Pool Still Green After Opening

Yeah, I was just telling my husband that I saw that said on here last week about closing once the temps stay down under the 60's. But for us, that could mean not closing the pool until November 'cause here in Pa we sometimes have warm weather all the way up until the end of October/beginning of November. We usually close the first week of October. Thinking of having them come close later than that now.

Looks good! Once your FC holds, you'll be BORED! lol Not really =)

And I'll add (for FUTURE) maintain FC (non-shock level) through fall until the water temperature stays under 60 (so yes about a month of no swimming "maintenance"), so that you can open to a clear/nearly-clear pool in 2019!! (affordably & enjoyably!)

Yeah, I was just telling my husband that I saw that said on here last week about closing once the temps stay down under the 60's. But for us, that could mean not closing the pool until November 'cause here in Pa we sometimes have warm weather all the way up until the end of October/beginning of November. We usually close the first week of October. Thinking of having them come close later than that now.

Yeah it's all about the weather (tempature), not a "set" time =))

My hubbs wanted to close on labor day ("like the big pool did") and fortunately I was able to keep him on board till it was super cold! lol He IS converted now :) With a LONG happy swimming summer ahead of us! lol

Yeah, I imagine my husband will want to close like normal too. Otherwise he'll start complaining about how the leaves are getting in the pool and blah, blah, blah. LOL But I'm the one who usually takes care of it so I'll be able to convince him. But yeah I'm sure the threat of the fallen leaves and stuff will scare him some due to what happened last year. I'll just have to stay on top of it until it's closed this time around. Will be worth it, IMO.

Yeah it's all about the weather (tempature), not a "set" time =))

My hubbs wanted to close on labor day ("like the big pool did") and fortunately I was able to keep him on board till it was super cold! lol He IS converted now :) With a LONG happy swimming summer ahead of us! lol

I'd feel much better knowing something substantial was in there working while I can't tend to the pool.

STG, you are working toward a TFP pool, please keep in mind, the things suggested by TFP not only make it a Trouble Free Pool, it actually becomes a Bullet Proof Pool.

You are NOT going to lose a lot of ground at all by missing for a few hours even 1/2 a day, at all and anyone that says different I would challenge to a picture post showdown at High Noon!

There is a MASSIVE difference in reading about SLAM and SUCCEEDING at SLAM. I now have 2 under my belt. From SWAMP GREEN to Clear 2017 and currently Clearing 2018.

Yes, you need to follow it, yes to the best of your ability... is YOUR pool going to turn green this afternoon if you don't/can't. As long as you don't add something that will cause it to, IT WILL NOT.

I am trying to offer some calmness to the thread because I think it is warranted. The LAST thing you need right now is a witches brew going on because it admittedly is implied how fast things can turn.

Your TESTS show that you are NOT out of bounds anywhere OTHER than passing the OCLT. That means you ONLY need to be adding/bumping Chlorine to SLAM levels which you ARE SUCCEEDING AT.

That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, I imagine my husband will want to close like normal too. Otherwise he'll start complaining about how the leaves are getting in the pool and blah, blah, blah. LOL But I'm the one who usually takes care of it so I'll be able to convince him. But yeah I'm sure the threat of the fallen leaves and stuff will scare him some due to what happened last year. I'll just have to stay on top of it until it's closed this time around. Will be worth it, IMO.

Mesh Leaf net cover (it's NOT a safety cover) but it is a SANITY saver ;)
It keeps the BULK of the leaves and debris out of the pool itself (you just "clean" it off every few days, admittedly our pool is much smaller then yours, but this cover is So worth it to us!)
Leaf-Net-Insert.jpg

Hey guys/gals, let me ask you something. I know funandsun has been suggesting I go get a few cases of liquid chlorine from a pool store but, how many bottles usually comes in a case where you guys are? This is what I've found so far calling the closest pool places to me (and the closest is still 30-40 min away)..............

Store 1: $25 case/4 gallons in a case
Store 2: $12 case/2 gallons in a case
Store 3: $22 case/4 gallons in a case
Store 4: $18 case/3 gallons in a case

Like what the heck? Why so different? It's crazy!!!! Fun, how many bottles usually come in your "case"? You say to get 4 cases but how many bottles is that in your terms? LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys/gals, let me ask you something. I know funandsun has been suggesting I go get a few cases of liquid chlorine from a pool store but, how many bottles usually comes in a case where you guys are? This is what I've found so far calling the closest pool places to me (and the closest is still 30-40 min away)..............
:kim: Cheers for proactiveness!!

Like what the heck? Why so different? It's crazy!!!! Fun, how many bottles usually come in your "case"? You say to get 4 cases but how many bottles is that in your terms? LOL
2 Questions immediately pop up (for me)
What is the Sodium Hypochlorite %?
Are they TRUE gallons or counting "jugs"?
Without that information, this is only speculation for us =)

Does your Walmart not have (fresh) 10% liquid chlorine in stock? Ours is $3.64 per gal

I get 4 (1) Gallon Jugs in my case of 12.5% @ $14.95 a case

I called another local store yesterday to compare and they have 4 (1) Gallon Jugs in a case for $22.60 out the door (includes sales taxes)

- - - Updated - - -

I bought my 4 cases when I opened, I have used 2 cases already and just emptied my first Gallon over 2 days in the 3rd Case. The 4th case will likely last me the rest of the Summer. It did last year.

I get 4 (1) Gallon Jugs in my case of 12.5% @ $14.95 a case

I called another local store yesterday to compare and they have 4 (1) Gallon Jugs in a case for $22.60 out the door (includes sales taxes)

Not sure about the Sodium Hypochlorite %. To be honest I assumed all the pool stores carry the same %. My bad, I guess. LOL And yes, they ARE TRUE gallons.

Sheesh fun, wish we could get those good prices here. Ours seem to be like $5 to $10 more a case than yours. AND we have to drive 40+ min away!! LOL

Can't help you with the % and $$ but if it makes you feel better, it probably takes me a solid 20-30mins to drive to my old timer, but that's why I buy 4 at a time ;o)

Not sure about the Sodium Hypochlorite %. To be honest I assumed all the pool stores carry the same %. My bad, I guess. LOL And yes, they ARE TRUE gallons.

Sheesh fun, wish we could get those good prices here. Ours seem to be like $5 to $10 more a case than yours. AND we have to drive 40+ min away!! LOL

So store #4 is out, store #2 is out most expensive
Store #3 is least expensive
Store #1 if they are closer and saves you gas or time or both

Don't forget to account for shelf life/product "aging" (if it's a BUSY store, the product will (should) be fresher, so (in essence) stronger)
Also who stores it INSIDE (away from heat sources and/or temperature swings)
Do any of them offer a refill discount?

I have NEVER used this product: But it might be an option for you?
6 gals of 6% @$14.36 Sod/Hypo Pure Bright Liquid Bleach, 1gal Bottle, 6/Carton - Walmart.com

So store #4 is out for multiple common sense violations

Store #3 is least expensive
Store #2 you buy more "cases" and next best price
Store #1 if they are closer and saves you gas or time or both

If Walmart is closer, the price per available chlorine is better on the $1.77 6% Great Value Cleaning bleach if we're just looking at price. If less jugs is the goal, then yup, Store #3 is best. Store #3 is $0.34 per oz of available chlorine, Walmart 6% @ $1.77 is $0.24 per oz assuming its 121oz jug (I can't remember). 10 cents per available chlorine doesn't sound like much, but it can add up. 4 jugs @ 12.5% should raise FC roughly the same as 8 jugs @ 6% but 8 jugs @ $1.77 costs $14.16

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.