Lap Pool On The Hill

jerryk1234

Bronze Supporter
Jan 22, 2018
Hayward, CA
20180510_174543[1].jpg

Coming soon... a 60-foot by 12-foot lap pool in the hill behind my house. Digging is done. Steel is done. Nagging the pool builder for when the plumbers & electricians will come. The uphill side of the pool has a "raised bond beam" - essentially a retaining wall, shot in gunite.

This builder is a Hayward shop. Planned equipment includes a variable speed circulation pump, a big multiple-cartridge filter, a salt water generator, a 400,000BTU gas heater, and a motorized locking cover. There will be plumbing for a positive-pressure pool sweep. I may wind up using an electric robot, but the pressure sweep has one great advantage - it's LIGHT. And it would be impractical to add it later. The pool sweep will have its own dedicated pump. There will also be water features - three waterfalls embedded in the raised bond beam. They will have their own pump, too. The raised bond beam will be finished with stone veneer made of chunks of travertine marble.

I have also contracted with the pool builder to "stub out" solar. They will trench up the hill and install pipes so that solar water heating can be
added later. We have already installed a 5.5kW photovoltaic system on the roof. They are also going to add electrical takeoffs for a 220V spa and a barrel sauna.

When the pool builder is finished, we will have a perfectly functional pool....in the middle of the weeds. So I have contracted with a concrete
guy to build us some nice decks and staircases.

This all is getting into ..."if you have to ask...you can't afford it" territory. From my point of view, anyway. :). Looking forward to some nice low-impact aerobics.

Re: Lap Pool On The Hill

This is fun! You really are starting from scratch!

And don't forget the Speed Stir! It's priceless for easy and consistent testing results.

Our new pool is gradually coming together. It's a 60-foot lap pool. The uphill side is a "raised bond beam" aka retaining wall. There will be three little waterfalls in the raised bond beam. First picture was right after they finished the steel. 20180510_174543[1].jpg They've been trenching and plumbing now for a couple days. It's really starting to look like something. And I am getting a feel for where all the money is going. The burning question: when do we get to swim? :).

20180518_130150[1].jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

First thing Tuesday morning! Our 60-foot lap pool has been dug, steeled, plumbed, and rough-electrical'd. We got set back a week because the
county inspector didn't show.

In addition to the pool, we have also ordered a small spa, and a *sauna*.

Hello,

Got an email from my pool builder asking for a choice:

"Can you find out from the client if they want the 14x24x2" coping to be tumble or honed? and sbn or straight edge?"

...We had chosen travertine coping, but it seems we have a few more choices to make. I'm thinking honed, and sealing it with a penetrating
sealer. Not sure what "sbn or straight edge" means - maybe "sbn" is some sort of bullnose?

I did some web research a few weeks ago to find the very best penetrating sealer, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one it was....

Update: SBN is "Square Bull Nose".

- Jerry

...and I really have no idea what exact profile "square bull nose" is. I think I prefer a straight cut, because it's a rectangular pool, and a straight cut would
accentuate that. But my wife is the final arbiter of all things cosmetic.

20180614_182011[1].jpg20180614_182050[1].jpg
It's really starting to look like something. Blue waterline tile, grey travertine coping, chunky travertine veneer on the raised bond beam ( aka retaining wall ). Three waterfalls in the raised bond beam, and three multicolor LED lights in the pool, one across from each waterfall.
The masons are supposed to finish up today, I already issued the big progress payment.

Time to start seriously nagging the concrete guy for those decks!

We're planning to put in an outdoor shower at the close end of the pool. We already ordered & paid for the spa and sauna.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.