Antifreeze in returns?

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
Had my pool closed recently and they only put antifreeze in the skimmers and did not funnel the antifreeze into the returns. Is this a problem? All skimmers and drains were blown out and plugged.

Had my pool closed recently and they only put antifreeze in the skimmers and did not funnel the antifreeze into the returns. Is this a problem? All skimmers and drains were blown out and plugged.

No, not at all. I am even surprised that they put antifreeze in the skimmers. It really all depends on where you live. What area or town are you in NJ? You will be fine.

Did they add antifreeze to the plumbing of the skimmers or the skimmer basket? Essex County is definitely colder (for the most part) than Monmouth county, but a few degrees and another 2 feet of snow is really no big deal. The skimmers could fill up and leak a little and they were just taking precautions. A lot of times, they are justifying doing their jobs. Assuming water was at normal level as well and they did not lower 1" below the skimmer, unless you performed this task.

They put antifreeze in just the skimmer baskets after fully blowing out all the lines. What is normal practice for pool companies? Do they add antifreeze to all the plumbing? Or just the baskets?

They put antifreeze in just the skimmer baskets after fully blowing out all the lines. What is normal practice for pool companies? Do they add antifreeze to all the plumbing? Or just the baskets?

There is no normal practice. Antifreeze is added at the discretion of the owner and pool company. Always a good idea in areas where the weather is really cold. Antifreeze is only good in return lines and skimmer lines, not the main drain as it is heavier compared to water and will sink to the bottom of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.