Pool Still Green After Opening

I've been up since 5:30 and already been through 3 cups!! Catch up! LOL

No. Last Summer all Summer long I seemed to be fighting algae. No sooner would I scrub the pool and two days later, brown/green spots on the sides and bottom again. Near the end of August we had started getting crappy weather which also made swimming impossible. I also started running out of chemicals and was not about to buy more because by then, I had already come across this site (looking for info for my algae problem) and was reading up on the TFP method. I had it in my head I wanted to try that this year. Anyway, I let the pool go at that point and it was pretty crappy when they came to close it. But they tossed chemicals in anyway and we said we'd just deal with it this year when we opened.

So this year when they opened it of course was green. But it had always been green every year before that (just not as bad) and it was always remedied by triple shocking at opening. Every year before it literally went like this.......open to a green pool, triple shock on opening day, next day blue water but cloudy, I would then vacuum up the junk that day, let filter continue to run, day 3 clear! At that point we'd take a water sample to the pool store and adjust accordingly. And every year it went well doing that except for last year. Every time we'd go in last year we'd tell them about the algae problem but they kept telling us they saw no reason why we should be having issues, that the sample didn't show any problems. It was frustrating for all of us.

This year that easy open/clearing did NOT happen and I even quadruple shocked it from the get go 'cause I knew the state I left it in when closing last year. Needless to say it was still green the next day and I think it was day 3 that we went to the pool store (made my first post here) and they gave us the Alk increaser and that Back To Blue stuff. We went home and added both, followed the directions the pool store owner gave us and cleaned up accordingly. So it was ultimately that stuff that DID get us back to clean, clear water and left us with those test result numbers I posted the other day. I have NOT added anything in other than that stuff and now the bleach since starting this process.

Good morning SummerTimeGirl,

hmm, well. It's raining Boo! You're Grumpy Boo! Are yooouuu sure when you said you are Grumpy that you didn't really mean MADDER THAN A HORNET?

Are you a coffee drinker? I am. I love my brew to get everything woke up in my head. I have some ideas, right now I wanted to ask you to take a deep breath, think about last year/season, you had some troubles with the pool, this year you started off by putting some stuff in and pool went green right? If not I blame my mistakeness on no coffee onboard yet... and now, you are following TFP which is going to 100% exercise whatever has a grip on your pool.

Take a deep breath, relax, let me get my little princess ready and I will be back in about an hour..until then... R E L A X. Whatever this is, it will pass. ok?

You got this and we got you!

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? Yesterday I put stuff in around 3 (and all morning and day long). That was it until I got home at 8 and I added 4 gallons a little after 8 pm when I got home and tested (checked it 30 min after that and it was 13.6, I believe). Then this am I got up, tested, and added 1 gallon (which was more than the calc called for).

And I have been brushing, vacuuming, cleaning skimmer, etc. all along. As for ladders and such, nothing is in the pool. We don't use rails or ladders in our pool and I already took the light out and cleaned. Yesterday I went around every jet, skimmer fixture, etc. with a toothbrush to clean.
I went back through the thread, the first "post test" addition of chlorine was 36 hours ago :laughblue:

Test and add every few hours, get in a brushing if the rain stops for 20 minutes. Also, standard reminder to remove any ladders, lights and check behind weir doors for stray algae.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr............been pouring all night and still raining now. Go out and test in the rain only to find it's 8.2. I'm assuming that's not good. I just don't understand. The water is clear. I see no spots anywhere that look like algae. I could see if the water was murky/cloudy and/or there were visible algae spots but ugh, almost seems like a waste of time and money to keep going. Could something else be going on? I'm guessing I'll have to be doing this out in the rain all day?
Some questions (for ideas)
Do you have lights, ladders (or steps), inlets/outlets, ANYTHING that is not the "smooth" pool surface?
Is the solar heater a "hose" style?
Are you using anything else in the pool (chemicals, additives, dyes, etc)?

What stores do you have local to you? (we might be able to help you source some stronger bleach/aka liquid chlorine

I skimmed the thread and didn't see this info, but could have missed it:
Your Bleach/Liquid Chlorine does not have additives, correct?

You definitely have an army behind you! Stay the course! It will all come together sooner then it seems! =)

- - - Updated - - -
I see you responded to another poster with some of the answers for above (we were probably typing @ same time)

No. Last Summer all Summer long I seemed to be fighting algae. No sooner would I scrub the pool and two days later, brown/green spots on the sides and bottom again. Near the end of August we had started getting crappy weather which also made swimming impossible. I also started running out of chemicals and was not about to buy more because by then, I had already come across this site (looking for info for my algae problem) and was reading up on the TFP method. I had it in my head I wanted to try that this year. Anyway, I let the pool go at that point and it was pretty crappy when they came to close it. But they tossed chemicals in anyway and we said we'd just deal with it this year when we opened.
That is some of the issue =) (less time spent late equals more time spent early)

So this year when they opened it of course was green. But it had always been green every year before that (just not as bad) and it was always remedied by triple shocking at opening. Every year before it literally went like this.......open to a green pool, triple shock on opening day, next day blue water but cloudy, I would then vacuum up the junk that day, let filter continue to run, day 3 clear! At that point we'd take a water sample to the pool store and adjust accordingly. And every year it went well doing that except for last year. Every time we'd go in last year we'd tell them about the algae problem but they kept telling us they saw no reason why we should be having issues, that the sample didn't show any problems. It was frustrating for all of us.
1- Who is "they"?
2- You aren't testing yourself?

This year that easy open/clearing did NOT happen and I even quadruple shocked it from the get go 'cause I knew the state I left it in when closing last year. Needless to say it was still green the next day and I think it was day 3 that we went to the pool store (made my first post here) and they gave us the Alk increaser and that Back To Blue stuff. We went home and added both, followed the directions the pool store owner gave us and cleaned up accordingly. So it was ultimately that stuff that DID get us back to clean, clear water and left us with those test result numbers I posted the other day. I have NOT added anything in other than that stuff and now the bleach since starting this process.
You might have Ammonia from those pool store chemicals that your chlorine isn't strong enough to burn off

And I have been brushing, vacuuming, cleaning skimmer, etc. all along. As for ladders and such, nothing is in the pool. We don't use rails or ladders in our pool and I already took the light out and cleaned. Yesterday I went around every jet, skimmer fixture, etc. with a toothbrush to clean.
Good job! You'll be the proud owner of an easy TFP soon! Just hang in there!

FYI- Took me 5 days after the water was clear to pass the overnight test as well.

Keep throwing bleach and brushing. I told you you would need more than 10 jugs. ;)

More like 10 a day for a couple of days....

We use NO ladder or rails. None in the pool.

We have 4 return jets total and a skimmer and one light fixture. Guess we were writing at the same time cause in my previous post I just got done saying this and also saying that yesterday I took a toothbrush to those fixtures and cleaned all in and around them. Took the light off and cleaned too.

Our solar heater panels are those flexible type? Not sure what they're called

Nope. Since starting here I have not added anything else into the pool but bleach.

We have your typical stores like Walmart, Lowes, various grocery stores, etc.

Not sure on the additives. I've so far used Clorox and also Walmart/Great Value brand.

Some questions (for ideas)
Do you have lights, ladders (or steps), inlets/outlets, ANYTHING that is not the "smooth" pool surface?
Is the solar heater a "hose" style?
Are you using anything else in the pool (chemicals, additives, dyes, etc)?

What stores do you have local to you? (we might be able to help you source some stronger bleach/aka liquid chlorine

I skimmed the thread and didn't see this info, but could have missed it:
Your Bleach/Liquid Chlorine does not have additives, correct?

You definitely have an army behind you! Stay the course! It will all come together sooner then it seems! =)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's the real issue I'm having is knowing how much to have on hand. And, at 7/8 last night I didn't have time to go gallivanting all over for more. The store had 10, I took them. LOL

FYI- Took me 5 days after the water was clear to pass the overnight test as well.

Keep throwing bleach and brushing. I told you you would need more than 10 jugs. ;)

More like 10 a day for a couple of days....

We're probably typing at same time =)

We use NO ladder or rails. None in the pool.
We have 4 return jets total and a skimmer and one light fixture. Guess we were writing at the same time cause in my previous post I just got done saying this and also saying that yesterday I took a toothbrush to those fixtures and cleaned all in and around them. Took the light off and cleaned too.
Our solar heater panels are those flexible type? Not sure what they're called
There could be algae spores hiding in the solar heater, great job cleaning those areas!

Nope. Since starting here I have not added anything else into the pool but bleach.
So (just to clarify) =) Nothing but Liquid Bleach in 2018? =)

We have your typical stores like Walmart, Lowes, various grocery stores, etc.
Walmart & Lowes should both have liquid chlorine in the seasonal/pool section, it should be 11 or 12% and would be MUCH more effective for you :)
Your grocery stores should have SANTIZING bleach (min 8.25% sodium hypochlorite)

Not sure on the additives. I've so far used Clorox and also Walmart/Great Value brand.
A tip I learned here last year, if the sodium hypochlorite % is NOT on the bottle, it's not even 6% and likely has other additives (or it's "hyped-up water", lol)
Clorox (brand) DOES have additives, which would not be helping you

Yeah, that's the real issue I'm having is knowing how much to have on hand. And, at 7/8 last night I didn't have time to go gallivanting all over for more. The store had 10, I took them. LOL
For ourselves, we use pool math to estimate FC of 0 and shock level of 12-16 at the % of bleach we can get. If you know you won't be able to get to a store for X number of days (if you can afford it/the store has stock) grab enough "equal" to raise the FC from 0 to shock for EACH day. That could(should hopefully) give you a (multi-trip) buffer.

Yup on the typing.

And yeah, I suppose that could be happening with the solar panels but not sure why it would suddenly be an issue when everything has been the same. Also no way we're taking them apart/down/etc. to see. Just being honest.

As I said on previous page, when we first opened we quadruple shocked, then added alk increaser and Back To Blue (within the first 3 days) then of course, bleach. But I have since given my full test results and everyone said my numbers were great. Just had to up the FC which is what we've been trying to do.

When I first started I did use some of that 11% from Walmart. As for the other bleach, they DO say 6% on the front.

Good idea on using the calculator in order to try and predict. Just haven't done so. But I just put those number in and if I only got what it said it would take to get to shock, I'd still be behind because yesterday I went through 11 bottles alone and the calc says to go from 0-12 I need a little over 3 gallons. SMH So yeah, if my pool would behave I could probably predict it somewhat but it seems this darn things wants to act up and need more.

We're probably typing at same time =)

There could be algae spores hiding in the solar heater, great job cleaning those areas!

So (just to clarify) =) Nothing but Liquid Bleach in 2018? =)

Walmart & Lowes should both have liquid chlorine in the seasonal/pool section, it should be 11 or 12% and would be MUCH more effective for you :)
Your grocery stores should have SANTIZING bleach (min 8.25% sodium hypochlorite)

A tip I learned here last year, if the sodium hypochlorite % is NOT on the bottle, it's not even 6% and likely has other additives (or it's "hyped-up water", lol)
Clorox (brand) DOES have additives, which would not be helping you

For ourselves, we use pool math to estimate FC of 0 and shock level of 12-16 at the % of bleach we can get. If you know you won't be able to get to a store for X number of days (if you can afford it/the store has stock) grab enough "equal" to raise the FC from 0 to shock for EACH day. That could(should hopefully) give you a (multi-trip) buffer.

Yup on the typing.

And yeah, I suppose that could be happening with the solar panels but not sure why it would suddenly be an issue when everything has been the same. Also no way we're taking them apart/down/etc. to see. Just being honest.

As I said on previous page, when we first opened we quadruple shocked, then added alk increaser and Back To Blue (within the first 3 days) then of course, bleach. But I have since given my full test results and everyone said my numbers were great. Just had to up the FC which is what we've been trying to do.

When I first started I did use some of that 11% from Walmart. As for the other bleach, they DO say 6% on the front.

Good idea on using the calculator in order to try and predict. Just haven't done so. But I just put those number in and if I only got what it said it would take to get to shock, I'd still be behind because yesterday I went through 11 bottles alone and the calc says to go from 0-12 I need a little over 3 gallons. SMH

I didn't mean for you to tear it apart =) Just trying to keep the FC level up at shock level will burn off the (unwanted) chemicals & algae =)

(looking for the test results post) =)

Glad I could offer a little something!

Oh no, I didn't think you meant that. LOL I was just stating that as in, there is no way in you-know-what- I'm getting that nuts!!! LOL

It's on this page:

Pool Still Green After Opening - Page 7

I didn't mean for you to tear it apart =) Just trying to keep the FC level up at shock level will burn off the (unwanted) chemicals & algae =)

(looking for the test results post) =)

Glad I could offer a little something!

yikes, i'm trying i'm trying i'm trying lolol

Ok good. So, you have a good test, and this is where we are and this is what it is. No problem. There is a proven method to get control of that water. Whatever is going on is still going on and whatever products that turned it blue et all, the underlying problem was still there which is exactly why last year it kept coming back. It was never eradicated 100% regardless of how clear the water looked, that is why we do the OCLT test. Because clear water can and will still fail the Overnight Test. However, once you do pass that OCTL, you have CONTROL of your water.

So, while this is and can be "frustrating" it is still just chemistry and water balance so lets make it a decision right now, you are not going to feel defeated because you aren't, that is #1. There is a process that we all must go through, some takes longer, some it's faster but in the end, those that stick with it come out on top and your outcome will be no different.

You need to SLAM Process and let the chlorine and your filter fight for you. Your only job once you have everything set is to check that FC level and eventually you will get ahead of whatever it is and your tests will get down to 2-3 times a day each evening performing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

That is your path forward. Actually that should be a relief but it may take a minute for it to sink in.

Now, I will say this... Take the time to go get that Pool Store Liquid Chlorine and buy 4 cases of it. Just do it. IF you have some left over at the end of the season which you may have 1-2 bottles, you can keep one of your bleach bottles, fill it up 1/2 with the 12.5% + add water and you have the store strength Bleach for laundry.

I know and fully understand all the arguments about store bleach vs 12.5% but fact is, you will have less bottles for trash, you won't be doing what seems like excessive amount of adding each time, you won't need so much dang room for storage. Right now, you need bigger bullets not more bullets.

I hope you take 30 minutes, digest everything and just think it through.

Because you are in this spot, everyone is wanting to help, so you are going to get 2-3-4 ideas all coming at you at once. Slow it down. Think it through.

(SLAM+OCLT)=Victory

How hard you want to work for the victory, that is really what you are deciding.

I remain here to help you all the way through it, your friend,

:cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? Yesterday I put stuff in around 3 (and all morning and day long). That was it until I got home at 8 and I added 4 gallons a little after 8 pm when I got home and tested (checked it 30 min after that and it was 13.6, I believe). Then this am I got up, tested, and added 1 gallon (which was more than the calc called for).

And I have been brushing, vacuuming, cleaning skimmer, etc. all along. As for ladders and such, nothing is in the pool. We don't use rails or ladders in our pool and I already took the light out and cleaned. Yesterday I went around every jet, skimmer fixture, etc. with a toothbrush to clean.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I didn't think you meant that. LOL I was just stating that as in, there is no way in you-know-what- I'm getting that nuts!!! LOL
It's on this page: Pool Still Green After Opening - Page 7
Thanks for the quick link! (and So Sorry to rehash everything!) You're doing great, this is a LONG, BUSY thread! =D
(also as pointed out by a "super" mod, don't mess with the CH/Hardness in vinyl pool, it's unnecessary) Do sometimes check the TA IF you are having LOW or HIGH PH issues (which has been suggested already)

Okay so CYA is 30 per your test, and you stood with your back to the bright sun and glanced at the dot? (just to double check)

IF your CYA is 30 (per your test results), you need to keep your FC @ 12-14 until it does not DROP (during the day time by a point or less) and Overnight not at all.

That is the over simplified version of SLAM Process =) (which you have already been pointed too, not rehashing, lol, just refreshing)

IF you want to get to "trouble" free-pool, gotta get the chlorine holding, which means keeping enough in there at ALL times :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lovely! So............looks like I'll be watching my 2 year old granddaughter the rest of the day as my son has to take my other granddaughter to a doctors appointment then run some other errands. Which means I will NOT be able to be running outside every two hours to test and such. In prep of them coming, I just went out and tested quick and added a gallon+ based on my reading of 11. Not sure what it will say later when I have time to run back out. My guess is it will be down again. Sighhhhhhh

Hey, I was also thinking, I know you guys don't usually recommend it but I DO have some hth brand (cal-hypo) shock still. Probably like 6 bags left. If I'm in a bind would it be ok, just this one time and for now, to toss some in? I was looking through old threads and I see that the one mod JasonLion said to someone else that it does NOT have CYA in it. He also said the inactive ingredients are basically calcium, magnesium, and salt. So, I figure that wouldn't/couldn't be too bad or throw my other numbers out of whack too much. What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, we've been busy here! And I appreciate ALL the help! Most everyone has said to get it to 12. Which I've been trying like crazy to do. LOL And yes, I even did that CYA test several times over to be sure and each time it came out the same. And no, I did NOT stare at it but rather glance while testing. For good measure my husband did it once himself too and got the same result.

Thanks for the quick link! (and So Sorry to rehash everything!) You're doing great, this is a LONG, BUSY thread! =D
(also as pointed out by a "super" mod, don't mess with the CH/Hardness in vinyl pool, it's unnecessary) Do sometimes check the TA IF you are having LOW or HIGH PH issues (which has been suggested already)

Okay so CYA is 30 per your test, and you stood with your back to the bright sun and glanced at the dot? (just to double check)

IF your CYA is 30 (per your test results), you need to keep your FC @ 12-14 until it does not DROP (during the day time by a point or less) and Overnight not at all.

That is the over simplified version of SLAM Process =) (which you have already been pointed too, not rehashing, lol, just refreshing)

IF you want to get to "trouble" free-pool, gotta get the chlorine holding, which means keeping enough in there at ALL times :)

Lovely! So............looks like I'll be watching my 2 year old granddaughter the rest of the day as my son has to take my other granddaughter to a doctors appointment then run some other errands. Which means I will NOT be able to be running outside every two hours to test and such. In prep of them coming, I just went out and tested quick and added a gallon+ based on my reading of 11. Not sure what it will say later when I have time to run back out. My guess is it will be down again. Sighhhhhhh
No stroller or playpen available? My 2yr son loves to help mommy get water samples, lol, my 5yr helps "run" the tests (counts drops, etc) But I understand!

Hey, I was also thinking, I know you guys don't usually recommend it but I DO have some hth brand (cal-hypo) shock still. Probably like 6 bags left. If I'm in a bind would it be ok, just this one time and for now, to toss some in? I was looking through old threads and I see that the one mod JasonLion said to someone else that it does NOT have CYA in it. He also said the inactive ingredients are basically calcium, magnesium, and salt. So, I figure that wouldn't/couldn't be too bad or throw my other numbers out of whack too much. What do you think?
Please don't =)) it will raise your CH/Calcium/Hardness, which in vinyl isn't necessary and WILL lead to cloudy water (the *extra* calcium isn't needed in vinyl) (and nope, it doesn't have CYA) =)
Our walmart exchanged ours for the liquid chlorine jugs, since they were new & resalable. (same price here)

LOL I wish!! This girl climbs out of that stuff. She's a wild child. And she can't be trusted to be outside with me cause she likes the pool too much and wants in it when she sees it. But we'll see. Perhaps if she takes a nap.

As for the shock, that's why I asked. Just figured in a bind, if I run out of the bleach, which I only have like 3.5 gallons left, I could use it. Bleh!

No stroller or playpen available? My 2yr son loves to help money get water samples, lol, my 5yr helps "run" the tests (counts drops, etc) But I understand!

Please don't =)) it will raise your CH/Calcium/Hardness, which in vinyl isn't necessary and WILL lead to cloudy water (the *extra* calcium isn't needed in vinyl)
Our walmart exchanged ours for the liquid chlorine, since they were new & resalable.

LOL I wish!! This girl climbs out of that stuff. She's a wild child. And she can't be trusted to be outside with me cause she likes the pool too much and wants it when she sees it. But we'll see. Perhaps if she takes a nap.
I hear ya! I do! If you are @ 11, when did you last add bleach/chlorine? Has it been 30min? Could you retest FC? (before your little luv arrives) ;)

As for the shock, that's why I asked. Just figured in a bind, if I run out of the bleach, which I only have like 3.5 gallons left, I could use it. Bleh!
I know! It just wouldn't add "enough" to make it worth while (ONLY my opinion), lol, it's your pool =)

I just tested when I made that post. It was at 11 then and so I added the bleach. Figured that's gonna be the last test for a while.

I hear ya! I do! If you are @ 11, when did you last add bleach/chlorine? Has it been 30min? Could you retest FC? (before your little luv arrives) ;)

I know! It just wouldn't add "enough" to make it worth while (ONLY my opinion), lol, it's your pool =)

I'm going to disagree on the Cal-Hypo shock. What strength is it? It should say on the ingredients list.

If it's 65% cal-hypo and you have 6 bags (I'm assuming they are 1 lb bags). If you were to use all of those you'd only increase CH by 22ppm and since your last test showed your current CH at only 230ppm it'll be fine. CH doesn't become a problem until you're above 400ppm.

Yes calcium hardness is unnecessary for a vinyl pool, but not harmful. If it's all you got at the moment and it's not going to harm anything, it's more important to keep the FC up at shock level.

Maybe we can take a poll on this one.

Yup, that's the one. And I believe I have six bags. Maybe one less or more. I'd have to go count quick to be sure. Would be great if I could use it! I'd feel much better knowing something substantial was in there working while I can't tend to the pool.

I'm going to disagree on the Cal-Hypo shock. What strength is it? It should say on the ingredients list.

If it's 65% cal-hypo and you have 6 bags (I'm assuming they are 1 lb bags). If you were to use all of those you'd only increase CH by 22ppm and since your last test showed your current CH at only 230ppm it'll be fine. CH doesn't become a problem until you're above 400ppm.

Yes calcium hardness is unnecessary for a vinyl pool, but not harmful. If it's all you got at the moment and it's not going to harm anything, it's more important to keep the FC up at shock level.

My thoughts were along the lines if someone (in the future) comes across this thread and just "tosses" it in (out of context) it could cause more issues. Trying to cover all bases ;)
Pool School - Recommended Levels

I never said it was harmful ;)

But we got high calcium cloudiness in our vinyl pool last year due to Cal-Hypo :) (so offering suggestion based on personal experience)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.