My first attempt at a slam

Bille

Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Abingdon maryland
Hi all, my tf-100 kit came today, as recommended by you guys. Right now my pool looks like this:

i used the daily ph test which I think I’m at 7.5. Sometimes I have a hard time matching the colors on that test so I did a second ph test on a crappy kit I had and it said 7.6.

I did the cya test and the first time it was right between 60 and 50. But a week ago the pool store said I was at 20. I’ve been adding a bottle of bleach every other night so not sure if that’s why it went up. I decided to do a second cya this time out in the sun so I could see better and the point I absolutely couldn’t see the black dot was 40.

So I looked at the chart and it says my shock level is 16.

Should I run to the store now and get bleach? Do I add one bottle, wait and test to see if I’m at 16? The daily chlorine test said I was at .5. Should I add the bleach only at night or does that not matter?

Great job on getting a test kit!

Use the CYA you did as described in Pool School - CYA

Add bleach now using PoolMath to get to FC of 16 ppm. Circulate and brush the pool and then test again in a couple hours. Add bleach at that time to get to FC of 16 ppm. Continue to test and dose with bleach to 16 ppm FC until you pass the three criteria for a successful SLAM Process.

The bleach you have been adding did not add CYA. It was in the pool before. Ignore the pool store test. They are rarely correct, especially with CYA.

Use pool math (link is above) to determine how much chlorine to add. Just check FC tonight. If you can, post your results like this:

6:00 pm
FC = 1
Added 5 gallons of 6%

8:00 pm
FC = 10
Added 2 gallons of 6%

10:00 pm
FC = 13
added 1 gallon of 6%

9:00 pm
fc = 0
Added 4 gallons of 8.25%

11:00 pm
fc = 24
Added nothing

I'm surprised its 24 after 4 gallons, I thought I did the calc correct. This was my first time doing the drop test, but once I put the heaping spoon of powder in the water turned pink. I did each drop one at a time and swirled gently. At drop #40 the water turned purple and at drop #48 its was mostly clear.

I guess I check again in 2 hours?

Are you sure the pool holds 20,500 gallons? 4 gallons of 8.25% should raise a 14,000 gallon pool by 24ppm.
The other possibility is that you took way too long to do the drop test. How's the water look this morning?
Run the filter 24/7 until the water clears.

I’m not sure it’s 20,500 gallons. I just got the house and the last people told me it was 20,500. The water looks a little clearer today:

aluminum chloride molecular formula

i timed myself doing the drop test and from start (about to pour pool water to 10ml line) to finish (water turns clear) it took about 4 minutes.

This is rhe the history of my tests so far:

fc = 0
Added 4 gallons of 8.25%

fc = 24
added 0

1:00 am
fc = 19.5
added 0

7:30 am
fc = 17.5
added 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dedicated!
1am checks and these folks advice you should be cleared up soon!

I splurged and bought the speed stir, well worth it in my opinion.

If you aren't sure about size of pool and cant calculate it, I would check FC, add chlorine, wait 30 minutes or so, check again. Compare pool math to the change in FC. Adjust pool size until it reflects actual change. Maybe do this a couple times. MAKE SURE YOUR OTHER POOL DATA CORRECT IN POOL MATH FIRST.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought of this. Check %CL on jug and in pool math. Using 6% in pool math and 12% jug will mess you up too.

I’m not sure it’s 20,500 gallons. I just got the house and the last people told me it was 20,500. The water looks a little clearer today:

aluminum chloride molecular formula

i timed myself doing the drop test and from start (about to pour pool water to 10ml line) to finish (water turns clear) it took about 4 minutes.

This is rhe the history of my tests so far:

fc = 0
Added 4 gallons of 8.25%

fc = 24
added 0

1:00 am
fc = 19.5
added 0

7:30 am
fc = 17.5
added 0

For what it’s worth, the previous and original owners of our house told us the pool was 27000 gallons, but the pool company who built the pool confirmed it was actually 22000 gallons! They had no idea!

My filter has 1 cartridge and I have a spare I alternate. Pressure was at 18 when I put clean one in, I check it a little while ago and it was at 25. Plus I brushed the walls a little while ago so I’m sure it’s clogged. I’m gonna switch them out now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.