Pentair 011018

drewgost

Sep 7, 2016
MA
Hi everyone and thanks for all the help this site has given me. I have a new pool installed July 2017, have complained about the noise as well as the cost of running the 2 pumps (StaRite 1.0HP and the 1.5HP pumps)
I would like to replace them with the Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified
My question is I am running the typical StaRite 1.0HP and the 1.5HP pumps. with this being a 3HP and I need 2 of them is that ok or is it to strong. Should I look at the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified for both pumps?

Thanks

Drew

Drew,

VS pumps are great because you can run them at low speeds to save on the electrical bill and at low speeds they are very quiet.

If your plan is to install one IntelliFlo to replace both of the pumps you have now, you would most likely have to run at full rpm, where they are just a costly and just as noisy to run as a single speed pump.

If your plan to install two new IntelliFlo pumps, then no, 3 HP is not too much because you will not be using 3 HP... VS pumps should really be called Variable Horsepower pumps as you only use the HP you need.

Whatever you do, do NOT get the SVRS version of the IntelliFlo... The 011018 is perfect.. if you need the control head to rotate you will need to get a newer and more expensive one.. :(

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim thank you for the reply, I will be going with the 2 pumps as the setup shows. I don't feel I need the control head to rotate ( is that just for easy access?)
My plan is to install them myself as I have built elevators all my life and wiring up a motor or connecting pipe is a daily thing for us. Any recommends on where to buy the IntelliFlo? I see them at Amazon and Pool Supply Unlimited?

Thanks again Jim

Drew,

You just need to be able to read the controller from the motor end.. In your case this will be no problem at all.

I like Sunplay, but you can't beat Amazon's free delivery and no issue return policy...

Please let us know how your upgrade project turns out...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do be aware that unless purchased through and installed by a Pentair installer the pumps will have a 60 day warranty.

Pumps ordered with fittings and a 4 year protection plan from Asurion they will cover any damage after manufacturers warranty expires. I put out a request from a Pentair rep to see what is a qualified installer. Seeing I am a professional elevator mechanic and have installed quite a few pumps /motors and doing all the work I would think I could handle this job and be considered qualified.
I do have a question and I am sure I can find it after reading the manual. Do I need the Timers with these pumps or am I only using the adjustments for speeds? I guess my question really is do the pump controls have the ability to turn them off and on by themselves? :scratch:

Thanks guys

The VS pumps are fully controlled by the system included in the pumps. They are to be wired directly to a breaker so will always have power to them.

Do I remove the timers? or just wire them in? I found this on another site: How To Install a Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump - INYOPools.com

The most common timer is the Intermatic T100 Series. For 220v models, the single speed pump is normally connected to terminals 2 and 4. You will need to move the lines from the pump from terminals 2 and 4 to terminals 1 and 3. The reason for this is that terminals 1 and 3 are always hot.

thanks again

I would imagine you can do either. Anything else on the timers? If not, remove the timers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drew,
You do not need a intermatic or any other sort of timer with the intellifo 011018. Step 27 in the inyo instructions are for "IF" you have one.
There are various reasons such as controlling some other pool features, but it isnt a requirement. Quite the contrary.

You can program the pump to start and stop with the programming feature of the built in controller.

No there is nothing else on the timers, so I will be removing those.

I am looking now, but any chance of selling old pumps considering they only have been used for a 1/2 season?

Thanks again guys for all your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.