Pentair IC40 Easytouch Reporting 0 ppm Salt

Nov 8, 2018
Florida
Moved from here

I too have a Pentair Easy Touch system and an IC40 that was installed just this past June. It had been working fine and registering the PPM, but now for some reason the Chlorinator diagnostics on the Easy Touch is indicating 0 PPM. The systems says there are no errors and all the lights are green on the IC40, but 0 PPM. I've checked all the connections and they appear solid. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "Great Old Car" pool questions... :shark:

Pentair has a recent problem where the cell does not report the salt level to the EasyTouch.. The cell still works, and as long as the low salt light on the cell does not come on you have nothing to worry about.

Pentair knows about the problem, but I am not sure they know exactly what is causing it. Since this is a new unit, call your pool builder or Pentair and they will send someone out to replace parts until it works... So far this problem has reportedly been fixed by replacing the flow switch, the cell itself, the SWCG power supply board and the Main board in the EasyTouch. Sometimes, just rebooting the system will fix it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had the same problem last month with the easy touch showing a salt level of 0. My pool equipment is out of warranty so had to figure it out. From what I could tell from looking online is that in most cases it was a flow control switch going bad. The switch measures both water flow and temperature. My guess is that the temperature sensor goes bad since the IC-40 works correctly and all the status lights on it (including the flow status) show it's fully operational. I ordered an IntelliChlor Flow Switch Replacement (Pentair 520736). It was easy and quick to swap out (plastic hex bolt), hardest part was to cut the 4 wires and connect them to the new switch with included gel filled connectors. Works as it should now, $50 part vs $500-$700 to replace the salt cell.

Reactions: iburman
I had the same problem. I replaced my IC-60 in June 2017 after having the initial one installed for about 5 years. After about 12 months of use, the cell would frequently report 0 ppm under diagnostics mode on the EasyTouch. Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it did not report any salt despite the fact that the unit would apparently function (all green lights). In the last six or so months, I 0 ppm always, despite green lights coming on. I decided to swap out the old sensor from the previous unit and now the system works fine and reports the appropriate salt level. Clearly, this is a sensor issue. I think I'll take apart the non-functional sensor and see if I can replace the thermistor.

Incidentally, I found a description of some onboard diagnostics that can be done on the Intellichlor that confirmed there was a problem with the sensor. I think I may have found it here, but don't recall. When you hold down the More button for several seconds, the unit will display the elapsed time on the SWCG. If you press the More button again while it's displaying the cell life, it will show the temperature that the flow/temp sensor is reporting to the SWCG. In my case, all 5 chlorine level LEDs flashed, indicating that the temperature sensor was defective. In this case, the Intellichlor will assume that the temperature is 75F and continue to produce chlorine, although it needs to determine temperature to operate correctly. It cannot determine the salinity if it doesn't properly calculate temperature from this sensor. After replacing the sensor, it now reports temperature (the 60% and 80% LEDs light up with the second More button push), and can now report the salt level to the EasyTouch. I would recommend this test to determine if the problem is with the sensor rather than a communications issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: iburman
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.