder is looking after you. You have to do that yourself. Pools are fairly complicated construction and things do go wrong. When that happens the most important thing governing your recourse is the contract.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: ddoggphx
I like your individual components, but I do not like how they flow together especially getting to and from the house.

For example, I like the walkway from the patio to the tanning ledge. Unfortunately, that is the only place where I see a clear path.

I would love to see:
- A path from the house/patio to the pool stairs
- A path from the house/patio to the spa
- A path to the kitchen area.

You could accomplish that by either adding some decking or additional walkways. Also keep in mind that you have virtually no decking as drawn and therefore no place to pool chairs or other furniture. If that is real grass the extra decking would help keep grass clippings out of the pool.

Hope my 2 cents help.

Reactions: ddoggphx and Liz315
The pathways to atleast the steps and hot tub were going to be my comment. If not you will have grass in ur pool and hot tub. Extra decking too to place lounge chairs etc. like the above have mentioned.

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. It is artificial grass, not real. We really don't like decking at all. Our preference was to have none and ring with artificial turf. We currently have real grass and never want to do that again!

Nice pool and back yard! Looks like you've done a great job to maximize use of space. What equipment models are you using and how are you chlorinating? My only other question is how comfortable are you with the contract? Specifically:
  • Is payment based on easily measured milestones for progress and quality? Or just the builder notifies you he's ready for the next draw?
  • Is there a release of liens provision before final payment?
  • Is there a defined performance test prior to each payment and prior to the last payment?
  • Is the scope of work very clear? For example: what does final cleanup consist of? Who disposes of debris? Who does permits? What substitutions are allowable?
  • Is there a schedule with milestones? Has builder verified availability of materials and labor?
  • Is warranty very clear?
  • What are your obligations other than making payment?
  • Have you gotten a certificate of "named insured" from your builder's liability coverage provider.
The reason I ask this is that most pool builders have their contract written by their own attorney who's job is to protect the builder. Almost all are written "one-way" but can easily be modified to be fair to both parties. Many (or even most) pool owners don't check their contract so they sign contracts that are patently not fair. This doesn't matter if everything goes fine. But there are many, many threads on here that describe what happens with a poor contract and construction problems. I am not trying to imply pool builders are not good constructors. It's just that when it comes to contracts nobody that works for the builder is looking after you. You have to do that yourself. Pools are fairly complicated construction and things do go wrong. When that happens the most important thing governing your recourse is the contract.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
Very helpful. We will be SWG and use pentair products.

We are GCing this ourselves so will set the terms with each sub.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very helpful. We will be SWG and use pentair products.

We are GCing this ourselves so will set the terms with each sub.
Good for you! I'm doing the same thing for my pool once we get the house shell completed. We have our preliminary design for the pool completed and are waiting for full house pricing before we commit the detailed pool design... will be watching for your updates! Are you using gunite or shotcrete?
Chris

You have gotten a lot of good advice. So I will focus on the outdoor kitchen.

You only have a grill. I would consider adding an additional side burner. We use ours A LOT. Anything smelly now gets cooked outside.
The island is a two story. More of a personal preference but you get more counter space with one total flat surface.
Consider adding a warming drawer. It is awesome when cooking outside, and doubles as a towel warmer.

Make sure you get details for your equipment down to manufacturer and model numbers for each. You might want to post it here as there are many knowledgeable to help with a sanity check on the list.

I think it is a good looking design and good use of space.

Are you doing it all at once, or in phases?

We're in about the same stage as you and are doing OB as well.

Good for you! I'm doing the same thing for my pool once we get the house shell completed. We have our preliminary design for the pool completed and are waiting for full house pricing before we commit the detailed pool design... will be watching for your updates! Are you using gunite or shotcrete?
Chris
Not sure yet which way. Lean shotcrete but need to do some research.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I think it is a good looking design and good use of space.

Are you doing it all at once, or in phases?

We're in about the same stage as you and are doing OB as well.
Phases, likely due to cost.

Pool priority 1. Then the turf, stone and rock and base fire pit area (sans bench). Then the patio area which will be the future kitchen, then the raised beds and garden/flowers, then the bench for the fire pit, then the kitchen.

Seems like I have a lot of road ahead of me lol. All the gas and electric and such will be stubbed out as pool is done.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. So I will focus on the outdoor kitchen.

You only have a grill. I would consider adding an additional side burner. We use ours A LOT. Anything smelly now gets cooked outside.
The island is a two story. More of a personal preference but you get more counter space with one total flat surface.
Consider adding a warming drawer. It is awesome when cooking outside, and doubles as a towel warmer.
I have a smoker as well that I will likely put by the grill. We sous vide a ton, so grill these days is a finishing tool.

I'm more looking for that island to be an entertaining area than a true workspace. I'd agree otherwise but I want to bartend/bs behind the bar than cut and prep ;)

Totally want to add a warming drawer! That's such a good suggestion!

Make sure you get details for your equipment down to manufacturer and model numbers for each. You might want to post it here as there are many knowledgeable to help with a sanity check on the list.
Oh definitely. Already picked my swg and pump based on this forum. Incredible ideas here.

Love what you have done! I do have a couple of comments.

-turf=HOT like no walking on it barefoot HOT! Buy a small piece and lay it out in the sun for a while to see what I mean.

-Depths-what are you thinking? Make sure you are talking WATER depth. That will be from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening.

-shelf depth? again water depth. Where do you want the water to hit you if you are sitting on the shelf? on a chair? You might want a small step on the shelf depending the the shelf depth

-steps by the basket ball hoop- I would remove them all together. There are going to be some stubbed toes there if you leave them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.