Newly filled pool

Oct 10, 2018
Fresno CA
Hello. Just refilled the pool. Quick question. Do you recommend using a scale free product in your pool water or as long as you keep you pool water balanced, you shouldn't have to worry about scale and calcium build-up on your tile?

A new (plaster) pool might benefit from the use of a sequestrant just in case there are any minerals/metals in the local water that could cause staining. I think some scale free products "claim" to help with potential staining as well, but if you're concerned mainly with calcium scale itself, it shouldn't be required as long as the recommended levels are maintained. Use the TFP PoolMath tool to try and keep the water's "CSI" level in the neutral or slightly negative range to avoid scale and you should be fine. If you encounter any specific problems, let us know. Don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info as well. :wink:

Hi neighbor! Welcome to TFP!!

I poured in the one jug of sequestrant left to me by the plaster company. Since then, I've put chlorine, muriatic acid, cyanuric acid and salt in my pool. (Oh, and some pesky humans.) And absolutely nothing else. One year old and I can't find a spec of calcium anywhere. My pool was covered in it before the remodel, so I know I have "problem water" from the street. I am fanatical about keeping my CSI between -0.3 and 0.0, but that's it. Follow TFPC and you'll be good to go.

If your town is like mine and you have high CH fill water, you might consider topping off the pool with
soft water. That's key for me in keeping my CH level from rising.

Please have a look at this and fill in your signature, so we all know what kind of pool we're answering questions about.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.