New build - Katy, TX (near Houston)

Once you get your SWG % dialed in prepare to do it several times during the course of the year. As the seasons change and the water temperature changes your chlorine needs will go up and down. I do around 4hrs per day at 20% in the dead of winter, right now I am running 20% for 6 hours, and during the peak sun (say June-Aug) I run around 7-8 hours at 25-30%. My numbers are low due to a cover, but it does show the seasonal differences.

I still want a smart pool controller that adjusts my SWG automatically based on sun hours, pool water temperature, ambient temperature, and my TF-100 test result inputs (one can dream right).

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I was kind of bummed about Hayward's SWCG control functions/smart phone app. It's very basic. Does other brand's SWCG controller offer such fine tuning capabilities? I have a Rachio irrigation controller, and it's exactly what I would envision the smart SWCG controller should be. Rachio automatically skips lawn watering if weather station near me or my rain sensor detects rain above certain threshold, reduces irrigation time based on the temperature, and soil water content due to past rains, etc, etc.

Once you get your SWG % dialed in prepare to do it several times during the course of the year. As the seasons change and the water temperature changes your chlorine needs will go up and down. I do around 4hrs per day at 20% in the dead of winter, right now I am running 20% for 6 hours, and during the peak sun (say June-Aug) I run around 7-8 hours at 25-30%. My numbers are low due to a cover, but it does show the seasonal differences.

I still want a smart pool controller that adjusts my SWG automatically based on sun hours, pool water temperature, ambient temperature, and my TF-100 test result inputs (one can dream right).

I could build something like that with my home automation software, as I have done for irrigation, if only I could access the Pentair protocol. It communicates on my LAN (because the ScreenLogic components talk to each other via ethernet), but I have no knowledge of how to send/receive commands to/from the automation controller and SWG. Such a shame. Pentair, Hayward, Jandy... all proprietary, so we only get what they dole out... :(

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I was kind of bummed about Hayward's SWCG control functions/smart phone app. It's very basic. Does other brand's SWCG controller offer such fine tuning capabilities? I have a Rachio irrigation controller, and it's exactly what I would envision the smart SWCG controller should be. Rachio automatically skips lawn watering if weather station near me or my rain sensor detects rain above certain threshold, reduces irrigation time based on the temperature, and soil water content due to past rains, etc, etc.

I know of no system "yet" that does any kind of smart adjusting. I have a Rainmachine irrigation controller (much like your Rachio) and the unit is awesome. It has a touch screen that you can easily flip through options and it has smarts for forecasting/delays all based on weather trends and local weather stations etc...It is all so simple and powerful - hard to figure out why pool companies can't do something similar. I also think of the Nest and Ecobee thermostats that use some learning to change schedules and things.

We need someone to develop the TFP Pool Controller that installs and works with Jandy, Hayward, and Pentair automation systems and adjusts based on user input test results from the TF-100 test kit to fine tune the settings and pump runtime. Imagine the Pool Math app working in concert with the automation...someday, someday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.