1963 pool resurection

60k :shock: You could put in a new pool for that amount! Dang....

The guy seemed ok when he came out. Knowledgeable for sure but didn't listen to a thing I said apparently. The quote includes things I straight up told him I didn't want or care about like planters and stucco. Even though I repeatedly told him I didn't want an " updated" pool and showed him what tiles and coping I liked he still quoted me with his.
Oh, and by the way, this quote didn't include important things either like permits, lights or any info on what would be in the spa. I showed him my panel upgrade to the house with a 200amp service and all he said was too bad you didn't put a sub panel in the garage while you were doing it. I did. I laughed and showed him the 100 amp sub panel I installed in my garage. His quote included a 110amp sub panel installation. Whatever. Good luck getting jobs buddy.

The guy seemed ok when he came out. Knowledgeable for sure but didn't listen to a thing I said apparently. The quote includes things I straight up told him I didn't want or care about like planters and stucco. Even though I repeatedly told him I didn't want an " updated" pool and showed him what tiles and coping I liked he still quoted me with his.
Oh, and by the way, this quote didn't include important things either like permits, lights or any info on what would be in the spa. I showed him my panel upgrade to the house with a 200amp service and all he said was too bad you didn't put a sub panel in the garage while you were doing it. I did. I laughed and showed him the 100 amp sub panel I installed in my garage. His quote included a 110amp sub panel installation. Whatever. Good luck getting jobs buddy.

im my experience, when someone quotes you insanely high like that, its because they dont want the job, but dont want to tell you that they dont want the job. You are not doing a run of the mill pool installation, you are doing a custom pool restoration, which will be different from what some builders are used to doing. They may be apprehensive or just dont want to fool with it. Keep your head up and keep looking. You will find someone.

I had similar issues a few years back on our old house. I was building a 500 sq ft home addition on our 1980s house. The first builder a friend of mine recommended me to quoted me $68K!!!!! :eek:

I found out later, he only builds $500K+ homes and really didnt want to mess with my "small" job because he wouldnt make much off of it. He just came out because the friend asked him to. I ran into a couple more builders who didnt want to mess with it. After a couple weeks of searching, I found a good one, and got it done for $35k.

I was also told to stay away from glass tiles.

Why?

Tiling (not just pool tiling, but walls, floors, showers, etc) is something I am interested in. Who knows why, things like that just appeal to me.

Anyway, check out any of the work done by Rock Solid Tile. He specializes in glass tile, glass mosaic pools. His work is, in a word, amazing.

Also, if you wanted to do something cool with tile, check out "A pile of tile" - the guy makes custom tile mosaics - not cheap, but awesome.

Just some of the tile people whos projects I admire - not an endorsement in any way.

-dave

A lot of people are afraid of glass tile because it's easy to screw up, not because there's anything wrong with it. It breaks much more easily than ceramic, and thinset/grout needs to be done very carefully and evenly because you'll be able to see it through the sides of the tiles.

We'll it was pool guy #1 himself who told me to stay away from glass tile. He also just wanted me to do whatever he wanted to do. He was the one who liked sta rite products and told me the gazing was shot on my current tiles and needed replacement.
Gtnos, around here a 500 sq. ft addition would not be considered small at all. 100 a square ft would be a real good price too. $35k would be a great deal.
Anyway, I'm a lot more comfortable with guy #2 so far. More on that after I hear from him again. Likely this weekend.

We'll it was pool guy #1 himself who told me to stay away from glass tile. He also just wanted me to do whatever he wanted to do. He was the one who liked sta rite products and told me the gazing was shot on my current tiles and needed replacement.
Gtnos, around here a 500 sq. ft addition would not be considered small at all. 100 a square ft would be a real good price too. $35k would be a great deal.
Anyway, I'm a lot more comfortable with guy #2 so far. More on that after I hear from him again. Likely this weekend.

yeah, but that guy was used to building 4-6000 sq ft million dollar homes. I have saw a few... they are nice. so my 500 sq ft addition wasnt worth his time. 35k was a fair rate for Oklahoma. But understand, here, the average house is 100-150k. upper mid class is 200-250k. Anything over 300k and you are upper class. Anything over 400k and its a mansion.

I know your CA prices are vastly different. I have an uncle who moved back to OK from Palm Springs. He was amazed at how much more house he could buy here for the same $$$.

I hare ya gtnos, the difference is amazing. We thought this 1200 sq ft. House were in now was a good price at under$400k,the house we were living in 3 years ago in San Francisco was 750sq.ft on a 1250sq. Ft lot! And that was $500k if you can believe that. So a 500 ft. Addition can seem like a mansion depending on where you live. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool guy #4 came today. Real cool, liked him a lot too. Pricing more realistic at around $24k before equipment which he says he has no problem with me supplying or if he can get it cheaper he will at his cost. Nice. Also has no problem with me doing some of the work to shave down expenses. I like that too.
Permits are included in price and sees no problem at all getting them.
Things are looking up. :cool:

A lot of people are afraid of glass tile because it's easy to screw up, not because there's anything wrong with it. It breaks much more easily than ceramic, and thinset/grout needs to be done very carefully and evenly because you'll be able to see it through the sides of the tiles.

That makes sense. I thought it was something about the glass tile itself, not the difficulty of installation.

Google "Rock Solid Tile" (he is based in CA) and look at some of the pool installations he has done (he has a gallery on his website). If I was rich (very rich) I would have a pool like those.

-dave

Thanks all once again for following along on the ride.
Quick question though, everyone says if you buy 3 pieces of equipment from pentair you can extend the warranty to 3 years. Would a Vsp pump, easy touch w/swg, Including wireless pack, a 420 or so cartridge filter and 5g color lights count? Basically I want to use all pentair except for a raypak 400k heater.
Thanks

Any word from the city yet. We started our remodel this week. We were just going to replace a couple broken pieces of coping instead of replacing it all but that has changed. Our PB was having a tough time finding matching coping so instead of having it look patched together we just decided to replace it all. It sounds like you might have the same problem. I did manage to save a good piece of tile and the original light junction box cover with the blue haven logo. I guess I need to post a couple pics on my progress huh?

Thanks all once again for following along on the ride.
Quick question though, everyone says if you buy 3 pieces of equipment from pentair you can extend the warranty to 3 years. Would a Vsp pump, easy touch w/swg, Including wireless pack, a 420 or so cartridge filter and 5g color lights count? Basically I want to use all pentair except for a raypak 400k heater.
Thanks

Yes, you would apply for the 3 year extended warranty with those parts. Below is the .pdf link for Pentair's warranty card that you will submit when you have the equipment installed. The language for the extended warranty for "bundled" equipment is found underneath section "C".

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/LimitedWarrantyCard.pdf

Thanks bulldogz. I was pretty sure that would work.
Mike even though I haven't signed any builders yet I have one guy who has been down to speak with them once and is going back with blueprint drawings for approval this week. He is most likely going to get the job. Haven't seen his numbers yet but he is highly recommended and cool so far. It is also my understanding that you will not be able up reuse that jbox. Is it brass? Mine is and will be replaced. The light niche will likely also have to be replaced as most new lights have a different type. Good luck with your project. I'm pretty sure we will just go ahead and replace existing tile and coping as well with something similar that will hopefully last another 50 years.

good news folks!
guy #2 went back to the building department today and got the ok to move forward with the project. we just have to go over the numbers and hope that they are within reach. starting to get excited again about this pool.
he said they are ok with pool equipment anywhere around the pool or in the garage. question, how many problems are we looking at if we were to put the equipment in a remote location? is this going to cause unnecessary stress on the pump and heater? what would be the maximum recommended distance from equipment pad to pool/spa? deck space and garage space are limited but doable.
time for some serious planning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.