1963 pool resurection

I think he thought I was crazy asking for 3" for the spa.
Then ask him the SPA will be VGBA compliant. With 8 jets, you will want at least 15 GPM per jet which is 120 GPM. VGBA requires suction flow rates to be below 6 ft/sec which requires 3" pipe. You could also go with 2 loops (4 jets each) of 2.5" pipe as well and still be compliant but then you would need to double the drains.

But the main reason for the larger pipe is to keep head loss at a minimum so all the head loss is in the jets where you want it.

So if he wanted to use 2 1/2" pipe he would have to run 2 all the way from the pump and then 2 more 2 1/2" pipes from the drain. Is that correct? Basically 2 smaller parallel runs to equal the capacity of the 3".
If this is correct, it seems to me that a single 3" ( in each direction) would be easier.
But basically what goes in must come out in equal sized pipe correct?
Thanks mark.

2 x 2 1/2 is slightly more than 3" (~3.3"). But yes, 2 suction and 2 returns and I agree a single 3" each direction would seem to be an easier install.

Thanks Kim. White grout.
Any ideas on how to finish the back side of the spa? It will be raised 18" with spillway. Maybe 24" spillway. Anyone care to comment on spillway size? Anything you might wish you had done or like that you have. We talked about tile "steps" coming down but decided against it as we could picture the kids constantly walking up and down it and getting hurt.
I notice people don't usually tile all the way around the backside. Is there a reason? We are not using any stone at all.
Any good ideas or pictures?
The backside will face a corner where two block walls meet.
Just waiting for guy #2 to get back to me with all the particulars of what the job will entail before we sign on. I figure its best to sort all that out up front to avoid any issues down the road.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on signing the contract. I like my spillway, it's around 24" and I would not go any smaller than that. If you want to come on by again let me know and you can check out more of the details that you are coming up with.

If you have a cement deck with a salt finish, you might want to have another look at my coping to match the deck finish.

Thanks guys. Haven't signed any actual contracts at this point. Strictly verbal with the understanding that one will be signed when it reflects clearly all aspects of the finished job.
Paul, thanks for the offer I will likely take you up on that. We will be doing the salt finish on the cement rather than broom. It should match our coping choice but would like to have another peek at yours if possible (without kids this time) to get a better idea.
Thanks
Oh, and we agreed on the list of equipment I gave him and pipe runs and sizes although he still seems puzzled as to why I would want 3" for the spa. Everything seems good. We will stub out for solar and a water mister for pergola and any other thing I may want in future. A drain for outdoor shower and a 3d cad drawing of the backyard where we can try and utilize every square inch for something useful.
Still need approval from the building dept. for equipment to be on the side of the house. I don't see a problem with it and will continue to pursue it if denied.
Cheers!

Pool crews tend to do what they always do rather than what the spec sheet or plans say. As with "Pirate Rules" Pool Plans are more general guidelines.

That said, if your PB does not use 3 inch PVC in the spa his plumber won't either. So you need to be there before they start plumbing and have a casual discussion with the plumbing crew about the 3 inch PVC in the spa and anything else that you think is important. Its good to do this with all subs. Then you need to come back a couple times during the day to see if they are doing what you expected. Its ok to say "stop" that's not what I expected and call the PB.

+1 on that. It's your pool, your money and always feel free to question someone.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus if you don't question them and do a little inspecting you don't know what's under there. Might even be helpful at some point way down the road to have photos of the install in progress should you or the next owner have a plumbing problem :idea:

I hear you. I already talked to the plumber about it. He was against it. Not sure why. I showed him some charts from hydraulics 101. He didn't know what head loss was. The pool builder is a great guy and will do whatever I want but has never used 3" pipe before. I gave him a print out off this site of hydraulics 101 and he said he would read it and that maybe he could learn something new from it. I saw a pool that they were working on and it was really nice. He also comes highly recommended. I'm not too worried about it. He has already gone above and beyond and we haven't even signed a contract yet.
Thanks for the advice.

Well I started some work out back. Painting block walls removing trees and brick planters. Photos soon.
Also finally hired guy #2 to handle the resurrection. Says maybe 2-3 weeks to get all the permits handled including drawings and equipment location then 4-6 weeks for completion. Sounds a bit ambitious to me. I told him there is really no reason to rush. Take your time and do it right. Don't want to forget anything.
Lets see how it goes....
Test kit is on its way.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.