Pump / Filter problems?

Ok, after messing with it and searching the forums for 2 days, I’m not sure what I’m doing. We recently purchased a new home and have been fixing up the pool, finally got it full and went to start filtering and adding chemicals, the power to the pump died. Had to rewire all the equipment as there was an issue with the 220 run. Fired pump back up and now I can’t seem to hold prime, it starts circulating, picks up steam, then kind of sucks hard and lose all circulation, then repeats the cycle. Help?

tc,

Try running the pump with the multiport on your sand filter in the recirculate mode... I suspect the filter is stopped up from not being used for a while. If nothing else, it will tell you if the pump has an issue or not.

Also, you need to make sure the water is halfway up the skimmer mouth and that the weir door (between the skimmer mouth and the skimmer basket) is not stuck in the up position. It should float on top of the water...

Let us know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

tc,

Make sure the pump lid O-Ring is coated with pool lube and that the O-Ring is in good condition and the pump lid is on tight...

If you have a valve that allows you to select either the main drain or the Skimmer, try with the valve in the 100% skimmer position and then 100% main drain and the 50% main drain/skimmer and see if any of them work...

Here is the article Dave was recommending... Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Jim R.

So found a leak in the front drain plug, it’s in a really awkward position, and I didn’t get it tight enough. So with that fixed it will circulate great from the skimmer, but if I go 50-50 or just from the main, rate goes way down so I’m assuming there is a leak on the suction side of the main drain. Also found some leaks on the filter, so might just have to re plumb most of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.