Pool Still Green After Opening

Ok. I read I do that via a sock and either in the skimmer basket or tied to an end of a pole or something and dangle it in front of a return jet. Does one way do a better job over the other? Also, what exactly do I use, product wise, to raise the CYA? Is there something preferred over another by most here? And finally, where can I get it? Thanks a million!!!

CYA up to 40 and FC up as well. Keep it at the upper end of the range to give you some wiggle room. The sun ate your FC yesterday.

Ok. I read I do that via a sock and either in the skimmer basket or tied to an end of a pole or something and dangle it in front of a return jet. Does one way do a better job over the other? Also, what exactly do I use, product wise, to raise the CYA? Is there something preferred over another by most here? And finally, where can I get it? Thanks a million!!!
CYA is Cyanuric Acid aka Stabilizer, you can get it from whatever store in your area has the best price =) (Walmart or Ace Hardware has some pool chem sales through memorial day)
use PoolMath to set CYA Now/_??_ and Goal/_40_ and it will tell you how much you need for your pool, in a sock in front of return is preferred method (not touching edge of pool), you don't want to put it in the skimmer and then backwash it out of the pool ,as it does take a few days to fully disperse in the water =)
Once you've added it, you ASSUME it's there and don't have to keep retesting CYA =)

I like the sock in front of the return for a couple of reasons-No chance of it stopping the flow through the skimmer to the pump. Don't have to keep the pump on 24/7 until it is all dissolved, no chance of any of it getting "trapped" in the filter so can test faster.

I bought mine from Lowes. It was the Clorox brand. I hope it test right as some people have seen it not testing as high as they targeted :(

I would test once all of it is dissolved AND the pump has run over night or though out the day. This will make sure it is mixed in good. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve.

Kim:kim:

Everything has been going great with the pool. Haven't upped the CYA yet. Just monitoring for now. I wanted more sunny days to really get a gauge on how much FC is really lost when sunny and if I should/need to raise it. So that's that.

This morning I woke up and went outside and see what looks like hundreds of crystals floating on the water surface. Is this pollen? Wasn't sure. Usually the pollen ends up on the bottom of the pool looking like dust, almost, and inside the skimmer sock as a brown-ish muck. Anyway, this just looked a little different than I'm used to. I was almost wondering if it was from the bleach I added last night. I guess I'm just not used to seeing this because I used to have the filter running from 8am until 8pm. I have now switched it from 10am until 10pm. I tried putting a paper towel under the pieces and then picking them up and nothing really shows on the paper towel. LOL

The same one I've been using since opening the pool, Great Value Bleach. No scent, no easy pour, etc. Just regular. Although I have used the "Cleaning" one and also Clorox as well. I usually get what I can get of either of those but this time it just so happened to be the regular Great Value kind. But I also used that same stuff all this week (I bought 10 bottles last time I went to the store). And it's fresh/has good exp date.

Check the Pool Essentials Chlorinating liquid at Walmart in the Garden/pool section. It is 10% and typically the same price or bit cheaper for the same amount of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I have used that before too, but here it's more expensive than the bleach. But now that the pool is on target, I may eventually move to that or chlorine. I've also done a search on the site and came across several threads that mention this same thing. Seems the consensus (on those threads) thinks it's pollen.

The same one I've been using since opening the pool, Great Value Bleach. No scent, no easy pour, etc. Just regular. Although I have used the "Cleaning" one and also Clorox as well.

As far as I can tell from walmart.com, only the Great Value "Cleaning Bleach" is completely free of adjuncts. All of the "Bleach" seems to have a scent. In store may be a different story, just something to be aware of.

Hey everyone! Been several weeks since I posted. I do still pop on here and there and read other threads and put my two cents in when and where I can. LOL

Anyway, just wanted to say that so far the pool has been wonderful and most definitely, trouble free!! The last half of May kinda sucked as we had a lot of rain and it was also much cooler than it should have been for this time of year here in Pa. The very beginning of June was bad too. Either way, I now know what is "normal" for my pool. It's so stable that every evening I pretty much need to add the same amount of chlorine/bleach to the pool unless we have heavy use and whatnot. But yeah, it's been pretty consistent with what it needs. All other levels have pretty much stayed consistent too. Haven't had to add or change anything.

Once I week I do a total test where I test EVERYTHING (I've also been keeping record of the results). Once a week I also brush down the entire pool (sometimes twice a week). What I love so far this year is that I have not had to whip out my automatic pool cleaner or even my manual one (not since I first opened). I have one of those Aqua Broom things that I use each morning to get what little debris may have settled on the bottom overnight. And so far, it hasn't been much. What I like about the broom is that it does great with getting up the tiny stuff like pollen and also bigger things like leaves.

Our filter cartridges have also been staying clean this year thanks to the fact that I have been using those skimmer basket socks. This time last year I was already having to clean the cartridges for a second time because the return jets just weren't pushing out much. This year they are still going strong but I opened the filter anyway to check the cartridges and they were both still clean!! No big chunks of debris were inside or slimy grime sticking to the cartridges like I'm used to seeing. It's amazing, really, how different this year is going so far! Hope it keeps up!

But yeah, things have been going pretty smooth here with running the pool, thanks to this site and everyone who helped me get started this year. Thanks again everyone!!

Our filter cartridges have also been staying clean this year thanks to the fact that I have been using those skimmer basket socks. It's amazing, really, how different this year is going so far! Hope it keeps up!

But yeah, things have been going pretty smooth here with running the pool, thanks to this site and everyone who helped me get started this year. Thanks again everyone!!
This is such a great success story! Congrats on a trouble free pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.