Ready to give up...6 days pool WONT clear! Help plz

May 25, 2017
Erial, NJ
Please help.....my pool will not clear. Obviously I closed too early last year and had a massive algae bloom. Been brushing at nite and vacuuming during day. Started SLAM 6 days ago and pool won’t clear.

Today
FC 15
CC 1
PH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 30

Pool doesn’t lose that much chlorine during the day...at most 4ppm and 1-2 over night. I have water sitting at room temp now as I read that maybe the pool temp is too cold for accurate CYA reading. All chemicals are newly replaced.

Upon opening, my pump was seized and pool
comoany replaced it for $600. I’m wondering if that could somehow be the issue.

I seriously dont don’t know what I’m doing wrong and why it won’t clear. I have been vacuuming blindly because I’ve yet to see the bottom. Shouldn’t it be clear by now? I have seen Somewhat of an improvement from horrible swamp color to a light green but that’s it.

Any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The CC of 1 and the overnight loss tells you there is still something in there for the chlorine to fight. Keep at it!

You mention backwashing 2-3 times a day. As woodyp mentioned, only backwash when you get to 25% over your clean (or post backwash) pressure.

I backwash at about 28 percent. Maybe I’m not backwashing long enough initially. I am learning as I go. Pool is 20 years but husband always did this. He travels and does his thing so I am here struggling with the pool. Trying to learn as I go so please be kind. I will backwash longer so I don’t have to backwash as often. Thank you!

Note: The 25% that was mentioned earlier is related to the change in pressure. Your gauge shows pressure in psi. So what you want to do is note the pressure when you are done backwashing. Then add 25% of that number. That is the pressure when you should backwash next.

Example: If, after backwashing, the pressure reads 10 psi then 25% would be 2.5 so make it 3 for easy numbers. That means that the next time to backwash is when the pressure reads 13.

Hope that helps.

Maybe some more info would be helpful.
You said you can't see bottom.
Did you have a cover over the winter?
Is there debris in the pool that can be picked up with your pole net?
What does the stuff look like that is coming out of your discharge when backwashing the filter?
It might be helpful to post some pics to the forum for the experts.

If you have trouble cause your at your limit, you can donate to the forum to get more space or use the tapatalk app on your phone to make posting pics easier. Tapatalk hosts the the photos.

Thank you for the backwash info. I will try that.

I do have ave a cover....mesh. The stuff I was getting out with my net is dead algae and is quite gross. When I backwash the water runs dirty for several seconds and then runs clear. I will try to post some pics.

I also took a new CYA reading with room temp water. It’s 30 so that isn’t it. Let me try to figure out how to post pictures. The day i opened it until today is definitely an improvement but I am still surprised I can’t see the bottom.

How long does it take to see bottom with SLAM?

I so appreciate ur help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Each SLAM is different but a gross pool can take a while. It’s key to fish as much of the gunk and debris out as you can.

How often are you testing and bumping FC back to SLAM level?

I am checking every hour on the hour and keep a log to see changes.

Let me see if these pics work.

Day 1 Cover removed...worst I’ve ever seen it.

c9a44b6a59353ca9fb7a5b5d46ac099e.jpg

1070e0445e114a9f029aafc2989249fe.jpg

Day 3 Improved but seems to be stuck here.

fe5374c646983f3473030e41223f9e0f.jpg

d806eef0592246e8a0e4cfc3a07c9b3d.jpg

Day 6
3ec38d8eb6957b663c1ad7b49a59e5e3.jpg

38a06118cac041fb194f9cc634f3f457.jpg

You are showing a lot of progress! Your pool started out black. Takes time to clear that mess.

Is there debris in there? If so you need to remove as much as possible... that will only slow you down.

The water in that last picture looks very calm. Are you running the pump 24/7?

Also, that ladder needs to come out, it may have some junk it in, same with any pool lights if you have them.

Ok so I will start taking pics at 12:00 daily to see changes.

Just backwashed at 24...dropped down to 18. Should it be lower than 18? And then backwashing again at 25% would mean I would do it again at 23???? Guess I wasn’t backwashing enough.

Today’s pics....Day 6 12:00pm
f2adcc3dc4a4d405b05c0e85b14a00a4.jpg
1d9b225d943eb4df8c2d765daf8a1654.jpg
c7a4f42caf0430ba19949cb4b7b372ae.jpg

6b2b4f5f735f9051b630055176b65505.jpg

Doing fine, just keep at it. I'm on day 16 personally and my pool looked crystal clear with just junk at the bottom. Mine always takes 2-3 weeks for some reason. Took that long when it looked like yours, takes about that long when it looks clear to start. Just one of those things. You're 6 days in, don't sweat it. It's not magic, nothing you can dump in there will insta-clear it. Look at your day 1 photo again, you've made tons of progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.