Best sand filter?

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I am debating replacing my cartridge filters with a sand filter..Problem is my pool is covered my tree's ( not mine or would vanish ) and I have to clean the filter about once a month even with the huge 4 filter model. Even then I end up replacing all 4 filters about once a year..I get pollen, Hardwood junk, pine junk and who knows what else..

Thinking a sand filter might make more sense..Its a 15x20 kidney and estimating around 18000 gallons. I run my pump 24 hours a day during the summer.
Reading the reviews on amazon seems the hayward proline has a lot of issues with leaks..I think I need a 24 or 27" with 2" plumbing.
Thoughts, suggestions?

Do you have a good place you can run the backwash water to that will not flood or erode your or your neighbors yard? That is the most important thing to think about before you change to a sand filter. I LOVE my sand filter and will get another one when this one tells me it is time.

What about putting hairnets or skimmer socks in the skimmer?

A lot of us use those to keep less junk from entering filters.
If you run pump 24/7 you may need to check them daily to prevent clogging.

If it isn't that much debris it might solve your problem though.

I love my sand filter too but if you're cleaning you "huge 4 cartridge filter" every month, you'll likely be cleaning you sand filter every few days! I've not heard of the Hayward Proline having any more issues than any other filter(?)

I am very pleased with my sand filter as well. I had an algae bloom when I opened my pool for the first time and back washed a lot. Once I adopted the TFP method and stayed on top of my maintenance I think I back washed 2 maybe 3 times last summer.

This summer I am going to add skimmer socks and a robot. I'm getting the robot to lessen (automate) my cleaning chores.

I live on a wooded lot. Once spring and fall have done there thing its all the dirt roads around me that kick up a fine dust and settle into the pool.

I have a few months during mid summer when it stays clean but I usually get junk year round..I do have a drain for the old sand filter that was here years ago..At least with a sand filter I can do a short backwash and keep running vs a hour long process of removing, cleaning and putting back together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.