UV water sanitizer and O3 ozone pure water

Regardless of whether or not the 5-way test tests FC, it's chlorine test maxes out at 5. If your CYA is 40 or higher, then your target FC is 5 or more and you can't even test it then. If you get algae and need to SLAM Process your pool, then at any CYA you'll be targeting a minimum of 10 FC, maybe even up to 20 FC or higher.

Just for fun I want to look at those instructions again since the conversation has run its course. This is directly aimed at the test kit company and NOT in any way at the OP.
"4. Free Chlorine Reading : Within 2-3 seconds, compare color with chlorine standards on left to determine the Free Chlorine ppm level.
Combined Chlorine Reading: Wait 1 to 2 minutes and compare again to determine the combined ppm level. A large difference between the two readings (more than 0.2 ppm) indicates a need for superchlorination."

So, according to the instructions you are supposed to add the drops, cap and shake it quickly, and then within a second or two read the shade of yellow accurately. If you don't get it in the first couple seconds then you messed up and need to start over. And make sure you are extremely accurate or the next step won't work. Ok, so now that you know your exact shade of yellow sit the test down for a couple minutes. After a couple of minutes read the test again. Determine if the shade of yellow is more than 0.2 ppm more than the previous shade of yellow. If it is then you have a CC problem. So read those shades carefully!

With the kind of resolution Pool Master thinks its OTO test is capable of accurately giving who needs an FAS-DPD test? I always thought counting drops was the best way to get an accurate reading to 0.5 or 0.2 ppm resolution, but according to Pool Master you can do that with an OTO test within seconds. I have been wasting my time :laughblue:

That "5 Way Test Kit" tests for bromine. You don't even *have* a bromide pool, do you? So that's really a "Maybe 4, maybe 3 Way Test Kit" huh?

Another reason we like everyone to have the same quality of test kits is that we're all speaking the same language. When you say your TA (Total Alkalinity is 90, we know you're going to be correct as we're all performing the tests the very same way and we know what to ask you if something was off.

Maddie :flower:

Sid,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your pool myth questions... :shark:

Unless you come from that unknown part of Texas that does not see the sun, then your UV system is a little redundant... Ozone is one of those things that sounds nice, but in practice does very little, if any good. I like to say... "All Magic, but no Rabbit..." The main thing they do is transfer money from your pocket into your pool builder's pocket.

I do believe that they have an placebo effect and make the pool owner think they are doing something when they are not. I suggest you run for two weeks with them turned off and then two weeks with them turned on and see if you can objectively see any difference.

How are you currently chlorinating your pool? Are you using 3" tablets? Are you also adding weekly or semi-weekly doses of Pool Store "Shock"?

TFP is all about measuring the chemicals in your pool and then using that data to determine if anything needs to be added or not. To do this you need to be able to measure your own pool water so that you can get quick and accurate results.

How are you currently testing your pool water?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
And Thanks for the invitation to TFP

Clear O3 and Ultra UV Sanitzer by Paramount effects of Chlorine

Ok,
New pool here and new to how things work from a pool I owned 30 years ago.
See signature to what pool I have now.
Todays numbers on test just completed 30 minutes (2 PM cdt) ago on 9 APR 2018 using a Taylor 2006
Non Swg
9Apr2018

FC=4.4
CC=0
pH=7.4
TA=80
CH=350
CYA=30
CSI=0.1
Pool temp=56 F

Know this is a touchy subject concerning the OZ3 and Ultra sanitzer (by Paramount) with some on the group here. My question is concerning Chlorine. Most of what I have heard is that these 2 pieces of equipment has no effect or little on making water with fewer contaminates. According to the CYA/CL chart here on TFC, I should keep my target FC at 5. Now for the BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) question. Is it possible to keep my FC (free chlorine) level a little bit lower by running the above mentioned equipment??????

Love all the valuable info I've have gotten by reading here on the forum.

thanks

Re: Clear O3 and Ultra UV Sanitzer by Paramount effects of Chlorine

Sid/
We meet again. I think you really want to hear what no one here is likely to tell you...... But we can wait to see.

With CYA of 30 your FC target is 4-6 with minimum of 2. Do you have concerns with the 5ppm FC?

Sid,

You can do anything you want... it is your pool... :p

My question back to you is why??? With a CYA of 30 and an FC of 4 or 5, you can't smell it, you can't feel it, so why do you want to run at a lower level???

UV and Ozone systems are not really a "touchy" subject here... Over time we have just found they do nothing to help sanitize a pool... But, it is pretty hard to prove it to someone that has had them installed in their pool.

It is like the old joke about the magic stick that keeps wild elephants away... The fact that there are no wild elephants in Sachse just proves that the magic works. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bottom line up front answer is: no.

But as said, your pool, do what you want. You have all the information on this site available that documents the benefit, or lack of benefit of UV and ozone. You have all the information on this site that documents the effects of CYA on chlorine and why the recommended levels are what they are. If, after reading all of this information, you decide to do something different then that is your decision to make.

guess what I really need to hear is from folks that have used this equipment; think I've read alot that have not used it...Guess I'm a numbers guy. Just need some test results, instead of "no"or "yes" this doesn't or does work.
Again, love You guys for all the info... Think My test numbers are ok cause of what I've learned from this site,
Aloha
THANKS GUYs And GALS

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tim,
Think I got it now.. Just looked up what the "agument ad ignorantiam"
Thanks Tim

It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven that is false or a proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true. This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false.

Now I know why there are no tests numbers anywhere.
I used to call it a "WAG" ="Wild A.. Guess.”

Thanks TO ALL for the info

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.