New Pool - Stained Travertine Pavers, Need Advice.

html75

Mar 29, 2018
Dothan, AL
Hello all,

We are in the final stages of building a new pool/spa/covered outdoor kitchen area. We have just over 3,000 sq ft of ivory travertine pavers. Though we were told it wouldn't be an issue when the pool project was being planned there is huge pecan tree nearby that keeps dropping leaves/blooms and has badly stained the travertine. I'm told by my pool company that they can clean the travertine and get the stains out. I knew that travertine was porous but had no idea it was this susceptible to stains. My question is what I should do after the travertine is cleaned and the stains removed? I will have this pecan tree cut down but should I have the travertine sealed to prevent future staining? I think this is a widely held debate to which there are pros and cons to both but wanted to get some opinions and advice from people that have dealt with this. I don't want to get a cloudy residue or have it be extremely slippery but at the same time I don't want to be worried every time a leaf falls on the deck either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpg
    IMG_8239.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 307
I was strongly against sealing after all I had read. BUT then our travertine was delivered and while it was stacked in the crate on its side leaves fell on it and created stains just like yours. I pretty much decided then I would likely seal. Turns out our pb doesn’t really give you a choice anyway and all warranty to do with paving is scratched if you don’t. We had ours sealed about 2 weeks ago. The deep clean that they did prior to sealing did change the appearance slightly. I guess it just took off the layer of dirt dust and grit. Now they look and feel just as they did beforehand after accumulating dust again etc. They are no more slippery underfoot. You do still need to remove stains but they should come off with a gentle brush and soapy water or a cleaning solution designed for the stone.

Great, thank you all for the advice. I think I will go with Stonetech but now the real trick is finding someone in my area who can do it. My pool company says they do not seal travertine. Any suggestions on how to find someone locally?

I've been looking into StoneTech's different sealers and the more I research the more I am confusing myself. Which sealer do I want to use? I do have a salt water pool but my main objective is to protect the travertine from all stains (leaves, wine, etc) while not losing the look and also making sure the deck doesn't become slippery. They have the Salt Water Resistant sealer but is that the one I should use? I'm not so much worried about protecting the travertine from the salt water as much as I am staining. Any further advice on exactly which product to use would be helpful. I've got 3,000 sq ft so I'm looking at appx 7 gallons so I want to make sure I get the right sealer the first time. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.