FC: 8.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
CH: 300
TA: 100
CYA: 40
Temp: 49

CSI: -0.33

Bottom line up front, I'm a bit confused about how low my pH is given my TA measurements, despite two 1 pound adds of soda ash over the course of three weeks or so.

I've been trying to bring my CSI above -.3 to -.2 because I want to have a healthy environment for my plaster. So, in the past three weeks (and with plenty of time in between mind you), I've done two adds of soda ash at about one pound on each add, and I've done two adds of calcium to bring my CH up from 250.

My pH did rise up to about 7.9 after each add of soda ash, but over the course of a week it drifted back down. It went all the way down to 7.4 after the first add, and as you can see here, it's gone down to 7.5 and seems to be holding stable.

My numbers aren't bad per se, but I'm a bit confused to see pH act this way given my TA. I would expect pH to rise slowly like it did in the summer at the same TA level. Could it be a function of cold / near freezing weather? (Also, my CH didn't seem to come up as high as I would have expected either given the amount of additive I used to bring it up. Yes, I admit, I'm using some Leslie's Calcium Up product for which I have failed to find the "active ingredient" anywhere on the container. I'm not too worried about CH not rising as much as expected, though)

Any thoughts? Am I being too intense trying to adjust my overall CSI?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I don't have a cover on my pool for the winter. And my fill water pH is about 7.6.

CSI of -3 is fine. You can’t dial in levels as precisely as you would like. PH & TA are the most difficult to control. Thats why recommend levels are in ranges. Anywhere in the range is ok.

I do not understand.......do you think your pH should be higher? Lower? You can adjust your TA lower (or higher) and still leave pH alone but why do you think there is something wrong with it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.