LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Catalunya, Spain
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm in Spain and this pump just died and I need to replace it quick as my PH has drifted over 8 and I need to get some acid in pronto.

I'm new to pumps but I've just read here that variable speed pumps are the way to go and that bumping up to 1.5hp from 1.0 hp would be a wise move.

I have a 3 phase supply and have seen Pentair Intelliflo mentioned as the 'gold star'. Putting that into google brings up pumps between €1800 and €2100, I can't stretch to that. What would be a good budget variable speed for 2" pipes?

I've done some plumbing and simple swap over electrics but if it needs new power to be supplied I'll have to call an electrician.

I don't have a SWCG or heater or anything, just jugs of bleach and a hand held vacuum cleaner.

Any pump recommendations come to mind?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Maybe confused on your situation but can’t you just pour some acid in the water to bring the pH down and deal with the pump issue separately?

The pump issue is my main issue but I mentioned the PH level as I need the pump to circulate the acid. I've read that pouring acid into a pool without the pump running can do damage to the pool floor.

Reactions: Bperry
@drsipe The pump was running last night but today it wouldn't turn on. After removing a timer panel I found a small reset button which had popped out so i pushed it back in. I turned the pump on and straight away could hear that the pump wasn't turning but was receiving power so immediately switched it off. It sounds like the motor has seized.

@mknauss I have a broom and if I takes a week to get a new pump fitted I will use it to distribute the acid.

Any more suggestions for pumps?

Edit, I was writing this while jsygrls posted, thanks for the link (y)

Last edited:
Three phase motors are usually cheaper and last longer than single phase AC motors. If you plan on driving it with a cheap VFD then you can get variable speed from the reducing your hertz. If you do have the option of purchasing a single phase VS system (motors convert AC to DC for variable speed control that would be easier. Your cost will be greater up front but you may get a better ROI years down the road.
The good thing about either one is that your pump will be nice and quiet.
I run my three phase with VFD at 25 Hz (USA uses 60 Hz), so about 40% speed all the time other than manual vac.
You can get a 2 hp VFD to drive a new 1 hp motor for about $130 in the USA.

Reactions: Desiato

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Three phase motors are usually cheaper and last longer than single phase AC motors. If you plan on driving it with a cheap VFD then you can get variable speed from the reducing your hertz. If you do have the option of purchasing a single phase VS system (motors convert AC to DC for variable speed control that would be easier. Your cost will be greater up front but you may get a better ROI years down the road.
The good thing about either one is that your pump will be nice and quiet.
I run my three phase with VFD at 25 Hz (USA uses 60 Hz), so about 40% speed all the time other than manual vac.
You can get a 2 hp VFD to drive a new 1 hp motor for about $130 in the USA.
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of VFD's but I've just watched this video and it looks a little scary. As I mentioned, I can do some basic electrics but I'm going to need an electrician to install that. Also in the forum I've read that VS pumps are susceptible to power surges and unfortunately, the whole neighbourhood gets knocked out when there is a lightning strike nearby so I need to take that into consideration.

I've also been reading that VS pumps are quite a bit more expensive and the gold standard Pentair Intelliflo go for €2k and the cheap brand Calimar/Circupool/BD/Blue Torrent pumps go for €500ish but they don't seem to be lasting very long and the service with Calimar was non existent. I can get a replacement 38774 pump for €370 and having just removed it (it's been working fine 10/15 years), it looks a simple job to drop a new one in.

I know in the long run I will save some money with a variable speed pump but the up front costs (they seem more expensive) plus the electrician and VFD, it looks like an expensive and complicated job all told and as I need to get this fixed asap, I don't think I have a lot of choice but to drop another 38774 in. Thanks for your reply, that VFD video and the lightening strike info that followed on from it would suggest that I better stick with what I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsygrls
VFD's are not complicated. They are quite simple and many youtube videos out there. Should not take more than one hour with all settings and wiring. They are actually quite cheap with a quick payback when compared to a one or two speed motor.
There are other VS motors out there that you may be able utilize, or a complete new VS pump and motor package.

VS pump and motor package? That's another new term, have always thought the pump/motor was the same thing.
I've just watched this video and he didn't mention anything about a VFD, he just swapped a single speed for a variable speed motor. Nothing's ever straight forward is it?

VFD's are not complicated. They are quite simple and many youtube videos out there. Should not take more than one hour with all settings and wiring. They are actually quite cheap with a quick payback when compared to a one or two speed motor.
There are other VS motors out there that you may be able utilize, or a complete new VS pump and motor package.
Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb. I had to re-read your posts several times before finally realising that a VFD is only needed for converting a single speed pump into a variable speed pump. There was a lot of new terminology for me in your posts and I got a bit lost. Right, so I don't HAVE to have a VFD for a single speed pump and it isn't required for a variable speed pump (which I somehow thought you were saying it was, as I said, I was getting very confused). OK, I think I've understood what a VFD is for now, next. You talked about getting a single phase VS system. Why would I do that if I have a 3 phase supply? I didn't follow what this is supposed to achieve at all, sorry. And if it is a VS single phase pump, would I need a VFD because it is 3 phase and not single phase? Lot's to learn still I'm afraid.

Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb. I had to re-read your posts several times before finally realising that a VFD is only needed for converting a single speed pump into a variable speed pump. There was a lot of new terminology for me in your posts and I got a bit lost. Right, so I don't HAVE to have a VFD for a single speed pump and it isn't required for a variable speed pump (which I somehow thought you were saying it was, as I said, I was getting very confused). OK, I think I've understood what a VFD is for now, next. You talked about getting a single phase VS system. Why would I do that if I have a 3 phase supply? I didn't follow what this is supposed to achieve at all, sorry. And if it is a VS single phase pump, would I need a VFD because it is 3 phase and not single phase? Lot's to learn still I'm afraid.
I dunno what a VFD is but I paid a guy to swap an old single speed pump for a Jandy variable speed. Just hooked up the three wires and plumbed it.

The new pump does have a little display thing on it where you can shut it off, adjust the speed, etc.

I dunno what a VFD is but I paid a guy to swap an old single speed pump for a Jandy variable speed. Just hooked up the three wires and plumbed it.

The new pump does have a little display thing on it where you can shut it off, adjust the speed, etc.
I can now say with utmost confidence that what you have said is completely true, you do not need a VFD if you are changing from a single speed to a variable speed. :cool:

Quick question(s) with regard to VS pumps.

My pool has just shy of 18k gallons and the sand filter says it is designed for 15m3/h. My current pump is 1HP/16,000 l/h and the plate says 2810rpm.

So what should I be looking at if I go variable speed? What are the benefits of 3hp instead of 2hp? Do my pool size and sand filter restrict me to one or the other? No plans to go SWCG if that makes any difference.

Just trying to get a handle on my options before going 'like for like' on my dead pump.

Quick question(s) with regard to VS pumps.

My pool has just shy of 18k gallons and the sand filter says it is designed for 15m3/h. My current pump is 1HP/16,000 l/h and the plate says 2810rpm.

So what should I be looking at if I go variable speed? What are the benefits of 3hp instead of 2hp? Do my pool size and sand filter restrict me to one or the other? No plans to go SWCG if that makes any difference.

Just trying to get a handle on my options before going 'like for like' on my dead pump.
The benefits of variable speed is that you aren’t stuck flushing $ pumping water at high speed when it isn’t needed. Sand filtration works best at slow speed and low pressure. When they are running at slow speed, they are much quieter as well. I can’t even hear mine running anymore so it runs 24x7 and it still cheaper than when I had a single speed pump running part of the day.

The benefits of variable speed is that you aren’t stuck flushing $ pumping water at high speed when it isn’t needed. Sand filtration works best at slow speed and low pressure. When they are running at slow speed, they are much quieter as well. I can’t even hear mine running anymore so it runs 24x7 and it still cheaper than when I had a single speed pump running part of the day.
Should I be looking at 2hp, 3hp or something else? What about my existing filter and pool size steers me to one or the other?

Should I be looking at 2hp, 3hp or something else? What about my existing filter and pool size steers me to one or the other?
Bigger pumps tend to have an easier time pushing water but cost more. It’s a wallet vs horsepower decision like lots of things. Also depends on if you need extra flow for a hot tub, slide, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.