1st revision. I am ready to approve? Any last minute thoughts?

Here are a couple of pictures of what we did to help give you some ideas. We also made the firepit square (because we like sharp edges) so we use it as a table as well. We eat at it or just have drinks. Also extra warming drawing in the firepit so when we come out of the spa we get warm towels.

Since you mention you sous vide a lot I am going to say even more on the side burner. I used to finish stuff on the grill but now a cast iron pan on the side burner does a better job. I can melt steel with that side burner.

Attachments

• C5A179E2-42A8-4ACF-991A-1212EDD7567C.jpeg
    C5A179E2-42A8-4ACF-991A-1212EDD7567C.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FCBF6FAB-3DFA-496D-8ED4-C626C55E1FE5.jpeg
    FCBF6FAB-3DFA-496D-8ED4-C626C55E1FE5.jpeg
    567.7 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: ddoggphx
Love what you have done! I do have a couple of comments.

-turf=HOT like no walking on it barefoot HOT! Buy a small piece and lay it out in the sun for a while to see what I mean.

-Depths-what are you thinking? Make sure you are talking WATER depth. That will be from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening.

-shelf depth? again water depth. Where do you want the water to hit you if you are sitting on the shelf? on a chair? You might want a small step on the shelf depending the the shelf depth

-steps by the basket ball hoop- I would remove them all together. There are going to be some stubbed toes there if you leave them.
Great feedback. Heat of turf is a concern, we have found a few options that lower temps. We also plan to add a pergola over the kitchen area, and based on the sun in our yard it should cast a good shadow on a lot of the turf. But yeah, it's top of mind.

We did ensure our plans will have the depth from water line, and will need to make sure it is built that way. 3.5' to 5' play pool depth.

Interesting point on the shelves. Will have to look into it.

You hit on the one thing that has concerned me on the steps and the hoop. I'm torn on liking the steps but also liking my toes.

Here are a couple of pictures of what we did to help give you some ideas. We also made the firepit square (because we like sharp edges) so we use it as a table as well. We eat at it or just have drinks. Also extra warming drawing in the firepit so when we come out of the spa we get warm towels.

Since you mention you sous vide a lot I am going to say even more on the side burner. I used to finish stuff on the grill but now a cast iron pan on the side burner does a better job. I can melt steel with that side burner.
Thanks, I like that. What kind/model of grill and burner do you have? Nice egg as well...I want one.

I always try mention shade in these threads. Carefully evaluate where the sun will be when you're most often in the pool. Will the umbrella actually offer you shade at that time? For our pool we've had to add an extra, movable umbrella holder to provide much needed shade in the afternoon. From ~1:30 on the umbrella in the sunshelf holder casts most of it's shade off the edge of the pool.

I always try mention shade in these threads. Carefully evaluate where the sun will be when you're most often in the pool. Will the umbrella actually offer you shade at that time? For our pool we've had to add an extra, movable umbrella holder to provide much needed shade in the afternoon. From ~1:30 on the umbrella in the sunshelf holder casts most of it's shade off the edge of the pool.
Yep that was a huge consideration for us! I had drawn out a rough of the pool to see how it would be shaded at different times of the day. It was one of our top priorities and determined where we'd have the pool in the yard overall, the side for the shelf and hoop, and plan to add a pergola on the kitchen to even further cast some shade.

Especially in AZ the sun is top of mind and the same goes for Vegas. Sometimes I question why we live in these places, then winter hits. ;)

Reactions: Nikilyn
Great feedback. Heat of turf is a concern, we have found a few options that lower temps. We also plan to add a pergola over the kitchen area, and based on the sun in our yard it should cast a good shadow on a lot of the turf. But yeah, it's top of mind.

We did ensure our plans will have the depth from water line, and will need to make sure it is built that way. 3.5' to 5' play pool depth.

Interesting point on the shelves. Will have to look into it.

You hit on the one thing that has concerned me on the steps and the hoop. I'm torn on liking the steps but also liking my toes.
Out here, there are some special turfs to look at that have different properties that can be cooler than other manufacturer's turf. There are also special infills that absorb water to allow for an evaporative cooling effect on the turf to keep it cool. Also, if your windows are near that turf and get direct sunlight, low-e windows have the ability to reflect the sunlight to singe the turf (with rumors of it actually burning a hole in the turf), so sunscreens would be recommended.

I love real grass lawns outside of AZ, but I do not like maintaining the bermuda hybrid out here that seems to invade anything near it, so we will be going with turf in our backyard. My brother-in-law had a sprinkler installed in his back yard for the turf so he could cool it off in the summer when his kids were younger, so there are definitely options to reduce heat.

Out here, there are some special turfs to look at that have different properties that can be cooler than other manufacturer's turf. There are also special infills that absorb water to allow for an evaporative cooling effect on the turf to keep it cool. Also, if your windows are near that turf and get direct sunlight, low-e windows have the ability to reflect the sunlight to singe the turf (with rumors of it actually burning a hole in the turf), so sunscreens would be recommended.

I love real grass lawns outside of AZ, but I do not like maintaining the bermuda hybrid out here that seems to invade anything near it, so we will be going with turf in our backyard. My brother-in-law had a sprinkler installed in his back yard for the turf so he could cool it off in the summer when his kids were younger, so there are definitely options to reduce heat.
I'd love to share turf research with you. We have natural grass now and you are right, no matter what you put in eventually it will be that Bermuda hybrid. Looking forward to turf but want the holy grail: cooler, pet friendly (odor), real appearance.

Reactions: thewolf56
We have 3 deck umbrella holders and one in the Baja step. I did a pretty good job of figuring out where they would work the best for summer but today they weren’t very helpful. LOL! We decided we need a moveable stand too. You can’t make the placement perfect for year round, just try to get them placed as close as you can.
We have real grass in the front yard and back. My husband does a really good job keeping it look good. Getting ready to overseed next week. But I wouldn’t have real grass that close to the pool.

I'd love to share turf research with you. We have natural grass now and you are right, no matter what you put in eventually it will be that Bermuda hybrid. Looking forward to turf but want the holy grail: cooler, pet friendly (odor), real appearance.
Sounds like a plan. We're still earlier in the process than I would like to be at this point (design approval), but have been doing research on turf for a while. It will be a while before we have to make a final decision.

Similar to the 3 qualities of construction (cheap, fast, good) in that you can only pick 2, it may be the same thing for your turf characteristics. There are a few brands that claim pet odor friendly and cool, but I have read you cannot use that special cooling infill with pets. I may go the home show in 2 weeks and look around again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.