New to TFP

Looking at that picture, it's hard for me to believe that you still have any ammonia in your pool. If that were the case, the FC wouldn't have had a chance to work and clear up your pool. Yet, it looks very close to being clear. Once you SLAM it should go very quickly.

Huge improvement from the picture you posted on 5/20.

F7995D31-E8B5-4317-BA8A-EF0F831AFCF4.jpgReagents finally arrived . Here are results!
FC 1
CC 2
TA 120
CYA 0
pH 7.0 ( looks like might be Lowe, but my kit only reads to 7.0
WAter appears slight hazy , not crystal clear.
What is my next step ? Increase CYA ?

also I have a heater and understand the pH should be higher , is that correct?

Last edited:
{pic}Reagents finally arrived . Here are results!
FC 1
CC 2
TA 120
CYA 0
pH 7.0 ( looks like might be Lowe, but my kit only reads to 7.0
WAter appears slight hazy , not crystal clear.
What is my next step ? Increase CYA ?
Water is markedly improved!

I don't think you want to add CYA while you are having CC?

Which PH test only shows 7? (could post a pic please?) (PH dye test should show 6.8 - 7.8 or 8.2)

Can you you run your bubble maker on your spa so as to aerate and raise the PH, if it is in fact near 7?

Sorry having hard time uploading photo all of a sudden. But my test kit is in increments of 0.2 ex 7.0, 7.2 , 7.4 etc

- - - Updated - - -

Haven’t tried, the last advice was to dose to 5. So I guess it is holding since I dosed to 5 at 7am.

Sorry having hard time uploading photo all of a sudden. But my test kit is in increments of 0.2 ex 7.0, 7.2 , 7.4 etc
- - - Updated - - -
Haven’t tried, the last advice was to dose to 5. So I guess it is holding since I dosed to 5 at 7am.

Okay I found the test vial, since it doesn't show the color below 7, that is slight cause for concern. Can you create bubbles in your pool to aerate and raise the PH?
9058-2-1_cde4641a-6295-476d-ad47-5df0e48b568b_x300.jpg

Yes ,that is it, can I put the blower for the spa on when the filter is se for pool or should I switch to spa mode? Sorry for the dumb question

- - - Updated - - -

Orange

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes ,that is it, can I put the blower for the spa on when the filter is se for pool or should I switch to spa mode? Sorry for the dumb question
- - - Updated - - -
Orange

I honestly don't know. It would depend on the way your equipment is set-up. How do you normally run it?

Well there is always a small amount of water through the jets at pool filter setting that spills over into the pool. I have only ever used the blower when I want heavy bubbles when I am in the spa and the filter is set on spa mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry.. I will away for a couple of hrs watching my granddaughter!

Well there is always a small amount of water through the jets at pool filter setting that spills over into the pool. I have only ever used the blower when I want heavy bubbles when I am in the spa and the filter is set on spa mode.
- - - Updated - - -
Sorry.. I will away for a couple of hrs watching my granddaughter!

I've paged the Mod's. Someone with pool/spa knowledge will chime in :)

Pat, if your pH is 7.0, I would just leave it alone. With your high TA, it will climb on its own very shortly. Especially now, that you will be using liquid chlorine exclusively and not tablets for chlorinating. Tablets are acidic and tend to keep the pH down when in use. Pools using liquid chlorine tend to have their pH rise. If it's lower than 7.0, I'd just raise it a little with Borax to get it to 7.2. Aeration is an option with the jets, but that could take hours or even a day or two.

Have you run another ammonia test? I still can't imagine you having any with water that clear. I think you can finally increase your CYA. Shoot for 30 which should require 88 oz according to pool math. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Squeeze every hour or so, and it will dissolve rather quickly. Then go ahead and SLAM your pool with a FC level of 12. Hopefully, it will go rather quickly for you because of your clear water.

Well the ammonia strip I have measures between 0- 0.5 .i haven’t done any bleach dosing since 7am. Should I dose tp. 10 or 5 and then check it that way or go the right to adding the stabilizer?

Ok Thanks ... I have a 7 lb bag of stabilizer, so I would use all but 24 oz? Don’t want to add to much ,and I think it would be easier to measure like this.

Dean 66 ...Well I found a measuring cup. So Ihave 64 ounces in two socks suspended over returns ... that was the hardest step so far in this whole process !
so when do I add bleach?

I think you need at least all 7 pounds of that stabilizer to get near CYA 30. Add it all because even if you overshoot, it's not the end of the world. Not sure how your weather is during the summer, but if it's gets really hot, you'll want the CYA higher than 30. I run mine at 50 year round in San Jose, CA so the sun doesn't burn off my FC too quickly. I usually dose my pool in the 6-8 FC range daily and never let it get below 4. I found that running the CYA less than 50, my daily FC usage would get me dangerously close or even under my minimum of 4 by the end of the day, so I bumped up my cya to slow down the burn off and now I've got a little leeway in case I can't add FC that day.

Make sure to give those socks a squeeze periodically, because that will help dissolve the stabilizer faster into the pool. It will go quickly. Don't be alarmed when you get a white cloud of stabilizer from the squeezing. It will disappear shortly once it mixes in the water. I would go ahead and start the SLAM right now and just assume that your CYA is in the pool, even though it won't show up on the test right away until it's all dissolved and mixed with the water. Just target FC 12 with pool math and dose away with liquid chlorine. Retest FC and dose back up to 12 as aften as possible (minimum 3 times a day) and the SLAM should go very quickly for you.

After the stabilizer is fully dissolved and mixed for about a day, test it so you know if you need to add more. If you do though, just realize that you will increase your FC (both shock level and regular maintenance level). Just follow the CYA/FC chart and you can't go wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.