UV water sanitizer and O3 ozone pure water

Sid,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your pool myth questions... :shark:

Unless you come from that unknown part of Texas that does not see the sun, then your UV system is a little redundant... Ozone is one of those things that sounds nice, but in practice does very little, if any good. I like to say... "All Magic, but no Rabbit..." The main thing they do is transfer money from your pocket into your pool builder's pocket.

I do believe that they have an placebo effect and make the pool owner think they are doing something when they are not. I suggest you run for two weeks with them turned off and then two weeks with them turned on and see if you can objectively see any difference.

How are you currently chlorinating your pool? Are you using 3" tablets? Are you also adding weekly or semi-weekly doses of Pool Store "Shock"?

TFP is all about measuring the chemicals in your pool and then using that data to determine if anything needs to be added or not. To do this you need to be able to measure your own pool water so that you can get quick and accurate results.

How are you currently testing your pool water?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim
Thanks for your response. I do my own testing of pool with a 5 way test kit. Been to Leslie’s a couple times for cya and ch test. I started with 3 three inch tablets, which are almost dissolved. Not planning to use chlorinator anymore. Not using shock at this point. Using only 8.5% liquid bleach for sanitizer. Using baking soda for TA and murratic acid for lowering Ph. So far I have been successful with keeping the numbers in the sweet spots, but this pool hasn’t seen texas heat yet. Been running pool bout 5 hours a day. I’m a rookie at this chemical stuff but learning a lot from TFP folks. Thanks

I was sold on one of these clear o3 things and my water has been absolutely crystal clear and almost molten glass looking when pump is running, even when my FC has been on the low side for a couple of days. That said, I have absolutely no idea if this thing is actually doing anything. The only thing I'm 100% certain it did was lighten my wallet by $750 dollars. I think I am just going to run it until the bulb burns out and then see if anything changes. If anything does I would be happy to report on it.

Sid,

Thanks for the feedback.. I recommend that you get a better and more accurate test kit. I say this because pool store testing is often not close to being accurate. You can take the same sample of pool water to three different pool stores and come away with three different readings... :confused:

I use the TF-100, but the Taylor K-2006C works well also.. (And yes the "C" is important..)

Besides testing your own pool water, the most important thing to do is to keep your CYA and FC in balance.. If you can do that, you will never get algae.. See this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

This is very important in the summer, when the sun can consume your FC pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Along7474,
Same here ,,, I will run my ozone and OZ3 clear water stuff until I need for bulb replacement. Will make a decision at that point. All I know now at this point is my Water is perfectly clear and the grandkids are not complaining of anything with skin or eyes. Water still chilly for me to try it... Grandkids love it at 66 degrees

Jim R
I said that I use a 5 way test kit. I did not mention the brand name of test kit I was using. Why do you say that should I use a better test kit like taylor or tf100. How do you know what one I am using??? I may be using the one you have mentioned... Just curious how You are getting the info of what I utilize for my pool to test my pool. thanks.
what does the acronmy "C" stand for???

I venture the remark was made because “5 way” is a blanket term & FC is not measured.

Jim R
I said that I use a 5 way test kit. I did not mention the brand name of test kit I was using. Why do you say that should I use a better test kit like taylor or tf100. How do you know what one I am using??? I may be using the one you have mentioned... Just curious how You are getting the info of what I utilize for my pool to test my pool. thanks.

Sid,

When you sign into TFP a small drone is launched that hovers about a thousand feet over your pool, so that we can watch everything you do... :D

Actually, I am just surmising based upon the fact that you have to go to the pool store to get your CYA and CH tested.. Both the TF-100 and Taylor K-2206C contain both of those tests.

Just to be clear.. all the people that work here are volunteers... We are all pool owners, just like you, that found TFP because we ran into trouble trying to maintain our pools using Pool Store advice and products. Our only goal is to provide you with advice on what we believe works best.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We know you are not using one of the kits that measures FC because it is a 5-way kit. When you have been on this site long enough you pick up on these things easily. The OTO test included in these kits (the yellow chlorine test) only measures Total Chlorine and is not especially accurate. It's a great test for a quick "yep, chlorine looks about where it should be" but does not offer any real accuracy. Total Chlorine is both Free and Combined chlorine, but does not tell you how much of each you have.

The TF-100 and K-2006 have a test called the FAS-DPD chlorine test. This allows you to accurately measure Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine separately down to 0.2 ppm precision. You won't find these kits at the store very easily, not even many pool stores have it. So you don't need to tell us what exact kit you are using for us to know it is not up to the task, tin foil not required.

The five tests in 5-way kits are usually total chlorine, total bromine, pH, CH, and TA. On top of not testing FC it likely also lacks a CYA test. Unfortunately these are the most vital numbers needed to assure that your pool is not only clear but sanitary as well.

What test kit does not test for chlorine? How does anyone say my test kit is not accurate when I have not mentioned the test kit I am using?

See, you are changing the question. before you asked what kit does not track free chlorine and the correct answers were given - many kits don't, including the OTO test that comes with a 5 way kit.

JD has you covered on the test kit answer, a five way does not test free chlorine, it tests total chlorine.

I guess I should ask, how much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

This will give you a basis on why folks automatically know stuff and why your kit needs an upgrade.

As to the store testing the CYA for you I will give you my history... When I purchased a house with a pool I did what most folks do, I visited the local pool stores (yes, I went to a couple of different ones) to have my water tested. I was always confused with why numbers were different. As a test I took three water samples to three different stores, one right after the other. You can probably guess, I got three different reports with three different "plans" I should follow. Now all three for them gave me CYA numbers in the 80 - 200 range. Once I got my own test kit I discovered m CYA was really about 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says).

It's up to you. Stick with a test kit you feel is fine and with a little luck have a good pool season or invest in a quality kit and be sure you will have a great pool season.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Hello Sid,
I believe we are close neighbors. I was one very frustrated pool owner before finding TFP. There are incredibly helpful people here on this site guiding many folks to Trouble Free Pool care on their own time. Everyone is a volunteer. If you are money conscious then shutting them down makes the most sense as they are not doing anything for your pool and are consuming electricity.

I would be more than happy to have a cold one with you and bring my test kit over and we can have a testing party. Just send me a PM.

Ok...

Directly from Pool Master's website: "Tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid Demand, and Total Alkalinity"

Basic 5-Way Test Kit - Poolmaster

Yep, that's 5. If it included FC and CC then they would call it a 6-way kit. OTO does not give you accurate or precise FC or CC readings no matter what the instructions lead you to believe.

Neither the TF-100 nor the K-2006 are marketed as a "5-way test kit" and I am really lost at this point why that keeps getting brought up. It does not matter if a kit has 5 tests or a dozen, if it doesn't test the correct things with the correct tests then it is not adequate.

To repeat what I said above: This Pool Master kit does not have an FAS-DPD chlorine test that can accurately and precisely measure both FC and CC. It does not have a calcium hardness test, which you haven't mentioned if you have a plaster pool but if you do that test is vital to the health of your finish. It does not have a CYA test, which is necessary for knowing the proper chlorine level to maintain. That is two vital tests for all pools, and three vital tests for all pools except vinyl ones. I would certainly consider that wholly inadequate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.