Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all, this is my first season with pool and I'm learning each day (and getting frustrated too!!). This forum is amazing tho!

I have an algae problem (I think) that I have been attacking with a Cal-Hypo chlorine shock. See pic. I've been using strips to check FC and total chlorine and both are maxed over 10 ppm (at least as much as the strips tell you - which i've learned today isn't very much). When I add 2 lbs of shock the "dirt" you see in the pic turns gray-ish. When I just let the SWCG run it goes back to black/dark brown. I've learned that perhaps this is likely because of the level of CYA in the pool (seems to be in the range that is ok with SWCG but again, that's what the strip is telling me) and I need a certain amount to really kill the little buggers????

I have ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit and it's arriving Monday. I know I need to post full test results, and I will, and, I also probably need to SLAM, but here's my dilemma. I'm going on vacation in a week. I guess I should just let the SWCG do it's thing and keep it in control then SLAM when I get back, or try to SLAM now? I don't want to get started only to have to start over when I return. Anyway glad to have joined, thanks for reading.

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 276
Hello and welcome! :wave: Yes, if you are leaving soon and can't be around to do the SLAM, you could just do it when you return. However, if the test kit does arrive Monday and you have 4-5 days before you leave, you could start the SLAM. Your water looks clear with the exception of the organic material below. You might dodge a bullet and get the SLAM done earlier than expected. Even if it's not completely finished, it should help. Then you can pick it back up and finish when you return. So you have options. :)

Welcome! :wave:

You're somewhat handicapped without a test kit. Basically, you're working blind.

It doesn't look too bad - you can see through the water. I'd go for the SLAM before leaving town and let the SWG keep it clear. What happens if you don't treat it and the SWG decides the salinity is wrong, or the flow switch fails? No chlorine. You might come back to a swamp. But if it's algae-free when that happens, you have a sporting chance of coming home to a pool you can at least see through.

Thanks!! Yes, it's clear except for that stuff at the bottom. Forgot to mention I added algaecide (Nix brand) on Monday and it clouded up the pool until the filter did it's thing. Lots of gray dead stuff when I backwashed. (I also learned today that TFP doesn't like aglaecide :) ).

Edit - I think I'll SLAM beginning Sunday if the kit arrives. I'm ready to declare war.

I think I'll SLAM beginning Sunday if the kit arrives. I'm ready to declare war.
I like your thinking. :)

dbtgallery.php

Hello again, my test kit arrived today and here are my #s for this evening.

FC - 10 ppm
CC - 1 ppm
CYA - 70 ppm
pH 7.7
CH 30 ppm
TA 100 ppm

Plenty of FC...I vacuumed this afternoon before we had some people over, but now I'm seeing the beginnings of the brown stuff in crevices and corners of the pool (8-9 hrs later). I just turned down the SWCG a little (to 40%) to get the FC down a bit. Since I'm still seeing the brown stuff I guess the situation is that the FC is keeping it in control but need to SLAM to knock it out? I will test again in the AM and post those results. If I need to take this discussion to another sub-forum please let me know. Thanks!!

With a CYA of 70, you need to raise FC up to 28 PPM and keep it there until you pass the 3 criteria for ending a SLAM. Also, turn off your SWG during the SLAM and use just liquid chlorine. Generators are good at keeping a steady level of FC. They're not meant for big increases. Trying to use them this way will likely shorten their lifespan. Once your SLAM is done, then you can let the FC drift down to normal levels and then turn on your SWG to take over.

With a CYA of 70, you need to raise FC up to 28 PPM and keep it there until you pass the 3 criteria for ending a SLAM. Also, turn off your SWG during the SLAM and use just liquid chlorine. Generators are good at keeping a steady level of FC. They're not meant for big increases. Trying to use them this way will likely shorten their lifespan. Once your SLAM is done, then you can let the FC drift down to normal levels and then turn on your SWG to take over.

Thanks! Quick question re: SWG...is it OK to leave the generator plumbed in (and off) while SLAM, or is it better to remove it?

You can leave it plumbed in, just turn it off. It will preserve the life of the SWG to not overwork it for a slam. It can't produce chlorine fast enough to keep up with slam levels.

My test results today...I made a mistake last night - it was late and I'd had maybe a few beers. My CH was 300...

FC - 9.5 ppm
CC - 0.5 ppm
CYA - 70 ppm
pH 7.7
CH 300 ppm
TA 100 ppm
Water temp 87F
Chloride 3200ppm

If I'm getting ready to SLAM should I worry about lowering CH right now? I think the CH is because I'd been adding chlorine by using Cal-Hypo product....

Also, (just making sure I'm doing this right), using the pool calculator, to move from 9.5 FC to 28 I need to add 822 oz of 8.25% bleach...about 6.5 gallons (less than 10 bucks!!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK here we go. I lowered the pH before the test to 7.2. Pool calculator was perfect :)

I added the amount of 6% chlorine bleach (9.3 121 oz jugs) and looks like I overshot the 28 ppm target:

FC - 36 ppm (oops)
CC - 0 ppm
CYA - 65ppm
pH >8 (wow)
CH 325 ppm
TA 100 ppm

I think I read that the SLAM will affect the pH so I shouldn't worry about that right now? It was difficult to get the FC reading. It just didn't want to go colorless completely. I reached that "dead end" around 32 ppm probably. We'll see what happens in the morning!!!

This mornings results:

FC 26 ppm
CC 0.5 ppm

Water was the clearest I've seen it. Added more bleach. We'll see what happens after a day of sun and heat.

indeed!! I just read another post about stubborn algae. It was recommended to remove the ladder. I just ran out there, pulled out our ladder, and while I really couldn't see, I think the water that ran out was pretty nasty!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.