Another leaking heater - Watch your pool chemistry!

You would need a new heat exchanger, which is expensive in parts and labor.

If the water leak damaged the rest of the heater, you're probably going to need to replace the heater.

Usually, copper cyanurate does not form until someone realizes that the pH is dangerously low and throws in a bunch of sodium carbonate to raise the pH.

Yes it is purple (copper) cyanurate. This heater needs a new heat exchanger and a probably a new pilot assemble.

The most troublesome issue you run into is the pool guys that say it wasn't what they did or didn't do that caused this and it is a heater issue. Well we know differently. The pool guy told the home owner they had a pink algae issue which can be mistaken for purple (copper) cyanurate. The pool water does need to be balanced correctly to get rid of this before the heater is fixed.

BTW, the heater is just under one year old and the damage is not covered under the warranty.

The take away on this, make sure your water is balanced properly. If you use a pool service for convenience, you really need to spot check them often.

WOW! :shock:

A one year old heater trashed.... how much is that gonna cost to fix or replace? How'd the owners take the news?

Maddie :flower:

About half the price of a completely new heater and that's with me being generous. She seemed to take it pretty well and almost didn't seemed concerned, until I told her the price to repair it.

The thing that really ticks me off is the attitude of these pool service companies. It's always never their fault and they always say the heater was made with inferior material. However, there is no mistaking what causes a heat exchanger failure. I have customers ask me for a recommendation on a pool service and I always tell them that they are the best service and do it themselves and to use this site to help them. However, most folks are "too busy" to do it themselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Paul, can you share the make/model/BTU of the heater size..thanks either way, tstex

Yes this is a Rheem/Raypak 266K BTU heater.

- - - Updated - - -

I would guess Raypak.

What were the chemistry readings?

Are the service people taking responsibility for the damage?

I didn't take any readings. The issue with taking readings at the time of findings, the water could have already been balanced so I don't worry about it.

Unknown if the service company is going to take any responsibility for this but as history has shown me, they usually do not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.