Good Bye DE Filter.. need help please

Diaz

Mar 19, 2018
Fl
It’s time for a new filter my de filter is done I have repair it twice for leaks but I’m ready for a change. I’m over the DE maintenance and want to switch to a Cartridge Filter. My pool is about 21000 gallons. Can I get some help in finding the minimum sqfoot filter for my pool.

so far I have found two models that look good and the price is good as well.

Pentair ccrp 200

Hayward C2030

Hi and welcome to TFP! Glad to see you here!

For your new filter you are asking for us to help you find the smallest filter you can get for your pool. You are asking the wrong people that LOL We almost always say go as big as your wallet can handle. The reason being is that you will have to clean it less the bigger it is.

Something else you will need to take into account is your equipment pad. How much room do you have? Make sure to do some measuring and such to make sure this or that filter will fit.

I don't know if this helps or hurts your hunt but I do hope it gives you some food for thought.

Kim:kim:

How big do you recommend I go for my pool? I’m not trying to go small just trying to go at this the right way without blowing my pocket out. My de filter is huge I have planet of space.

d,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to "filter" out the answers to all your pool equipment questions... :shark:

I have both DE filters and a Cartridge filter... Other than the DE powder itself, there is not a lot of difference in the amount of effort, and time, it takes to clean them... With a small DE filter, you normally have the option to backwash between cleanings. You don't backwash cartridge filters, so with a small one, you will find yourself taking it apart much more often.

As Kim says, go big as you can.

I have a 17K pool and a Pentair CCP 520 filter at my house. I suspect I could go for a year between cleanings, although I normally clean it twice a year. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

While I do some looking around you can help us help you faster. Can you please fill out your signature with your pool kind, size (gals), equipment as it stands and any special features it might have.

Go to settings (top right)
edit signature (middle left)

This will allow us to know the details of your pool at a glance.

THANKS!

I have a 17K pool and a Pentair CCP 520 filter at my house. I suspect I could go for a year between cleanings, although I normally clean it twice a year.
Diaz, just for comparison's sake ..... unlike Jim, I have a single cartridge filter that came with my pool of just under 18K. In the non-swimming months, I take it out about every 1-2 months for a quick rinse. In the warmer swimming months however, with lots of activity, swimmer's load, bugs, dust, etc, I remove it about every 3 weeks for a rinse. Just so you have something to compare to between the sizes. Your local conditions and amount of use will certainly influence that as well. In the future, I may try to upgrade as well just to cut-back on the amount of cleanings.

Have fun shopping!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The type of filter preference is unique to the pool and person buying it. In many cases, any of the 3 type will work for a pool, so it becomes a matter of convenience, and perhaps local conditions dictate which filter best. If you haven't seen it yet, here is the TFP Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison page. When a pool is maintained properly (chemically), all 3 filters will do well. You are replacing a DE, so you're used to backwashing etc. In your area, losing water/chemicals to backwashing may not be an influence on your decision. I think sometimes owners just get tired of certain aspects of their filter and want a change.

As for the 2030 size, it could work, but as one of the smallest 4-ctg systems may be pushing it. Your pump size doesn't seem to be an issue, but at 21K you might like something slightly larger - perhaps the Hayward 3030. Honestly, some here are better at crunching those numbers than I am, so we'll see if someone else picks-up on the thread for that one. If not soon, check back in for an update.

I love, love, love my sand filter! It is SO easy! Now saying this I had the cartridge when I did not have a clue about taking care of a pool. WAY before I found TFP so I am sure that had a LOT to do with it! Cleaning a sand filter involves turning the handle to "back wash" and letting it does it's thing. Then turning the handle to rinse and let it do it's thing. Once it is done you just turn the handle again to filter and call it good! Now about once a year I do a deep clean which is a little more work and wet work.

If you're on well water than has metals in it, like iron, or you have water with a lot of CH in it already, you'd benefit from a cartridge filter. No backwashing with cartridge filters means less topping off and therefore less adding more iron or CH to your pool.

I’ll give you another data point and relate it to Duraleigh’s post. My pool is 27k and I have the 3030 cartridge. It goes about 3 months before needing cleaned based on a 25% rise in PSI indicating a need to clean it.

So it would generally go that or longer for you. Meaning clean mid season and at year end. Or if you went larger, you could get even more time, relatively speaking, since my pool size is also bigger.

The 3030 has a flow rate max of 120 gpm so that would be fine. Larger filters would have higher flow rate maximums. The 2030 might get old cleaning it since you are in FL and have a long swim season. I’d upsize by one at least of it were me. One would be good, two overkill but not a problem.

I only know cartridge so no thoughts on other types from me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.