vacuum just stirs up particles

Aug 2, 2018
red bluff ca
wife went to pool supply place and bought super crystal clarifier. this stuff is so fine I can't vacuum it without it stirring it all up! vacuumed at least 6 times slowly as possible recharging de filter each time. still have this stuff on the bottom after settling. somebody help please.

You should NOT filter without DE in a DE filter BUT if you you have the option to vacuum to waste it bypasses the grids and sends the water and stuff straight out of the pool! VERY useful for times like this.

Kim:kim:

live in northern California about 40 miles from a 175,000 acre wildfire. now I believe this fine dust is airborne ash, problem started about same time as fire. new question will ash deplete the chlorine in my pool rapidly? having a hard time getting chlorine levels up.

Ash probably won't affect chlorine but might change pH a bit. Well I take that back - it might be good nutrients for algae. Read pool school and get your chlorine up to SLAM level - but read about how to do it right - not the pool store way!, get the right test kit

Pool School - Pool School
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
TFTestkits.net

if your filter truly can't get the ash out, let things settle and slowly vacuum using a siphon - it won't dump quite as much water as using your pump. just go slow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had ash from the massive eagle creek fire 1 year ago.

Thankfully I had the bubble cover on and not much got in but some did.

Smart or dumb move, I ran the pump and used a garden hose on full with a pistol grip sprayer
to divert the ash into the skimmer. Of course some of it sunk down in the gap between
the wall and the cover. If my backyard had room I would have just pulled the cover
off and rinsed it that way.

I think it was about two weeks before it was finally completely cleaned out of the water.

I should have just run the pump 24/7 til it was clean but kept the 2 hour daily timer use instead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.