drewgost

Sep 7, 2016
MA
I have been having trouble keeping Chlorine as everyone knows from my post. Today cleaning out skimmers I found in the two holes at the bottom of the skimmers this nasty looking almost jelly (Sn****) looking **** color could be very light green to white.
Is it what Algea looks like? sorry no pics

Due to the large variety of algae and the stages of its lifecycle, it can appear in different colors. But I'd say most common is probably in the light-to-dark green shades. It can settle and be brushed as dust on the floor, or become stubbornly attached to the pool shell and in some cases like plaster develop a root system if neglected for longer periods of time. Regardless, if you see something unfamiliar in the skimmer or any part of the pool, it's time to ht it manually then watch for other signs of similar growth. Consider implementing a SLAM Process or perhaps an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule-out excessive chlorine consumption.

Just had a chance to remove the lights holy cannoli more algae filled
how to handle?
removed lights will clean down with Clorox cleaner as recommended do I leave lights out and slam pool I’m at 2 ppm right now brush all algae to main drain then clean out filter in Am
thank you

Thanks MK just finished taking apart both lights and spraying and wiping vigorously all parts. I will leave out and have started the slam process. Unfortunately I am out of liquid bleach but did manage to dump in the 3 gallons to bring up to 16ppm
i only have left re-fresh shock and sanitizer
its Calcium Hypochlorite with 58% available chlorine minimum
I will have to continue with that if needed
your thoughts? I also picked up Clorox xtra blue chlorinating tablets I could put them in my chlorine tube as well

What is your CH? The Cal Hypo adds calcium as well as chlorine.

Not suggested to use the pucks. They have copper in them plus you should not be changing your CYA level during a SLAM if possible as it changes the FC level you must use.

Read the article on the SLAM Process process. This is continually maintaining your FC at SLAM level for a number of days.

dbtgallery.php

Not sure how heavy rain can effect all readings,
Yesterday morning 8/10 I picked up more LC and added to get to 15ppm that was at 10am, at 6pm I checked it was at 8ppm but a very sunny hot 90+ day and pool is full sun, zero shade ever. I added levels to bring back to 15ppm at 6:30pm and did not have a chance to check the readings I woke up to heavy rains still at this hour and will get out to check the FC. The lights are still out of the cavity in the pool. I am hoping that all this chlorine will kill any algea still in there.

Questions:
Does the rain effect any readings?
Should I clean out the filter cartridges to help get rid of algea?

CH was at 450 can i get that lowered?

Questions: Does the rain effect any readings? Should I clean out the filter cartridges to help get rid of algea? CH was at 450 can i get that lowered?

Rain will not usually affect your readings, unless you have a lot of rain within a week (I.E. 12" of rain), and that is usually PH drop along with reduction of levels because of removing water. Also, rain could consume your chlorine a little faster. Bay adding liquid chlorine during the day, in the sun, your FC will be consumed by sunlight, even in the afternoon on a hot sunny day. This is why we recommended dosing the pool very early or very late, and not in between. I can not tell you by how much, but some will burn off automatically to the sun before attaching to the CYA.

Regarding your CH, check the CSI to make sure you are within guidelines, as you may be fine. Also, what is your fill water for CH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regarding your CH, check the CSI to make sure you are within guidelines, as you may be fine. Also, what is your fill water for CH?

Thanks for the reply, CSI was in range though I dont have that reading at this moment. as far as fill water I have not needed to add any water for 6 weeks or so but when I do it is house water and pretty sure the water here is hard.

- - - Updated - - -

using the pool calc my CSI is at 0.19

8/11/18 = 10:00AM: 5ppm, add 2.5gls LC
= 1:00PM: 15ppm, add 0 LC
= 7:00PM: 12.5ppm, add 0 LC
8/12/18 = 7:00AM: 10.0ppm

Am I good pool looks great, yesterday I cleaned filters, all baskets and scrubbed down the skimmer walls. The lights are still out on the deck I will be putting them in today. My pH is still high it keeps going up now around 7.8,
is this a bad reading due to the chlorine reading? I will test again today for numbers and add MA to bring down if still up.
Biggest challenge is having enough LC on hand as Lowes keeps running out, and thanks for the date heads up they had 9 bottles with 17 on them.

Thanks for all your help

The additions of liquid chlorine will raise PH. As the chlorine burns off, the PH will naturally drift back down. If your PH is 7.8 and with a reading that is high, then nothing to worry about. Continue the SLAM and stay within the parameters of your CSI to prevent scaling. If your fill water is high, then only item that will bring down hardness is a "Reverse Osmosis" treatment. I would leave alone if pool is being managed properly.

Ok Dave,
So the pH was 7.25ppm and the CL was 4.5ppm at 7:30 AM, as of 3:30 pm today the pH rose to 7.5ppm and the CL dropped to 3ppm at 3:30 pm. I think that is good and will add appropriate amounts of MA and CL to make adjustments.
(60 oz of LC and 31 oz of MA)
My next tackle will be to get the CH down as it is around 375
But good news is CSI is balanced 0.27

Thanks for all the help to understand the chemicals in my pool

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.