1st Pool Build | Sugar Land - Skimmer Repairs Done - Hardscape Finished

Question.

While talking to my PB Project Manager he mentioned that they do the plaster one day, then the next day come out to do an acid wash then fill. Most of the threads I have read seem to suggest that they fill right after plaster or they don't do an acid wash or I didn't find anything.

Is this just an added step they are doing?

P.S. Thanks to @JMSMommy for allowing me to check out her pool we officially picked Blue Surf with Shimmering Sea added in. It was really nice in person and the wife loved it so it made my life easier.
Ours did an acid wash after the plaster and then filled. So glad the color has been finalized! It’s gonna be amazing!

Been a bit of a slow week, but they brought in a little bit of the rocks that will be going between the stepping pads. They had told him the channel drain was done which will go along the foundation but it wasn't so they only put a bit of it and will fill the first layer then do the top layer with gator mix to secure it.

I decided to not put grass on the side of the house with the equipment, storage pad, AC, and water softener becuase the grass never grew well there due to shade and bermuda grass combination so it always looked bad and muddy at times.

So I am getting credit for a pallet of grass and going to just do a few stepping pads after the main pads that lead to the equipment and fill in the rest of it with the same type of rock.

IMG_0863.JPG

Hi everyone. I have been lurking on here for a long time and reading and trying to absorb as much as I can. I have narrowed down my search to 3 builders that all proposed fairly similar designs in terms of shape and I wanted to share them with you here to see what you guys thought, what you would change or move around to make this a better build. The wife and I are more modern so wanted something geometric that fit our house.

EDIT: Changed up Thread to reflect an actual bid with equipment.

UPDATE - We got out first full bid from 1 of the 2 guys we are considering. Here is the build out and design.

UPDATE 2/9/21 - One of the last builders we had out has come up with a design we like the best. I have attached it below. We are meeting them tomorrow to discuss pricing etc and see what their bid is. I plan on sending the design to the other builders we met with and seeing what their bid would be for the same type of design. We did our own tweaks like adding contrasting colors on part of it.

UPDATE 2/11/21 - We had a face to face meeting with the PB and Designer where we got to work real time with him on changes and ideas. Towards the end the wife asked if she could see the pool symmetrical becuase she just loves simple lines. He quickly whipped up a draft and she fell in love with it more, so now we are on version number 3 of the design. I also have a list of items being used. I know I know, SWG. I'm gonna have to try and figure that out.

Some key things

1. The pool is now essentially 12' X 35 Feet (Interior Measurements)
  2. Tanning ledge is shortened since there is no spa behind it now to 6' wide and the spa remains 4.5' wide so that gives us essentially 24.5 feet of swimming area in the middle.
  3. Currently we have the depth going from 3.5 - 5.5. I'm wondering from the experts here to leave it like that, or go something like 3.5-5.5-3.5 so it's easier for both sides to hang out?
  4. The wife got what she ultimately wanted a simple rectangular pool, water feature aligned directly with the patio as well as the glass doors and windows in our house that open out and can show everything.
  5. Since we have to use 400 SQFT of Decking with spray deck he put in a little seating area up top as well near the spa. Not 100% on that one but I think it's a nice addition to just a little green area back there.
  6. Currently the 3 walls on the back are 18", 12", and 6" I am thinking about raising each of them 6" to give it a little more effect. So making the feature wall with sheer descents to 24"
Here is the equipment list currently in their bid.

Equipment - ALL PENTAIR

Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/Logic - $2,410 (Asked him about Intellicenter and he said that would be about $300 more than this, if anyone can chime in on normal pricing)
Valve Actuators to have water feature work separately - $230
Pentair Cartridge Filter (420) - Included
Cleaner Pump (3/4 HP) #LA-01N - Included
PENTAIR Racer Cleaner - Included
Intelliflo VSF #011056 - $652
Whisperflo 3/4 Booster for sheer descents - 1,105
3X 18" Sheer - $1105
2X Bubblers - $300
In-Line Chlorinator - Included
Auto Fill System - $322
Pentair Racer Cleaner - Included
MicroBrite Color LED Lights - 3 Total (2 in pool, & 1 in spa) - $1649
Pentair Heating System - Included in the Spa Pricing

UPDATE 2/27/21

CONTRACT SIGNED!

So after some back and forth about pricing and adjusting a few minor things we have finally signed the contract to build our pool. Thank you for everyone for all the help. Below is the latest design after a few minor changes. We still will be making some minor adjustments because we won't start our dig until later in April due to scheduling for GUNITE etc. Below is the pretty much final design of of the pool and some items that we are still ironing out. We dropped the side walls to 6" and the feature wall stayed 1" to give it a uniformed look while the Spa stays at 12" raised.

1. Still haven't decided if we want to keep that seating area and deck near the spa or just leave it clean and some extra grass area for the kids and move the decking allocation to the side of the house to use for storage and deck boxes
2. I spoke to to them about leaving either extra pipe for a later install of SWG and possibly having them plumb everything for a SWG pool and I will pay for the Intellicenter 8 with SWG kit and leave everything chlorine for now to not worry about their waiver for their warranty and then just installed the SWG set after the one year. This way I don't have to get the SWG and power supply later.
3. We don't know what we are going to do with the color of the plaster yet, he just put in a placeholder for the included level, or if we want to actually pay extra for a higher level of color which will be $800.

View attachment 177407View attachment 177408View attachment 177409
Nice design… who is your builder?

So finally had some decent work done which was the plumbing and pool equipment minus the control center which they are waiting on. I have attached some pictures and would really love some feedback if anything they see that looks weird etc.

I did get a SWG system but they won't install the salt cell until a year passes then I will call them out to install it to not void their warranty and deal with waivers. The plumber did say he plumbed it in a way that they just have to come in cut the pipe and install the cell. Can someone please confirm if that was done correctly?

The are still waiting on the intellicenter system to do that install which I figure is when they replace the regular hand valves with the actuators?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1256.jpgIMG_1257.jpgIMG_1258.jpgIMG_1259.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpgIMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg

It looks great. Things are nicely spaced out. It will be easy to drain your filter and clean it.
Ask them to show you the drain plugs on the heater and the pumps as well as that is good info if we should have another freeze as we did last February.

The big "U" coming out of the heater appears where they will insert the SWCG in the future.

Couple of things I did notice
They used unions on the water feature pump but not on the main filtration pump. Not sure why they didn't add unions to that pump.

There is no heater bypass. Not mandatory but nice to have. Probably can be added when then add the SWCG but will require more modifications to existing plumbing.

Do you plan to have an actuator on the return for your water features? Sometimes that is done or it can just remain a manual valve.

They should add an actuator on the suction side on the valve between the spa and the pool suctions. As well on the valve on the return side between the pool and spa.

Are those flow meters on the return side (after the heater) and another going to a water feature?

You can decide to keep the inline chlorinator as is or ask that to be removed when they put in the SWCG. If you keep it, do not fill it if you have the SWCG operating.

It looks great. Things are nicely spaced out. It will be easy to drain your filter and clean it.
Ask them to show you the drain plugs on the heater and the pumps as well as that is good info if we should have another freeze as we did last February.

The big "U" coming out of the heater appears where they will insert the SWCG in the future.

Couple of things I did notice
They used unions on the water feature pump but not on the main filtration pump. Not sure why they didn't add unions to that pump.

There is no heater bypass. Not mandatory but nice to have. Probably can be added when then add the SWCG but will require more modifications to existing plumbing.

Do you plan to have an actuator on the return for your water features? Sometimes that is done or it can just remain a manual valve.

They should add an actuator on the suction side on the valve between the spa and the pool suctions. As well on the valve on the return side between the pool and spa.

Are those flow meters on the return side (after the heater) and another going to a water feature?

You can decide to keep the inline chlorinator as is or ask that to be removed when they put in the SWCG. If you keep it, do not fill it if you have the SWCG operating.

With the heater bypass is this something that I should just try to get them to add right now?

So with the main pump it looks like the top part the pipe screws into the outlet rather than there being threads on the outer side for a union piece. Unless I am mistaken. Not sure if that's just how it's setup compared to the other where I can see the threads that a union would go. I attached a picture of the connection for reference.

If I am not mistaken the intellicenter that I am getting it comes with 2 actuators and they added another one on the contract for a total of 3 of them, which I guess will be the ones that control the water features spa and anything else. Is that what you are referring to? To turn on the pool and spa? I know our setup from what we were told is that our bubblers are on the same line as spa and pool so we can't have spa and bubbler running at same time. The waterfalls are on their own pump.

I have included a picture of the things I believe you are talking about. There are a total of 3 of them. Not sure what they are exactly.

Yes I figured I would just empty it out when I go to SWG in case of emergency or the cell fails.
IMG_1267.jpgIMG_1266.jpg

With the heater bypass is this something that I should just try to get them to add right now?
Read this for heater bypass. As stated, not mandatory but it is nice to have if you have the room to install it which it appears you do. You may want to show the following to your plumber if he can do it now.

So with the main pump it looks like the top part the pipe screws into the outlet rather than there being threads on the outer side for a union piece. Unless I am mistaken. Not sure if that's just how it's setup compared to the other where I can see the threads that a union would go. I attached a picture of the connection for reference.
It is clear that the PVC pipe is screwed into the pump connections. That black ring on the inlet and outlet of the water feature pump looks like a union. You may ask why they put a union on the water feature pump and not on the filtration pump. It just seems unusual to do one and not the other. Many pumps have threaded connections and you just put a threaded union into it. This way, in the future, if you need to remove the pump (for whatever reason) you do not need to cut PVC and then glue new connections.

If I am not mistaken the intellicenter that I am getting it comes with 2 actuators and they added another one on the contract for a total of 3 of them, which I guess will be the ones that control the water features spa and anything else. Is that what you are referring to? To turn on the pool and spa? I know our setup from what we were told is that our bubblers are on the same line as spa and pool so we can't have spa and bubbler running at same time. The waterfalls are on their own pump.
You are correct. You have to have 2 actuators to allow the automation system to select Pool Mode or Spa Mode. Those will be placed on the valves that are on suction of the main filtration pump and on the return (prior to the inline chlorinator). The third will most likely go on the waterfall return (but best to ask your PB or plumber).
It is not visible where your bubbler is connected to as your return only shows 2 pipes and those are the spa and pool returns because they are separated by a 3 way valve (which will have an actuator on it later). As you state, it is most likely connected to your return side and will only be functional when you are in Pool Mode.
Also, will you have a spillover from your spa to your pool? The pipe that goes to your spa (for that purpose when in Pool Mode) is not visible either. You need to ask the PB or Plumber.

It appears you have 2 separate water features that are fed by the separate water feature pump. You have a 3 way valve between the 2 lines to the water features. That 3 way valve may get the other actuator noted above. So you will be either to select which water feature is on or if both are on and how much flow to each.

have included a picture of the things I believe you are talking about. There are a total of 3 of them. Not sure what they are exactly.
It appears to be a check valve. the one on the line from the heater would be to prevent flowback of chlorine water into the heater. The other 2 are on the return of the spa and the return of 1 of the water features. I assume they are all check valves. Maybe your PB can explain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read this for heater bypass. As stated, not mandatory but it is nice to have if you have the room to install it which it appears you do. You may want to show the following to your plumber if he can do it now.

It is clear that the PVC pipe is screwed into the pump connections. That black ring on the inlet and outlet of the water feature pump looks like a union. You may ask why they put a union on the water feature pump and not on the filtration pump. It just seems unusual to do one and not the other. Many pumps have threaded connections and you just put a threaded union into it. This way, in the future, if you need to remove the pump (for whatever reason) you do not need to cut PVC and then glue new connections.

You are correct. You have to have 2 actuators to allow the automation system to select Pool Mode or Spa Mode. Those will be placed on the valves that are on suction of the main filtration pump and on the return (prior to the inline chlorinator). The third will most likely go on the waterfall return (but best to ask your PB or plumber).
It is not visible where your bubbler is connected to as your return only shows 2 pipes and those are the spa and pool returns because they are separated by a 3 way valve (which will have an actuator on it later). As you state, it is most likely connected to your return side and will only be functional when you are in Pool Mode.
Also, will you have a spillover from your spa to your pool? The pipe that goes to your spa (for that purpose when in Pool Mode) is not visible either. You need to ask the PB or Plumber.

It appears you have 2 separate water features that are fed by the separate water feature pump. You have a 3 way valve between the 2 lines to the water features. That 3 way valve may get the other actuator noted above. So you will be either to select which water feature is on or if both are on and how much flow to each.

It appears to be a check valve. the one on the line from the heater would be to prevent flowback of chlorine water into the heater. The other 2 are on the return of the spa and the return of 1 of the water features. I assume they are all check valves. Maybe your PB can explain.
So I pulled up the plumbing schematics from the files they sent me. This is how they have it setup. I am not sure if it's setup to be a spill over on the spa when we are in pool mode or not. I will double check with the designer but I believe we did discuss that and he said it was when it was in pool mode.

One other thing maybe that's why the pipe count might be off? Both skimmers are piped into one pipe so maybe that accounts for another pipe which is the other stuff you were mentioning instead of one pipe back for each skimmer?

I confirmed with my PB that there is a spillover from the spa to pool in pool mode. And the Bubblers can be turned off and on while in pool mode but not in spa of course since they are on the main pump and not on dedicated one. Hope that helps with anything.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.54.45 PM.png

The gas line sediment trap does not have cap on it.
Thank you for that. I will definitely let the PB know.

Last edited:
So I pulled up the plumbing schematics from the files they sent me. This is how they have it setup. I am not sure if it's setup to be a spill over on the spa when we are in pool mode or not. I will double check with the designer but I believe we did discuss that and he said it was when it was in pool mode.
View attachment 359051

Thank you for that. I will definitely let the PB know.
Based on your picture - it does not appear to show 2 separate lines for your bubbler and pool return with a valve actuator (VA) between them to control if you want the bubbler on or off. Your picture does show the Spa Jet Return with a check valve (CV). Maybe take a front view of your return pipes and repost to have a better look.

With regard to the water feature pump, the diagram shows only 1 return with a CV but the picture shows 2 lines as a return to your sheers with only 1 having a CV. Also this has a valve between them that appears to be set up to have an actuator (VA).

So I am just wondering, do you have 2 water features (sheers)? If not, could they have set up that the water feature pump controls the sheers and the bubbler. Therefore you can run either regardless if you are in Spa or Pool Mode. That is not what the plumbing diagram indicates but that could be reality. Need to have your PB verify.

Also, there is one other item you need to ask about. There is a "U" pipe directly next to the cement pad in front of the suction line. Do you know what that is? It comes from the ground and returns to the ground but there is no valve or other connection visible.

Based on your picture - it does not appear to show 2 separate lines for your bubbler and pool return with a valve actuator (VA) between them to control if you want the bubbler on or off. Your picture does show the Spa Jet Return with a check valve (CV). Maybe take a front view of your return pipes and repost to have a better look.

With regard to the water feature pump, the diagram shows only 1 return with a CV but the picture shows 2 lines as a return to your sheers with only 1 having a CV. Also this has a valve between them that appears to be set up to have an actuator (VA).

So I am just wondering, do you have 2 water features (sheers)? If not, could they have set up that the water feature pump controls the sheers and the bubbler. Therefore you can run either regardless if you are in Spa or Pool Mode. That is not what the plumbing diagram indicates but that could be reality. Need to have your PB verify.

Also, there is one other item you need to ask about. There is a "U" pipe directly next to the cement pad in front of the suction line. Do you know what that is? It comes from the ground and returns to the ground but there is no valve or other connection visible.

Thanks for all your help. I will definitley have them explain and label everything. I was curious of that U as well. I remember it there when they didn't put dirt back but forgot to take a picture. I haven't had a chance to actually sit down and talk to them to explain it all but I have a sheet to write my questions and notes to follow up with all of the forum's help.

Here are more pictures of the setup. I confirmed with PB and designer that in pool mode it will spill over, and the bubblers can be turned off and on when in pool mode and won't work in spa mode.

IMG_1268.jpgIMG_1269.jpgIMG_1270.jpgIMG_1271.jpgIMG_1272.jpgIMG_1273.jpgIMG_1274.jpgIMG_1275.jpg

I did find this picture from earlier where that U pipe was two pipes he cut and joined so definitely curious now lol

3F9B5B71-CB68-4F7A-AC3C-F9B20119CD8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok. Just print out the plumbing diagram and ask the PB to show you how that matches to the actual plumbing. I am puzzled on that aspect for both the water feature pump and the main filtration pump flow circuit.

Just to be clear for the question - your return flow circuit only shows 2 pipes - the one to the left of the inline chlorinator is the pool return and the pipe to the right of the valve is the spa. That spa return line also has a CV. So he needs to explain how you control the bubbler and the spa spillover.

Also, now that I see the suction lines more clear - they do not match to the plumbing diagram for the main filtration pump. The plumbing diagram shows 3 suction lines (2 skimmers and 1 spa) but your picture shows 4 suction lines. The large 2" line to the right is the spa main drain suction. The other 3 to the left would be (in my estimation) 2 skimmers and a pool main drain. Do you have a pool main drain? The valve between them would allow you to balance the flow between the skimmers and the pool main drain. However, you should have a Jandy 2-way valve on each skimmer or a 3-way between them (which the plumbing diagram shows) to allow you to balance the suction between the 2 skimmers. That was the purpose of having the 2 skimmer lines run separately back to the pad. But if there is no valve on either of them, you cannot balance the suction so you do not get the benefit of having the 2 independent skimmer lines.

Maybe there is more plumbing to do and just not completed yet. Sorry to point all of this out but it just doesn't jive to what the PB is saying, what is in the plumbing diagram and what is reality (in your pictures).

Also, those wires laying on the cement next to the pump and filter - that is your control wires that go from your pump to the IntelliCenter. Suggest you pick those up and put in good place so they do not get lost.

@HermanTX Thank you for all that information and taking the time to look at these for me. I am sure they will label things but when we are ready for a walk through or at least when I see him this week I'll have him go through and explain all the pipes and everything to me. I have written down all the things you asked so I can get a clear understanding from the project manager, if he doesn't know then I am sure when plumbing comes out for other stuff I will be asking them.

In regards to the main drain, I do have a main drain, spa drain and 2 skimmers. From the pictures I have, the deep end skimmer is piped to the main drain. Then the other skimmer looks like it then met up with that pipe somewhere down the line.

All of the valves I saw on the unit were Pentair with the exception of the valve that's on the pipes going to the feature pump. That one was a Jandy.

I did go ahead and grab the wires you mentioned to just not worry.

Reactions: HermanTX
If more plumbing is going to be redone and you're eventually installing an IntelliChlor SWG, you might consider having a SWG spacer cell installed (with unions) now:

When it comes time to install the actual SWG cell, the plumbing part would be a two minute job you can do yourself.

So a little update. Was waiting for lights and electrical since the units were hard to come by. Friday they must have come in because I heard them working and sure enough the lights came in and all the Intellicenter equipment as well as the Salt Cell that will be installed later.

Looking at the setup, I had a question, the Salt Cell should have it's own power supply correct? I see the main intellicenter box and then a PS300 Power Supply unit to the right as you can see in the pictures which looks to be for the lights if I am not mistaken. This would not power the Salt Cell correct?

Based on the manual and what I see it should have it's own separate power supply unit, but don't see one on the wall nor an box with one.
Also want to make sure this is the i8 model. Can’t see anywhere on it saying that. Want to make sure I got what I paid for.

Adding on the previous pictures I put with the plumbing they have added the 3 Actuators as you can see. When I spoke to the project manager he wasn't sure exactly if they had plumbed it differently but said the plumber will be out to mark everything. He suspects that the plumber put the sheer descent and bubblers both on the feature pump and that's why it splits. The loop pipe that is there he said is the cleaner that I removed during construction to go with a robot and should be able to use if I ever wanted to. So they just closed the loop apparently.

So If I am looking at the pipes correctly the far side is the SPA vs Pool and the ar Right one on the feature pump is the Descent and Bubblers. Not sure at that point what the third actuator is if someone can chime in.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

IMG_1435.jpgIMG_1436.jpgIMG_1437.jpgIMG_1438.jpgIMG_1439.jpgIMG_1440.jpgIMG_1441.jpgIMG_1443.jpg

The pics show a tablet chlorinator installed, not a SWG.

If you got an IntelliCenter with a bundled IntelliChlor cell the IntelliCenter would have the SWG power supply in the cabinet. Yours does not have a SWG power supply. You can get a separate SWG Power Center box for the SWG cell but you don’t have one now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.