Pool Opened - Need check on next steps

mmmkam

May 14, 2015
VA
Had a company open the pool this year, but I maintain myself. I have the full TF test kit and here are my initial readings:

PH - Off the chart
FC - 20
CC - 1
CH - 500
TA - 90-100
CYA - 55
Salt - 2400

The pool company must have added some shock else I am not sure how the FC got to 20. I did find some pucks they put into a floater (maybe in the pool an hour) but I pulled them out and took my sample from the deep end opposite of where it was floating.

I am thinking my next steps are:
- run filter pump non stop
- Add sequestrate (purple stuff) up to appropriate level for iron in well water
- Add acid to bring ph down to 7.2-7.5 and help TA
- SLAM by adding bleach to bring FC up to 24 until SLAM complete
- Bring CYA level up to 70
- Add salt to get to 3400
- Let FC level drift down to 3-5 and then turn on SWG

Does this sound about right or is anything not needed or missing?

Thanks in advance!

How does the water look?

Definitely get the pH down first. If you do need to SLAM, the plan looks good to me :) I can't speak to the iron sequestrate.

1. Keep filter and pump running
2. Do not add anything but bleach
3. Do not add acid, reading PH above FC of 10 is not reliable. Wait until FC comes down below 10 to test for PH.
4. Yes you can SLAM
5. Do not add CYA, until you finished SLAM and pass an OCLT test.
6. Do not add salt yet until you are able to turn on your SWG, that is after you pass oclt test.
7. For a SWG FC/CYA ratio, your target is FC 5ppm
8. Remove Pucks

After your pool is running stable levels you can try to lower your TA to use less MA to keep the ph from drifting too much.

Felipe

How does the water look?

Definitely get the pH down first. If you do need to SLAM, the plan looks good to me :) I can't speak to the iron sequestrate.

Water looks pretty good actually. Not green at all, just a bit hazy.
Found a note left by the guys that opened it. Looks like they added shock and 1 QT of algacide.
I will up the FC with bleach to 24 tonight, check it again tomorrow and proceed from there.

Flying Tivo caught your FC, I missed it. He/She is right, you don't know what your pH is due to the high FC. Let it drop to below 10, test and adjust pH and then SLAM away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.