Howdy, from Tucson

Oct 30, 2018
Tucson, AZ
Although I grew up in a home with a swimming pool, I never wanted one for my 1st several homes because of the care I was charged with. My Dad used to have me skim and vacuum the pool regularly, which was a giant PITA back in the 80s and 90s. Today, I've got a family of my own (2 kids) and we've now got a home with a pool and a hot tub! Very excited, although I've still not gone for a swim in the pool... only hung out in the hot tub for a bit.

I know very little about the chemical aspect of pool maintenance, so looking forward to learning all about that. I'm also very interested in automation and telemetry of sensors, so looking forward to computerizing my pool setup, if and when it makes sense.

Our pool and spa is a "Moonlight Gray Pebbletec" finish with a rock waterfall, autofill valve, and Pentair CP100 controller in the house and at the spa. I thought that the pool didn't have any lights, but apparently it has some kind of fiber optic lighting system that isn't functional right now. Probably one of the 1st things I'll need to debug. It's got popup valves for filtration all throughout the pool and spa floor and was built in 1997.

Thank you.

I ordered a TF-100 test kit to start and also picked up an Oakton pH test meter.

I did some poking around in the mechanical room and discovered that the filter is a standard sand filter, Pentair Triton II unit. The pressure currently reads 20 psi when the system is active. What I really need to figure out is what time and how long the system is activated everyday... the Compool controller has a dial timer on it, but I have no idea how to read it! I'm sure I'll be able to find the instructions for the controller online, but it'd be nice to be able to adjust this sort of thing via your phone or computer interface.