First timer!

Aug 3, 2018
Collinsville
Well we are first time above ground pool owners, and me being me I had to upgrade things from the start. Thankfully I was introduced to this forum and have been lurking for a bit. We bought the 14'x42" Ultra Frame, then added a 1050 GPH sand filter, then bought a used CS8110 SWG and the deluxe intex skimmer. Everything was great, even before switching from the small cartridge style pump and filter...I thought this is not as hard as I figured!! So I started the upgrades, added about 70 LBS of salt, ran the pump for 4 hours a day and the SWG 3 hours, and things were money...until we went on vacation..and the SWG died on us...and came back to a green pool! I had some shock treatment (Calcium Hypochlorite) and shocked since I was without a SWG. Knocked the algae down and have been brushing and vacuuming regularly, but it still hasn't cleared up, still green and murky. I ended up buying a new Intex 26667 SWG, but when turned on, I am getting the high salt code 92, and it shuts off after a minute or so. So, I think I need to drain some water (how much?) and refill. Do I need need to get the salt right and SWG working before SLAMing it? Should I buy the K-1766 test before I start, or take it in to get the salt tested? I think I read that the new SWG I bought likes it at 2500ppm. Here's my latest numbers from testing. Thank you to anyone who can get me headed in the right direction!!
FC = 2.5
CC = 1.0
TC = 3.5
CH = 225ppm (I think this is high? Pool math said drain 41% of pool)
TA = 60
CYA = 20
PH = 7.8

THANKS AGAIN :D

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

SLAM Process now. Reduce your pH to 7.2. I would add 10 ppm of CYA powder via the sock method and start adding liquid chlorine. The CH level is fine. You can get the salt tested by a store if you want. Best take the sample now as a SLAM level FC will freak them out.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will CYA measurement be correct while slamming? Just checked it, 50ppm, still feels like there's some product left in the sock...FC just checked in at 13 this AM. Getting ready to vacuum, but do see new algae growth on pool light that has been scrubbed a few times now. Do I need to bump FC up to 20 now that CYA shows 50?

1 week in...been brushing at least 1 time per day and vacuuming every day I'm not at work...I dont have the best vacuum I feel like, but I did it again today after shutting the pump off for a couple of hours before doing it (hoping for things to settle on bottom). I could see a visible difference while i was doing it and when I backwashed the filter, I could tell I made some headway! Now if I could get the cloudiness gone I'll hopefully be set. Ran the CYA test...came in @ 60ppm...new shock level of 24...added 48oz bleach...still slamming!
08730837cf92b2853ff50c427d860ae9.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.