1rst Time Pool Readings - Advice Please

Just for evaporation make up. I use a 16000 grain unit. My water is close to 16gpg so after about 800 gallons through it, I regenerate. That is every 3-4 weeks in the summer. Every other month or so from November through March.
Don't know how that set up would work for me. We are snowbirds, so after April or beginning of May we are back in Michigan till December, so would not be here during the time of evaporation maximums. Last year one of my water bills for a month showed that I use 2900 gallons, and all water to the house is shut off , except for pool water. Checked for leaks and there are none, so evaporation did a number several months last year. So hopefully there will be more talk on the forum about this subject.

Yeah, you're kinda stuck unless you can plumb the home softener to the autofill. Your CYA level is high as well, so I assume trichlor tablets are used for sanitization. Your CYA may be higher...did you do a diluted test for CYA? If not, follow these steps from the extended test kit directions:
  • If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
    1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
    2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
    3. Shake briefly to mix.
    4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
    5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.
You should be able to manage CH at levels up to 800 or so, assuming you can keep CSI in range. Factors that effect CSI are pH, TA, salt, CYA, CH and water temp. Being away will make it impossible to make necessary adjustments unless you have someone around to follow TFP recommendations.

Worst case scenario, plan on a water exchange every year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Yeah, you're kinda stuck unless you can plumb the home softener to the autofill. Your CYA level is high as well, so I assume trichlor tablets are used for sanitation. Your CYA may be higher...did you do a diluted test for CYA? If not, follow these steps from the extended test kit directions:
  • If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
    3. Shake briefly to mix.
    4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
    5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.
You should be able to manage CH at levels up to 800 or so, assuming you can keep CSI in range. Factors that effect CSI are pH, TA, salt, CYA, CH and water temp. Being away will make it impossible to make necessary adjustments unless you have someone around to follow TFP recommendations.

I have agreement with the pool guy that I let go, to manage it while I am gone, and me manage it while I am here. And no I haven't checked the CYA any other way. I will check that tomorrow, and yes the 3" tabs are used for sanitation.
I don't remember if I posted my readings which are: FC=8, TA=150, CYA=100, PH=7.5

Yeah, you're kinda stuck unless you can plumb the home softener to the autofill. Your CYA level is high as well, so I assume trichlor tablets are used for sanitation. Your CYA may be higher...did you do a diluted test for CYA? If not, follow these steps from the extended test kit directions:
    3. Shake briefly to mix.

Have not checked again, but was wondering when it says to fill with "Tap water", are they referring to the fill water, because house tap water is softened, and how do I get a reading on that, when I will be doing it several times. Sorry for the dumb questions. Just wondering because like I said before we are snow birds, and when the pool guy comes, I get video of them checking pool, and all I ever see them do is, one turns the pump on, the other one brushes the pool, then goes over it with the rake (mesh bag on pole), then they check and empty the skimmer basket. In the summer I see them add chlorine tabs or liquid into the pool, but never see them actually do these type of tests.

Have not checked again, but was wondering when it says to fill with "Tap water", are they referring to the fill water, because house tap water is softened,

For the CYA test it does not matter which "tap water" you use for the dilution test. You can use your house tap water or your pool fill water.

and how do I get a reading on that, when I will be doing it several times.

What will you be doing for several times?

when it says to fill with "Tap water", are they referring to the fill water, because house tap water is softened,
It doesn't matter. Tap water, softened or not, does not contain CYA.

Run the test as you normally would, but double the results. The results really won't matter much since we know you'll need a full water exchange to bring down CH. After the water exchange, your CH will be at 375 and CYA will be near 0.0.

The chlorine in trichlor tablets is bound by CYA. Just lake calcium, CYA doesn't leave the pool through evaporation, so each tablet will increase CYA level.

Your pool guy uses tablets since because he only visits the pool weekly. Trichlor tablets release chlorine slowly which helps to maintain FC levels over several days. If he was using chlorine, he would need to visit almost daily the summer months.

They probably don’t. Perhaps you can ask them to do these when they come and send the readings to you? No pool guy I know would do that, but you can ask.
Just don't know how they can know condition of pool without testing like this.
For the CYA test it does not matter which "tap water" you use for the dilution test. You can use your house tap water or your pool fill water.

What will you be doing for several times?
I misread, you just do it twice, with fill water the second time.

Last edited:
    3. Shake briefly to mix.

Finally checked for the "Diluted CYA Test", if I did it right.
1. Did normal CYA test, was still reading over 100, poured out and rinsed
2. Filled mix bottle to bottom of label with pool water, added tap water from fill valve to top of label, and shook.
3. Poured out mixture to bottom of label
4. Poured contents of remaining mix bottle into CYA view tube, and water level in tube came up to about the 38 mark. Don't know what this shows. Pool could have black water, and still would be at the 38 mark. Don't really understand the purpose. Could still see dot, somewhat hazy, but clear. Was I supposed to add more reagent after pouring out half mixture combined poolwater/tap water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you missed the part of a diluted test. after duping the tap water mix to bottom of label you need to add the regent to the top of label and then do the test.
Okay, that's what I was thinking. Will do it again tomorrow. Is there a reason to do the diluted test, and exactly what is that going to tell me, since it is a little high anyway. Sorry, new to this.

Is there a reason to do the diluted test, and exactly what is that going to tell me, since it is a little high anyway. Sorry, new to this.
If you're gonna do a full drain and refill soon, it won't matter much. If you want to keep the pool sanitized and safe until then, you need to know your true CYA to to maintain the proper CYA to FC ratio. FC/CYA Levels

I bought the TF-100 kit and just did my first pool reading, and have some questions.
1. I did not get a CH result. I went by the directions for 10ml mark, add 10 drops R-0010, then 3 drops R-0011L. Showed a very very slight pink color. Then went drop by drop of R-0012, up to 40 drops and quit because color was not changing to blue, actually going more to a clear pink color. This is why I don't have a CH result.
2. Couple of other readings are high. How do I share those readings from my PoolMath?
3. What is CSI?
I am near you (in Gilbert) and I had the same problem the first time I tested CH, it never changed to blue. I am new at this and I thought mixing and adding drops at the same time was very hard. I bought a Speed Stir and did it again and the water changed to blue. Just an idea... that may be the problem you are having.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.