Is this black algae, or stains, or???

Holmes0412

May 26, 2023
Beaumont, TX
A little background, this pool was built in 2017 and is gunite. I'm gustimating it is +/- 12,000 gallons? The house was a foreclosure when we bought it this past April, and it sat vacant for over a year. I think the owner stopped taking care of the pool 1-2 years prior to that, so I believe that it sat untouched for +/- 3 years. I have never owned a pool and didn't know what to do, so I waited until a local pool builder/cleaner could come check it out. They had the pool from a swamp to crystal clear in a little over a week. They vacuumed to waste as much of the growing algae as they could every day and then hit it with large amounts of Leslie's power powder plus and alum after a few days of the vacuuming. The attached pics show the progress. The black stuff on the walls is the only thing remaining to really deal with. It is all the way around the pool on all the walls, but none of it is on the floor. I am guessing because of all the power powder he put in there settled to the bottom and killed it all off? There's light staining on the floor and there are patches of gunite that is missing or damaged form the neglect.

I have tried to rub the walls with a chlorine puck after brushing with a steel brush, and you can see where I went over it randomly one time in the pics. It came off everywhere I rubbed the puck, so does this mean it's for sure black algae? Or is it stains from all the other algea that didn't come off like it did on the floor?

What's the best way to cure it if it's black algae? I don't think it's feasible to scrub almost every inch of the walls with a puck. What do you think?? Tia

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 14
  • pool 7.jpg
    pool 7.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 20
  • pool 6.jpg
    pool 6.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 16
  • pool 5.jpg
    pool 5.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 18
  • pool 4.jpg
    pool 4.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 16
  • pool 3.jpg
    pool 3.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 14
  • pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 14
Thank you James, I will order the test kit. Leslie's is at the end of the road, but every time I bring my water in they state their machine is messing up and giving everyone a reading for copper, so I have never actually tested the water for it

Attachments

• pool 8.jpg
    pool 8.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So when we checked the mail yesterday, I finally got my stain ID kit in but did not have a chance yesterday to do it. I did try to snap a few pics of the yellow stuff all over the walls, see below. You can see the black spots in-between where the scale is not at. And idea of what I am looking at here? Another odd thing is in the pic with the return jet it in, there is a line straight down the wall where there is no build up. I thought that was strange, no clue why it's like that.

This stuff does not scrape off with just a fingernail.

Pool 10.jpgPool 9.jpg

Yeah, quite a mess you inherited. Take it one step at a time. Test with the ID kit as James recommended. You already know you have some organic staining confirmed by the puck testing. Rubbing some cal-hypo on some areas might be a good organic test as well. Rub some areas with a Vitamin C tablet to test for iron. Very possible some of if those things are covered by scale as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.