Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening... do I need to change any of my numbers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening... do I need to change any of my numbers?

We do not cover our pool during the winter, but because of the extremely cold weather we had, we did drain all of our equipment instead of running the pump. Now our weather has been very mild and the pool water was starting to look dull, so we have started the pump running again, but not the SWG. Here are my numbers, so please let me know if I should add anything.

Water Temp: 54
    FC 2.5
    CC .5
    TC 3
    PH 7.8
    TA 40
    CYA 50

Thank you, and I am looking forward to another great season of beautiful water!
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening... do I need to change any of my numbers?

Your TA is a little low, and if the water is above 50 degrees I would bump up the FC level up to 4. CYA is too low for use with a SWG, but that isn't important just at the moment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jason!
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

4. Back To Top    #4

I forgot to ask... should I raise my TA, and if I do, what should I raise it to?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It seems to me that TA can be dealt with reasonably well at a pretty wide range. Like Jason, tho, I would suggest bumping it to about 70-80.....that's a good range for an SWG pool.

You might do that test one more time before you do that.....make sure it was accurate the first time.

When you raise it, do it with baking soda.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by triplets&quads
    I forgot to ask... should I raise my TA, and if I do, what should I raise it to?
    Recommended Level is 60 to 80.

Since you appear to be up and running, I'd increase the TA.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!