Losing more water in Cold Weather vs. Warm Weather

Nov 16, 2018
St. Petersburg, FL
Pool Size
In summer (Austin, TX), I typically run my hose to fill my in-ground pool about an hour a week. It's about 2" a week... which seems to be in line with 1/4" per day for evaporation. However, since it's turned colder, I'm having to run hose more than 2x to account for water loss? Is it possible I have a small leak that is contracting in the cool water/weather that's allowing more water to leak?

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Thanks!
Lee

Thanks for the welcome! Nothing way out of the ordinary. Thought we had a leak last year... so quit adding water in Winter and the leaking quit when water was about halfway down the pool. Left it half-filled thru Winter. In Spring, couldn't find any leaks... so refilled it. As shared in initial post, over the last 8 or so months, I've typically added about 2" per week. But in the last 2 weeks, have added probably 8" to 10". I'm thinking with your question you may be thinking along with lower humidity... evaporation is rising and winds may be blowing it away?

Lee,

Last year, if it dropped half way down and then stopped, that indicates a leak to me... What is half way down? I suspect the light.

Can't think of a reason it would be worse in the winter. :confused: Maybe soil movement??

I believe that you are loosing too much water for it to be evaporation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Same thing happens here in Georgia-warmer water with much cooler temps causes evaporation. In fact, my pool this a.m. has an enormous amount of steam burning off now. I’ve noticed an increase in “leak” posts every Fall since I’ve been on TFP

Thought same thing... and it would seem incredulous to not be a leak. Half way is a filter intake. Before it got that low, I tested with dye and so did a leak detection guy... and we saw nothing. Coincidentally, it's also about the same level as the last set of steps off the 'beach'. That got me thinking maybe there is a hairline crack that I can't see (and dye tests showed nothing I could detect) that is widening as temperatures cool. I know nothing about concrete/pebble but just assumed it's slightly less brittle and maybe even expands slightly in heat but contracts in cooler temps... and maybe the hairline crack is now slightly more than hairline. But odd to me in spring/summer I didn't have indications of leak after refilling. If there is a crack near step or something near intake filter that precipitated the water decline in winter... why wouldn't I experience it in Spring/Summer?

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing happens here in Georgia-warmer water with much cooler temps causes evaporation. In fact, my pool this a.m. has an enormous amount of steam burning off now. I’ve noticed an increase in “leak” posts every Fall since I’ve been on TFP

Thanks Will... good to know this. I need to get a solar blanket on and see what happens to the level. If it doesn't lose as much water... may just be significant evaporation. If my skin is any indication, it's dry as heck here now!

Try putting a bucket of water on the steps so that you can measure the evaporation and compare it to the water loss.

If the water loss from the bucket is less than the water loss from the pool, you have a leak.

Winter is drier and colder which results in more evaporation. I see this on my Aquariums as well. They lose a full 2x the amount in winter vs summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.