CYA Question

Jul 8, 2017
Bostic
Good morning! I have a question about raising my CYA. Just opened the pool three days ago and water is clear. Here are my test results from last night:

CC - 6
CYA - 50
PH - 7.6
Alkalinity - 110
CH - 120

My CYA was 80 last year (when I found this site) and we drained the water level below the skimmer when we covered the pool for winter and filled with fresh water to open it. We just installed a SWG also which I have not turned on yet. Pool math is telling me to add 4.5 pouds of stabilizer to get my CYA to 70. I still have leftover shock and 3 in tablets....can I use those to raise the CYA? Assuming it would just take longer but not sure if it would mess up anything else. And if so is it safe to get the SWG started with my current levels?

My local Walmart sells 4 pounds of Clorox pool stabilizer for $15. I would go that route. That way you'll know EXACTLY how much your CYA went up in only a day or two and it will take alot less time for the CYA to increase.

cn,

A CYA of 50 is only slightly low so there is no rush to increase it... You can either use the tablets or the dry stabilizer...

The reason that you want to increase your CYA is to help keep the sun from quickly burning off your FC.. You can run at 50, if you want, you will just have to increase the SWCG's output to maintain your FC...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks guys! I forgot about the CC. Just tested it again and I have FC of 3.5 and CC is .5. Using Taylor K-2006 test kit. I don't understand why it dropped so much in a day. 6 last night which was target at my current CYA but I added a gallon of bleach just to be safe. ��

Thanks guys! I forgot about the CC. Just tested it again and I have FC of 3.5 and CC is .5. Using Taylor K-2006 test kit. I don't understand why it dropped so much in a day. 6 last night which was target at my current CYA but I added a gallon of bleach just to be safe. ��
6 to 3.5 in one day is 2.5, which is a very reasonable number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.