Linz1

Jul 1, 2018
Surprise, Az
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have taken my water in to the local pool supply for the last 13 yrs. I need to get a test kit of my own. Recommendations? Struggling with CYA and hoping to not have to drain and fill. Also purchased a copper ionizer trying to reduce chlorine needed because it is so drying on the skin. Water has been crystal clear but now chemicals are out of whack. Am I going to ruin the plaster? Is high CYA dangerous for people? CYA 110 in June, now 130 one month later.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

High CYA is not harmful other than you need to be sure your FC is based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] or your pool will not be sanitary. Once your CYA rises to over 60 ppm in a non-saltwater pool it becomes difficult to manage.

Discontinue the use of the ionizer. It is adding metals that you do not want in your pool. Chlorine and a TFPC pool is what you want.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

I have taken my water in to the local pool supply for the last 13 yrs. I need to get a test kit of my own. Recommendations?

TF-100 Test Kit or Taylor K-2006-C.

Struggling with CYA and hoping to not have to drain and fill.

Unfortunately, draining is the only way of lowering CYA. You will have to do it.

Also purchased a copper ionizer trying to reduce chlorine needed because it is so drying on the skin.

I suggest you toss that in the garbage. Introducing copper into your water will only cause staining.

Water has been crystal clear but now chemicals are out of whack. Am I going to ruin the plaster?

Depends what is out of wack. Not if you get it under control in the next few weeks.

Is high CYA dangerous for people? CYA 110 in June, now 130 one month later.

No. But CYA of 130 requires unmanageable chlorine levels.

Get your test kit, post your tests here, and we can help you proceed.

Stay out of pool stores.