Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand, Cartridge or DE Filter Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand, Cartridge or DE Filter Question

I am probably going to change out my 10 year old cartridge filter and wonder what the board here thinks is the best replacement type.........sand, cartridge or DE filter. Thanks, all.
    17K gal 16X31 vinyl DE 3/4 HP Hayward Max Flo Ultra Vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand, Cartridge or DE Filter Question

They will all do the job, and different people will favor different ones.

Based on reading various previous threads on this topic, a sand filter augmented with 1/2 lb DE after each backwash is my personal choice for the optimal combination of filtering quality and maintenance hassle. Adding a little DE to sand improves the filtering and means you don't have to replace the sand as often.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

I do the same as PaulR. Many are happy with DE also. You'll get more responses. List the info about your pool in your signature. Will help people with filter size etc.,.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

None of the three types of filters are best in all situations. There is an article about this in Pool School that runs through the major differences.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School