Solar blankets

Hayseed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Keyser, WV
I know this is getting old but it seems ev erytime I go to buy something for my up coming very first pool, I run head long into more negatives than positives, and I end up with the choice between bad and really bad. Am I right to guess you just have to spend an arm and two legs to get something in this pool industry worth owning. I have shopping for solar cover, through web grapevine, Amazon came up. Went their did not see one that had a good review, like I said some reviews were better than others but there wasn't any that was simply good. can anyone recommend a decent over that doesn't rely on a warranty that covers nothing anyway. If anyone would know what the best economical cover would be, it would be here collectively with all the experience. To bad there is not a sticky that already lists pool products from best to worst, with prices along side. Since this is not a product sponsored forum, I would think it doable since no one can complain about bad press on their products. It might however cause pool sale companies to rethink their pushing products they know are not good and only increase their bottom line.

jasaxon is right on the money according to my reading here. I've seen dozens of people (including a few mods) who suggest buying the cheapest, thinnest solar cover you can find because none of them really last longer than two seasons without ripping, getting holes in them or simply dry-rotting.

But several folks have agreed that 8 mil seems to be heavy enough to do the job but light enough to roll up by yourself (just in case you didn't eat your Wheaties that particular morning).

https://www.solarcovers.com/product/crystal-clear-solar-cover-16ft-x-28ft-rectangular-12-mil

That's the cover I got and where I got it from (pick the size that best fits your pool). I also got my cover reel from them.

After 3 years of owning it I can say that it has held up very well for me. It stay on the pool pretty much 24/7, from the end of April to the end of October, unless we are in the pool swimming and it is in full sunlight from 930-530 . I roll it up carefully and keep it flat on the roller when I roll it up. So far the worst damage is a couple of tears from where I have pulled on it too hard. We aren't talking a gentle tug here.

I also dry it out at the end of the year and store it in the basement over the winter. This probably helps keep the cover live longer. Once it's rolled up on the roller it takes up very little space hanging from the ceiling.

All solar cover will fail over time, for me at least this once has served me well so far.

I keep on saying I will need a new cover one of these years but this one seems to keep going.

Mine is on its 4 season now, and it has seen better days. It stays on the pool June- Sep and in full sun. It's starting to get a bit crusty, and has some tears in it. I think it is its last season. It was your plain old run of the mill clear cover.

Now winter covers, I consider those disposable. Those I buy the cheapest I can find. I have never had one last me through two winters without some sort of leaking in the second winter. I spend more trying to clean up a green swamp then the cost of a new cover.

-dave

I'm starting season 3 with an 8 mil blue bubble cover.

It has held up quite well and I take good care of it.

I have noticed a small 3 inch circular area near the shallow end of the pool, where it has delaminated slightly,
but other than that it looks like it will definitely last at least another year or two. As far as I know
the time to replace them is when the bubbles harden and come off floating in your pool.

Climate and direct sun exposure have a lot to do with life it seems.
Those in Arizona for example tend to get 2 to 3 years at the absolute most if the cover is exposed to sun all day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have heard that after rolling the cover up, it should be covered to protect from sun, is this correct or have I misinterpreted?

It will help it last longer, especially if it off the pool for days on end and in the sun. If it is just off for a few hours while you swim I wouldn't worry about it. I bought a couple yards of outdoor upholstery fabric and use that to cover mine.

I've had several over the years, all types.

My first (included in the pool package) was a "space-age" cover, Silver on top, blue on the bottom and was very heavy (12ml I think) and got heavier as it degraded and the bubbles began to hold water. Lasted 3 seasons and I tossed at the beginning of the 4th when I was unable to get it off the pool alone.

I've done Blue/black, which were 10ml. Lasted 2 seasons.

I've done blue, 10ml. Lasted 2 seasons.

Tried 8ml and would blow off with 20-30 mph wind. Lasted half a season because it tore so easily.

None of them "heated" the water, the heavier the ml/thickness the better at retaining heat that was gained from the sun when the cover was off.

The Black/Blue when left in place all day when pool was not in use resulted in little to no FC loss daily.

Tried 8ml and would blow off with 20-30 mph wind. Lasted half a season because it tore so easily. None of them "heated" the water, the heavier the ml/thickness the better at retaining heat that was gained from the sun when the cover was off.

In total agreement, none of them really heat the water, just retain "heat". I have a 15' (1 inch PVC glued, where I placed end caps (curved) not to damage the liner and this actually holds the covers from blowing all over the place. They are kind of overlapped. I cover 5' on one cover and 10' on the other and vice versa. Works great when there are heavy winds. My cover is 12 mil, but assuming this would work on 8 mil as well. Next go around, 8 mil is what I will order.

I am needing to buy a winter cover for my pool. Are they put into the same category as solar covers? Only lasting for a certain length of time then throwing them away. Do you just get a cheap plastic tarp from the box stores?

Mine was a mid grade pool cover. I’ve used it for two winters and based on its condition when I took it off, I probably will only get through one more winter with it. It is already showing some pinholes in it and one small tear where it was rubbing on a corner.

The pool covers usually come with a cinch wire to tighten the cover down against the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.