Corpus Christi, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey there everyone I’m scratching my head!!! I’ve started slamming my pool cause the pool was clear and looked like there was either a lot of dirt or sand out of the sand filter in the middle of the pool so I started sweeping the pool walls and floors and water turned a greenish color and real cloudy... I vacuumed the pool and tested and I’ll post pre slam results and results before I started slam... I made sure everything was in order...

First Test:
FC -0.5
CC - 0.5
PH - 8.0
TA - 90
CH - 210
CYA - 30
Salt - 2400
Borates - 30

Added Some Muriatic Acid To get PH down before starting slam App told me to add 48 oz to get PH to 7.3 - 7.4 I waited an hour and retested...

Second Test:
FC - 0.5
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.1
TA - 60
CH - 210
CYA - 30
Salt - 2400
Borates - 30

Now I know there’s no need to test all of that but I like to see where everything is at before starting...

So I started my slam at 10.30am and added 242 oz = 2 bottles of 8.25% bleach and that took my FC to 15.0 I know my slam level is 12.0 but thought it wouldn’t hurt!!! I tested again at...
11:30 - FC - 15.0
12:30 - FC - 13.0
2:30 - FC - 13.0
3:30 - FC - 13.0
4:30 - FC - 13.0
8:30- FC - 13.0

So I didn’t have to add a single drop of bleach all day... <—- “scratching my head”
Anyways at 8:30 I went ahead and added a gallon of bleach to get it up because we were gonna be leaving early in the morning and we’re gonna be gone for a while FC went to 20.0 so I overslept a bit and woke up at 8:30am and tested and I was at FC - 20.0 <— “scratching my head again” So we didn’t end up leaving anywhere after all so I got to test again here are my results

10:30- FC - 17.5
3:30- FC - 17.0
6:30- FC - 17.0

Was doing yard work so didn’t test as frequently... anyways that’s where I stand as of now... haven’t had to add anything and it’s not going like a regular SLAM would... the temps yesterday were around 56-58 and today around 68-70 I had read on here somewhere that the cold water doesn’t affect FC or CC readings so you don’t have to wait and get it to room temp before testing... So does anyone have any idea why I’m not having to add or why my chlorine isn’t getting consumed? The water is still a bit cloudy but the green went away right away after adding the bleach and sweeping the pool... any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Bagd did you say what the water temperature is? Saw the air temp. I assume the water temp is well above 60, or is it around 60....in which case perhaps there is very lethargic algae activity in your pool because of the colder temps and you easily zapped it with the heavy dose of chlorine?

So does anyone have any idea why I’m not having to add or why my chlorine isn’t getting consumed?
Colder temps = slower actions and reactions.

Continue to SLAM. That means BRUSHING, vacuuming and keeping your FC at SLAM level. What does your water look like now?

Water is still a little cloudy... I can see the bottom of the pool... I could probably pass the penny test but it’s not close to the crystal clear and sparkling that we on this site are all accustomed too.. [emoji23] I’ll continue slamming until I pass all 3 criteria but the OCLT is a little hard to pass since the consumption is so very little and the numbers are staying the same for such a long period of time... last test was last night around 6:30pm cause I got busy but I was at FC - 17.0 and I woke up at 8:00 am and Tested and was at FC - 12.5 that’s probably the most consumption I have seen throughout these couple of days slamming but it is a 14 hour gap between tests... well back at it I go...

Just a little question of curiosity...
If the pool isn’t being used and you know it’s not gonna used or it’s the season it won’t get used... If you need to SLAM the pool does it hurt to slam at a higher ppm then needed? Will it kill the algae quicker or is it a waste of bleach or will it hurt a pool surface any given surface? Are there any benefits or downfalls to slamming at a higher level...

Degradation of vinyl liner, especially any graphics or color, loss of chlorine is higher due to UV, does not speed up the process, Etc.

Good information to know... Thank you mknauss... I didn’t speed up the process I stayed with it but there were a few times where I did add more than required because I was gonna be gone or not available to test or add for awhile... But I will keep that in mind and put it in the memory bank...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.