New build - Katy, TX (near Houston)

Yeah, cookie cutter is right... They have a serious breakdown of communication within their company. My PB and his partner are actually on their way to my house right now. Trying to keep myself in check to have a cordial meeting.. LOL

I think the coping is pretty like that but that is me.

Now that waterline tile...............NOPE!! REDO! The tile is SO pretty but man you can tell they gave up caring on those spots :(

gurrrrrrrrrr on the tablet feeder and "autofill".............can you say cookie cutter??? They always do it that way so don't even bother to notice you asked for DIFFERENT!!

At least you saw it before they were done so it can be fixed/changed to what you want!

Kim:kim:

sorry to hear about the issues...but on the autofill, what you pictured is not the autofill device. That is just how they tap off of the water line and supply the autofill valve. The autofill valve will be mounted by the pool somewhere, it may look like a small skimmer basket hole. Unless that pipe just goes and dumps into the pool...then they gave you a manual fill line. Pretty sure the autofill valve box would have been gunited in.

Yes, that pipe dumps water straight into the pool. :( I do not see an autofill valve box/basket anywhere near the pool. I did some research on autofill installation, and seems like this autofill basket can be installed anywhere outside of the gunite. Only thing is that it needs to have a submerged pipe linking the pool to the autofill basket. Luckily, plumbing crew installed an extra 1.5" pipe for the cleaner hook up, which I won't be using since I am getting a robot cleaner... So, PB can use that pipe to plumb the autofill basket...

sorry to hear about the issues...but on the autofill, what you pictured is not the autofill device. That is just how they tap off of the water line and supply the autofill valve. The autofill valve will be mounted by the pool somewhere, it may look like a small skimmer basket hole. Unless that pipe just goes and dumps into the pool...then they gave you a manual fill line. Pretty sure the autofill valve box would have been gunited in.

I do not see the autofill valve box/basket anywhere near the pool. I did some research on autofill installation, and seems like this autofill basket can be installed anywhere outside of the gunite. Only thing is that it needs to have a submerged pipe linking the pool to the autofill basket. Luckily, plumbing crew installed an extra 1.5" pipe for the cleaner hook up, which I won't be using since I am getting a robot cleaner... So, PB can use that pipe to plumb the autofill basket...
The big question would be how far down (vertically) this extra pipe is. Usually, pressure side attachments are several inches below the skimmers. Since auto-fills have a float (very similar, sometimes identical to a toilet) the float/fill system both use that one pipe. If your pipe is too deep, you’’ll be using a hose to fill long before the auto fill thinks it needs to kick in (you generally don’t want water level to get below the skimmers or you’ll start getting air in the lines and cavitation at the pump and extra vibrations in the plumbing which can cause premature failure).

42400719905_dfa8bd7e41_b.jpg

One of the larger pipes below the waterline tiles is the extra pipe. It's about 5~6" below the skimmer. Does the pool autofill device have ways to adjust the threshold, so that I can adjust when water should be turned on similar to toilet system?

The big question would be how far down (vertically) this extra pipe is. Usually, pressure side attachments are several inches below the skimmers. Since auto-fills have a float (very similar, sometimes identical to a toilet) the float/fill system both use that one pipe. If your pipe is too deep, you’’ll be using a hose to fill long before the auto fill thinks it needs to kick in (you generally don’t want water level to get below the skimmers or you’ll start getting air in the lines and cavitation at the pump and extra vibrations in the plumbing which can cause premature failure).

The auto-fills I’ve seen sit inside their own skimmer-lid-sized reservoir that gets filled by a lateral/horizontal line from the pool such that the level in the reservoir matches the level in the pool. It’s the level in the reservoir that directly affects the filler float. I’m not a fluid engineer so I don’t actually know the particulars as to how that connecting line/size placement affects the level in the reservoir...

You are correct. I think the depth of my "extra" pipe is pretty good based on the installation images below:

42587322914_ec45fa3701_b.jpg

29435391558_d5015f5e1c_b.jpg

The auto-fills I’ve seen sit inside their own skimmer-lid-sized reservoir that gets filled by a lateral/horizontal line from the pool such that the level in the reservoir matches the level in the pool. It’s the level in the reservoir that directly affects the filler float. I’m not a fluid engineer so I don’t actually know the particulars as to how that connecting line/size placement affects the level in the reservoir...

PB and his biz partner came by yesterday, and we discussed everything that I am not satisfied with the work so far.

- Glass tiles
PB asked me to mark the problem spots with painter's masking tape.

- Autofill
PB completely dropped the ball on this one. Autofill never made down the chain of command even though it was listed in the contract. PB mentioned sending a guy to drill a hole through the gunite to install an autofill device. Then, I told him about the "extra" pipe they put in for the cleaner booster pump, which I didn't order... LOL PB and his partner were ecstatic to learn about this extra pipe...

- In-line chlorine puck dispenser
I guess it's a useless gift. PB said they will just add SWCG next to it...

- Fill line from the faucet
I demanded they tap the main waterline or the irrigation line, which is about 50 feet away from where the autofill basket is going to be.

Today, electrical crew came by and installed Omnilogic panel. I believe all the equipment are wired up as well.

41520667080_be5a4be1f8_b.jpg

Notice the flood light hookup! Thanks TFP for the idea!

29460681628_5b86c1892f_b.jpg

This is a picture of pipes that carries filtered water back to the pool. Can anyone guess where the rightmost pipe with backflow valve goes to? It's a mystery to me... LOL
I assume the leftmost pipe goes to spa returns. Then, two middle pipes are return pipes. Those were the all the returns that I was aware of...

41520666630_f992849676_b.jpg

I also decided to add 4 outdoor power outlets around the backyard for future landscaping projects. Since I haven't planned out any landscaping projects yet, 4 outlets might be a total overkill... Three crews knocked this out in 3 hours.
29355873178_39582dca6e_b.jpg

41520672790_215cd3b7c5_b.jpg

29460684758_658cb46e2d_b.jpg

28461515547_f1416572c9_b.jpg

28461514747_a47751cb88_b.jpg

Thats all positive progress. The additional outlets will come in very handy for sure. Equipment pad light will also be excellent just hope they tie it into the automation! Way to go...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m surprised they were able to pull permits that quickly to connect to the main line. I was under the impression that these types of connections required a permit in order to make sure the proper back flow preventer device was present and functional...

4 outlets are grouped in two and are tied into the Omnilogic automation. Equipment pad flood light has its own switch underneath, and is not tied into the automation.
Finally seeing some sense of urgency from my PB...

Thats all positive progress. The additional outlets will come in very handy for sure. Equipment pad light will also be excellent just hope they tie it into the automation! Way to go...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think PB needs a permit to tie the autofill to the irrigation line.

I’m surprised they were able to pull permits that quickly to connect to the main line. I was under the impression that these types of connections required a permit in order to make sure the proper back flow preventer device was present and functional...

- - - Updated - - -

I'll probably listen to their "lectures" through one ear and out the other... Then do my own TFP testing behind their back.. LOL

Pool school is going to be interesting for sure.........we will all learn from it LOL

I bet they were happy to hear about the pipe!

Kim:kim:

Sorry about the crappy picture, but look what I got!! Autofill!! :p

28476604647_7675310aa5_b.jpg

Main water feed for the autofill will be tied into the irrigation line just as I requested.

42441682535_fc69149183_b.jpg

Travertine pavers arrived, and there are 10 workers cleaning up the parameter of the pool to prep for decking.

42441680715_d271bdd726_b.jpg

I saw that in some pool builds PB used ugly rain gutter down pipe catch, so as soon as I walked out to the backyard this morning I checked what they used. I am glad to see that PB is using the proper one (White PVC pipe with the rectangular opening that rain gutter down pipe inserts into).

29475702398_e20bb706ac_b.jpg

42441684475_2237a00588_b.jpg

I am glad to see the sense of urgency from my PB.

Pavers knocked out my deck in two days. Well sort of.. Pavers are coming back tomorrow to polish(?) and put polymer grouts(?) to lock in the stones, and fill in fairly large and unattractive holes found on travertine tiles... I finally got my backyard back, and it no longer looks like a war zone... For that I am pretty happy... LOL

Here are pictures from last two days:

42634841074_9e26057d6a_b.jpg

42447639705_9a219f55a9_b.jpg

42634840554_40d99f4161_b.jpg

42447638885_1f525dbed1_b.jpg

41542944120_b3049d318b_b.jpg

Almost finished product.. Deck is more brown because they are wet.

42657640734_e2e23e4af6_b.jpg

42657651464_00e0c8e32c_b.jpg

42657652154_b9363cd027_b.jpg

28505062107_ff102cd05d_b.jpg

41542946340_1b6eaed589_b.jpg

I was hoping for these water drain covers and I got them! Travertine tiles look more brown because they are wet.

42470114395_5be6648677_b.jpg

42470119565_f8192f2cdd_b.jpg

Paver also made these for skimmer and autofill covers! They sealed in the sand around the skimmer by putting a layer of concrete around the skimmer housing.

28505062607_80f96b5fe4_b.jpg

I have about 700 sqft of deck space. I am quickly realizing that 700 sqft of decking isn't much when you want to put a dining table, sectional sofa and a few loungers. I am already exploring the option of DIYing more decking near the deep end of the pool... It never ends!!

Pavers also installed 4" drain pipe through the side yard that originally didn't drain very well. I asked them to put lawn drains throughout the side yard. Pavers installed total of 3 lawn drains. As a courtesy to my neighbor I asked pavers to install another drain in between my neighbor and my house where we get constant puddle of water due to bad grading.

In my area, it's a standard to extend the 4" pipe all the way to the street with a popup drain. Pavers will dig a hole underneath the sidewalk tomorrow.

42657658944_c64ca9a92f_b.jpg

42657641914_cfa7e03391_b.jpg

Adding drain pipe was an awesome idea and saved lots of cash Im sure. This is something I wish I had done early on in my build...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.