Losing the battle with the Green Eyed Monster!!!

Aug 17, 2017
Maidstone, ON
Hi!

this is my second summer using the TFP method. 2 weeks ago, I turned it from green (thanks to a vacation) to clear by slamming. It passed the OCLT. Algae again every morning. So confusing! Slammed again. Passed OCLT again. Still have algae, have to vacuum/backwash/rinse every day. I’ve also had to keep the FC at crazy high levels, and it’s not even helping. So frustrating!! I use bleach for raising FC.

Today’s readings:

-FC: 34
-CYA: I can see the dot @ 50, but when SLAM wasn’t working, I started treating it as 70. I find CYA difficult. Depends on your eye sight maybe ;).
-PH 7.8
-TA 90
-CC 0.5
-Temp 78

there are 2 weeks left of summer. I’m hoping to hang on for my kids sake... but this is so brutal!

is there anything I haven’t thought of, other than draining the pool and refilling??

Thank you!

You need to search the inside of your pool and find out where the algae is hiding. Remove your ladder and examine it carefully. You have steps into your pool?

Post some pics of the inside of your pool. I think we have to see what you are dealing with. Hard to guess.

Post some pics of the inside of your pool. I think we have to see what you are dealing with. Hard to guess.

asset.php

Took a pano shot to get the whole pool in there... hence the odd shape.

Ugh! I’ve been trying to figure out how to post the pic another way from my iPhone but it’s not working.

Would the high chlorine affect the ph? It continues to read high. That’s all I can think of to adjust along with the chlorine. But seriously, I’m ready to just close it. So much work & so frustrating!! This didn’t happen to us last year, so I’m not sure what has changed.

pH tests are invalid when FC is above 10 ppm.

With a very short amount of season left, unless it creates other issues, just maintain your FC at 20% of CYA and let there be some dead algae each day. It is not harmful as long as your FC stays above the minimum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update. Took a sample to a pool store- first time ever setting foot in one. My Taylor kit told me I had 38ppm FC... their computer? 8.4 :mad:. So I’m thinking my DPD powder is no longer good, which is why I’ve been so frustrated. Ughhh!!!! Now to get this pool closed with no chlorine values... double ughhh!!!

Update. Took a sample to a pool store- first time ever setting foot in one. My Taylor kit told me I had 38ppm FC... their computer? 8.4 :mad:. So I’m thinking my DPD powder is no longer good, which is why I’ve been so frustrated. Ughhh!!!! Now to get this pool closed with no chlorine values... double ughhh!!!

I believe your Taylor kit. Likely the pool store equipment cannot handle high FC values.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.